Swiss Army knife made in China?

Swiss Army knife made in China?
The silver pocket knife carried by Swiss soldiers is to be replaced at the end of 2008 by a new model that suits modern requirements. But according to WTO rules, this scale of production requires putting out a tender to international competition. Some Swiss fear for the knife's legendary image.

The story's only available as a video at this link (RealPlayer format).

Pretty shocking... I know Victorinox's sales volume is overwhelmingly non-Swiss Army, but it would still be astounding if the contract when to China...

... according to WTO rules, this scale of production requires putting out a tender to international competition.

Re-read that about 100 times. I would bet the farm 100 times over that a certain Swiss knife manufacturer will win that tender.

Why would international competition be bad? If a non Swiss company thinks they can make a knife up to Swiss army specs for less money, why should they be denied the opportunity?

Does Anyone think that the Chinese can make a decent SAK clone? If I were the Swiss I would simply stick with the standard Soldier model. WHY? Because for what a Soldier actually needs in a POCKETKNIFE (not a multitool, tactical folder, or fixed blade) it is pretty much perfect. Now before everyone chimes in on leathermans and Spydercos, and the like notice the word POCKETKNIFE (i.e. a slipjoint carried loose in a pocket).

As far as the WTO what will happen if countries should ever feel the need to go to war with/or should just develop negative relations with China when all their supplies come from well.....China. The whole reason for the forming of the "SWISS ARMY KNIFE" originally was a Swiss man didn't like their troop's knives being made in Germany (foreign). I'll stop while I'm ahead but I think all troop equipment (possible) should be made in house for a nation, in a possible time of war or international crisis you won't have to worry whether or not the nation that supplies your troops guns, knives, boots, etc, etc is your ally or not. Not to mention it creates manufacturing jobs at home but anyway.

Just curious, when was the last time the Swiss Army engaged in combat and with whom?

I was hoping people would notice the parallel with America's military and our dependence on Chinese crap. BTW although not in recent times Switzerland does have a proud and successful fighting history.

Does Anyone think that the Chinese can make a decent SAK clone?

Yes. If China can make millions of iPods and iPhones, and possibly the computer you're using right now, they can certainly make a pocketknife.

As far as the WTO what will happen if countries should ever feel the need to go to war with/or should just develop negative relations with China when all their supplies come from well.....China. The whole reason for the forming of the "SWISS ARMY KNIFE" originally was a Swiss man didn't like their troop's knives being made in Germany (foreign). I'll stop while I'm ahead but I think all troop equipment (possible) should be made in house for a nation, in a possible time of war or international crisis you won't have to worry whether or not the nation that supplies your troops guns, knives, boots, etc, etc is your ally or not.

I don't buy this. The idea might apply if a country has some exclusive technology that cannot be made elsewhere for fear of giving up some kind of national secrets. But much of the Swiss military depends on high tech foreign made hardware, perhaps the very things that could be justified being made in-house, are not. Clearly that isn't the case when pocketknives are considered. Pocketknives are incredibly mature technology, not stealth technology.

Not to mention it creates manufacturing jobs at home but anyway.

Now, you're hitting on the biggest reason the job may be reserved for Victorinox/Wenger. It's a porkbarrel project that undoubtedly enjoys popular support. Considering how many millions of knives Victorinox and Wenger make in a year, it's not clear that they even need the business.

The Chinese have never won a war with the Swiss. When was the last time you used your Chinese Army knife. Ten thousand against ten billion and they've never lost.

Why would international competition be bad? If a non Swiss company thinks they can make a knife up to Swiss army specs for less money, why should they be denied the opportunity?

If I were a Swiss tax payer, I'd feel the same way. Competition will keep costs lower for the Swiss Army ('course you'd think neutrality keeps costs REALLY low, but that's another story). Still, I just can't imagine that anyone will best Victorinox in the tender. And if they do? It'd hurt the company and perhaps the Swiss Army itself, but not those of us knife carriers who know and love our Vickies. I don't really care what some 19-year-old Swiss kid guarding an embassy carries.

Yes.They most certainly can. This doesn't mean that they necessarily will. But more important is that although change is inevitable, there are some things that should not change simply for change's sake IMO. Camillus and Schrade made mostly EDC user knives here in the USA and I am sorry to see that heritage coming to a close. It is the same with Vic And Wenger. Both the original and the authentic SAK have a reputation for a reason. Let's not mess with tradition just for $$$.

Just curious to me to see the good folks here on the forum actually taking up for Chinese build quality?? It's just a major 180 from what is normally seen on here. While they can make electronics etc. their number of recalls and problems far exceed those made in Japan, Korea, USA, nations of western Europe and quite a few other countries. I have many things made in China that work just fine BUT in everything from tires to computers to childrens toys that come from China TEND to be poorer made than those made anywhere else. And yes I do have some Chinese make SAK copies and everyone of them I own or have seen have been pure crap. Not trying to start an anti-China thread it's just interesting to actually see people defend their build quality.

Spydie,
You stated it perhaps a little clearer than I could. Most "Made in China" is low price and quality to match. That is why so far the CCC SAKs have been miserable. All I said was that IMO Chinese manufacturing is capable of making a decent product, when retail price is not a factor. All depends on the $$$$. Will I buy one? Different question.

That's exactly the point I tried to make initially but I may have not stated it properly at first I think I may have come across abit pro Swiss but then again actually owning and carrying a V'nox will tend to bias your opinion on multi-tools/knives.:D

Just curious to me to see the good folks here on the forum actually taking up for Chinese build quality??

I don't think anyone is saying the Chinese DO build knives that are up to Victorinox quality - just that it is theoretically possible that they could.

What's more, just to be clear, I'm in no way advocating that the Swiss army should buy knives from any company other than Victorinox -- just that I don't see anything wrong with holding a tender. Hold the tender, then sit back and see who wins ........... Victorinox. Your bet your Rucksak they will!

Look at all the complaints about the US military buying an Italian 9 mm. There is always going to be a nationalistic impulse when it comes to these things.

If the Swiss were to request tenders (from foreign companies), one of the prerequisites would be for them being able to produce knives at the same quality standard and rate as currently being produced.

If the Chinese, Vietnamese or Middle Earthers can ethically produce a knife with the same standard as currently being produced in Switzerland, I have no problem with buying them. It's not my duty to financially support the Swiss for reasons of nostalgia, when all I want is a quality knife, at the best reasonable price.

If the Chinese, Vietnamese or Middle Earthers can ethically produce a knife with the same standard as currently being produced in Switzerland, I have no problem with buying them.

Is that you as an individual buyer?
Or as the WTO or the EU?
Or as the Swiss government?
Or as the Swiss military?

A factory can turn out an acceptable product in developing a market for itself. Can it guarantee quality and volume over the years for a unique purchaser? All this needs to be included in the tender, or we have the classic situation of "remember that your rifle was manufactured by the lowest bidder".

Back