Swamp Rat and Wombat

This is about as fancy as it gets for me when it comes to food

vegemite-toast.jpg

Breakky of Champions!:thumbsup:

Small swine..

"Michael Jackson" ....before he ate the Vietnamese Fisherman just near where I took this.....

Turtle I found wandering around my back year...

Leech....

Frog...

Toilet Frog...

Another Hog...

Buggered if I know....but in my yard...

Bush Turkey...

Ringtail Possum (removed from my dogs mouth - only the tail was visible !!)

Last edited:
Just went out to put the generator on as the solar system was a bit low and almost stepped on this in the dark... Lucky I heard a chewing sound coming from near my feet. It's raining so the baby wombat is looking a bit scraggly tonight.

W10.jpg

I had to down a "Six-Pack" of VB (Victoria Bitters) to get that taste off my tongue!!!

One of the families at my son's school is from Oz (the mom) and they occasionally do a little school market where kids bring stuff in to sell - food, jewelry, etc. Her son always brings Vegemite on toast. Most of the kids, our son included, say it's disgusting!

Just went out to put the generator on as the solar system was a bit low and almost stepped on this in the dark... Lucky I heard a chewing sound coming from near my feet. It's raining so the baby wombat is looking a bit scraggly tonight.

W10.jpg
Once he or she gets used to you and senses you are not a threat, you may have a new mate for a while. They do hang around.

I don't have any direct experience with crocs, but I was in Florida once hanging out with a bunch of locals. We were driving around and they were showing me the sights. On the side of the road next to a swamp was a big alligator, just lying there. They pulled up and said "You know alligators aren't like crocodiles, they're pretty placid, you can walk right up to them. You should try it."

So I get out and walk a bit closer. I notice that they are all still in the car. I say something like "Are you sure they're placid and won't bite me?" and they all nodded yes from the car. So I walked a bit closer, and it didn't move, I looked at them and they all nodded encouragingly. So I got a bit closer, and a bit closer, and it still didn't move. They gave me the thumbs up.

I got really close, maybe a metre or two away, and it still didn't move. I thought "They're right, gators really are placid." It looked very cool close up. I looked at the car and gestured kind of 'Is this okay?' and they all stared at me but didn't say no so I shuffled a little bit closer and it whipped around and opened it's mouth and I ran for it.

They all laughed of course. C'mon now. No Aussie would do that to a tourist with Crocs !!!

I don't have any direct experience with crocs, but I was in Florida once hanging out with a bunch of locals. We were driving around and they were showing me the sights. On the side of the road next to a swamp was a big alligator, just lying there. They pulled up and said "You know alligators aren't like crocodiles, they're pretty placid, you can walk right up to them. You should try it."

So I get out and walk a bit closer. I notice that they are all still in the car. I say something like "Are you sure they're placid and won't bite me?" and they all nodded yes from the car. So I walked a bit closer, and it didn't move, I looked at them and they all nodded encouragingly. So I got a bit closer, and a bit closer, and it still didn't move. They gave me the thumbs up.

I got really close, maybe a metre or two away, and it still didn't move. I thought "They're right, gators really are placid." It looked very cool close up. I looked at the car and gestured kind of 'Is this okay?' and they all stared at me but didn't say no so I shuffled a little bit closer and it whipped around and opened it's mouth and I ran for it.

They all laughed of course. C'mon now. No Aussie would do that to a tourist with Crocs !!!
The Florida Alligator usually will only attack someone to protect a nest so you were likely in no real danger. He/she was likely posturing out of fear but I've been there so I know how intimidating it can be. I was playing in a golf tournament one time and it was a "real" one where you have to finish every hole and count every stroke. Well, on a par 3 I hit my tee shot about 2 meters from a large female gator and had to chip onto the green with her standing right behind me and eyeing me. Usually you can scare them away by walking towards them fast. Well, she was used to golfers and she wasn't moving. This would've been a pretty easy chip shot but that gator gave me the yips so I ended up getting a 5 or a 6 on the hole.

Gators you say...

..... I went out in the Everglades (air boat) with a guy who has tournament fished allover the work from a kayak, we got to talking about Crocs vs Gators and basically said that there was very little he would do around Gators that he would around Crocs (like stepping over one that is floating between the jetty and air boat as well did...LOL I could have petted the little one pictures above...but I didn't....it would be just my luck !!

One of these two skulls...

....is from "Michael Jackson" pictured above. They were taken at the Coronial Inquest into the death of the fishermen (two people were taken by two different large lizards in a short period so they held the inquests concurrently as much of the evidence was from the same people).

Back