Swamp Rat and Wombat

Gators you say...

..... I went out in the Everglades (air boat) with a guy who has tournament fished allover the work from a kayak, we got to talking about Crocs vs Gators and basically said that there was very little he would do around Gators that he would around Crocs (like stepping over one that is floating between the jetty and air boat as well did...LOL I could have petted the little one pictures above...but I didn't....it would be just my luck !!
Yeah, anything that big with large teeth will give you a scare but alligators aren't very aggressive by their nature unless a female is protecting a nest or they are VERY hungry.

A guy working with my wife was attacked by a female his first day on the job. He was wading through the marsh at a nature preserve here in South Florida and got too close to the nest. She (the gator) didn't puncture his hip waders so he just had some bruises but it sure scared the :poop: out of him.

The company ordered a bunch of Sogfari knives for anybody that went in the field so I ended up with my wife's when she left the company. I use it when chopping sometimes if my Battle Saw isn't close by.

It's just more tender I think. Roo meat is good stuff !

Roo tastes to me a little like elk. Fantastic meat. Won’t touch it anymore. Made the mistake of going to .... I think it was Cleland Wildlife Park near Adelaide. Got to pet a ... Western Gray(?). Practically held hands with it. I’ve got photos around here somewhere. Won’t touch kangaroo meat after that. I’ll hunt, kill, eat, deer all day long. Elk. Turkey. Even squirrel. No more roo.

Not an option in the States anyway, so don’t need to worry about it.

A Swamp Wallaby is living outside my back door now.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.21.09_pm.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.19.20_pm.jpg

Here are three photos from the last three days of it sleeping. Apparently they sleep sitting up.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.11.31_pm.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-15_at_10.12.36_am.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-15_at_10.12.12_am.jpg

A Swamp Wallaby is living outside my back door now.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.21.09_pm.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.19.20_pm.jpg

Here are three photos from the last three days of it sleeping. Apparently they sleep sitting up.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-13_at_2.11.31_pm.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-15_at_10.12.36_am.jpg

Screen_Shot_2020-07-15_at_10.12.12_am.jpg
This is why this is such an informative thread, so much to learn. I have never heard of a Swamp Wallaby.o_O

Just spent a week out bush....I have always seen Wombats on the place I was staying but this trip it was more than I ever recall. One hole I nearly fell in could have housed a ballistic missile !!

Just spent a week out bush....I have always seen Wombats on the place I was staying but this trip it was more than I ever recall. One hole I nearly fell in could have housed a ballistic missile !!
G,day mate, do you have any thoughts on why there were so many? Have a good week, and look after yourself.

G,day mate, do you have any thoughts on why there were so many? Have a good week, and look after yourself.
.....not really mate. Property has (like everywhere) been in drought for years but now looks as good as I have veer seen it (creeks are flowing and the grass is green and growing), it adjoins a Nat Park and perhaps the conditions in there are not as good and they have moved out their range a bit. Where I would normally see one or two a day while I was out hunting it was more like six or seven this trip. I was also hunting lower than I normally would, maybe those that lived higher on the place have followed the water down during the drought and stayed.

.....not really mate. Property has (like everywhere) been in drought for years but now looks as good as I have veer seen it (creeks are flowing and the grass is green and growing), it adjoins a Nat Park and perhaps the conditions in there are not as good and they have moved out their range a bit. Where I would normally see one or two a day while I was out hunting it was more like six or seven this trip. I was also hunting lower than I normally would, maybe those that lived higher on the place have followed the water down during the drought and stayed.
Maybe, and i have no science to back this up, a lot of Australian Natives, do not breed in drought and harsh times when food is scarce, but then their reproduction cycle can make up for lost time when the conditions are really good, which it sounds like they are. A park ranger for the Victorian old parks and national ranges dept. told me that years ago. I became really good mates with him when i used to hunt in the Victorian High Country and had a shack near his place. He had forgotten more about the bush than most people ever know.

Andy! Glad to see you came out of the bush and left the wombats behind to say hello. How are you enjoying the rain?

Maybe, and i have no science to back this up, a lot of Australian Natives, do not breed in drought and harsh times when food is scarce, but then their reproduction cycle can make up for lost time when the conditions are really good, which it sounds like they are. A park ranger for the Victorian old parks and national ranges dept. told me that years ago. I became really good mates with him when i used to hunt in the Victorian High Country and had a shack near his place. He had forgotten more about the bush than most people ever know.
....this is true, especially with kangaroos. These wombats (and the kangaroos I saw plenty of) are not new born (or even in the last 12 months) but fully grown. I expect the Skippy numbers to increase significantly going into next year.

Andy! Glad to see you came out of the bush and left the wombats behind to say hello. How are you enjoying the rain?
......maaaaate......it was tough leaving let me tell you !!!!! I was quite contented being away (even if it was around -2 or -3 most nights) !!! Country is actually looking great, they had good rain the week before I went up, none the week I was there and it's bucketing down again now. I looked and the creeks have not been flowing like this since 17 !! I need to take more time off !!! Hoping to take the new (to me) TLC for a drive to the NT but the border closures are making it hard to plan !

Like the idea of the small spotlights on the back of the cabin, good thinking Batman.:thumbsup:

They help a lot when reversing through the bush at night. I have lights pointing in different directions all over that thing.

Back