Swiss Army knife made in China?

This is an interesting dialogue because the question seems to be whether it's okay to have an international competition for the next Swiss military knife, or "Swiss army knife". Remember when Fabrique Nationale won the contract to produce M-16s for the US government? It is arguably a similar situation wherein a home grown, possibly iconic, product is put to a open competitive contracting environment that threatens the status of the company that traditionally produces it. IMHO, it boils down to what the client really wants, what the priorities and values are, be it for objective economics purposes or nationalistic reasons, or national pride, or protective tariffs, or economic protectionism based on national economics. International market economics are well and good, but medium to long term national interests (strategic and otherwise) are important, too.

International market economics are well and good, but medium to long term national interests (strategic and otherwise) are important, too.

I recall in the 90's there was a lot of hand-wringing in some quarters that certain electronic components used in USAF craft were produced in Japan, and there was concern that if the Japanese ever un-allied themselves with us, we would be screwed...

And then the Japanese entered a decade-long recession and the US technology boom happened.

I agree with you, Ultraman, that there is a definite national security component to free trade, but I think our economic policies should be flexible enough to change with circumstances. Further, I consider myself as patriotic as the next guy, but as I tell folks who are strongly "America first," at least 1/3 of the parts on my Ford Ranger were produced at Ford's factories in Mexico, just like Dell imports components form Taiwan and Microsoft outsources software testing to India. "Made in XYZ" is a difficult label to place on most products.

I agree. Now if the OHT ends up being produced in China (or because of copyright law a similar product wins) and supplied to be the replacement for the traditional home-produced product, then the possible reaction by the Swiss (I'm guessing here) would be outrage and maybe embarassment at losing their iconic status and prestige. Ah well, this is not new territory.

Remember when Fabrique Nationale won the contract to produce M-16s for the US government?
The FN M-16A2 contract has really been a blessing for the United States, IMHO. As a result, FN build a factory in Columbia, SC to build the rifles. Sicne, they have also began using that facility to produce a wide array of commercial sporting arms as well. That brought a lot of manufacturing juobs here that we would never have seen otherwise.

And, those FN M-16A2 rifles are equally high quality, if not higher quality than the Colt's were.

That brought a lot of manufacturing juobs here that we would never have seen otherwise.

And, those FN M-16A2 rifles are equally high quality, if not higher quality than the Colt's were.

Again, this goes to the "Made in XYZ..." business... I've read that the Japanese carmakers make more vehicles at their plants here in the US than they do in Japan (the US, of course, is a bigger market for them than their own countrymen). Many "foreign" companies manufacture or buy their raw materials in the US, while "US" companies like Halliburton move their corporate headquarters to Dubai for tax purposes...

I guess the real question is " Do all of us here like Victorinox SAKs?" After seeing most of the comments posted , it makes me wonder...

Again, this goes to the "Made in XYZ..." business... I've read that the Japanese carmakers make more vehicles at their plants here in the US than they do in Japan (the US, of course, is a bigger market for them than their own countrymen). Many "foreign" companies manufacture or buy their raw materials in the US, while "US" companies like Halliburton move their corporate headquarters to Dubai for tax purposes...

I depricate companies that ditch our country to avoid their share of the taxes. Some companies, like FN or the Japanese automakers, had NO presence in the US previously, so now at least some folks are getting jobs, and at least at some level they are paying in.

Some of you guys are real riot. The only reason you get chinese made crap is because the american company contracted it wants crap.

If I were back in uniform, the last piece of junk I would want cluttering up my pocket would be a SAK. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the SAK is good for is to titter "Ooooh, look at my cute little knife. It doesn't scare anyone and I can just carry it anywhere!" Giggle Giggle.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Shecky, it is a bad thing. If a company wants to reside in the USA they should be willing to shoulder their fair share of providing jobs for their fellow citizens and keeping this country together.

I don't care who doesn't like it, China is our enemy and will remain our enemy as long as their form of government exists. Look at the junk they have made for us so far. Lead based paints on kid stuff to kill our children, poison pet foods to kill our pets, tainted human foods to sicken or kill our people. If I had my way we would not do a penny's worth of business with evil Red China.

that must mean you are tossing out your tv computer dvd player vcr half your furniture bird cage most of your cars engine etc?

Schmecky, I don't buy anything made in China if I have a choice. I know I do have some Chinese crap that I wish I didn't have to buy. Tell me, do I see a slight slant to your eyes, or are you an anti-american democrat?

If I were back in uniform, the last piece of junk I would want cluttering up my pocket would be a SAK. As far as I am concerned, the only thing the SAK is good for is to titter "Ooooh, look at my cute little knife. It doesn't scare anyone and I can just carry it anywhere!" Giggle Giggle.

Last time I checked, my SAK looked like anything but junk. I'm assuming that you have never used one...

Schmecky, I don't buy anything made in China if I have a choice. I know I do have some Chinese crap that I wish I didn't have to buy. Tell me, do I see a slight slant to your eyes, or are you an anti-american democrat?

Seems you're the only anti-American here, all too willing to make foreign enemies where they don't exist.

I wonder, do you limit your hate to slanted eyed folks and Democrats, or do you include niggers and fags too?

If you are worried about the Swiss Army buying Chinese knives, you've never worked on drafting government IFB/RFP docs...

I recall in the 90's there was a lot of hand-wringing in some quarters that certain electronic components used in USAF craft were produced in Japan, and there was concern that if the Japanese ever un-allied themselves with us, we would be screwed...

And then the Japanese entered a decade-long recession and the US technology boom happened.

I agree with you, Ultraman, that there is a definite national security component to free trade, but I think our economic policies should be flexible enough to change with circumstances. Further, I consider myself as patriotic as the next guy, but as I tell folks who are strongly "America first," at least 1/3 of the parts on my Ford Ranger were produced at Ford's factories in Mexico, just like Dell imports components form Taiwan and Microsoft outsources software testing to India. "Made in XYZ" is a difficult label to place on most products.

Does anyone remember Toshiba selling our submarine technology to the USSR?

Well when I was in uniform, I wanted my swiss champ when I was out of the barracks. The military issues the things you need, but having a nice little tool to repair your gear, makes life a little easier in camp. There weren't the tactical ninja knives yet. 99.9% of military people would be better served by a quality SAK, than some tanto bladed g10 slabbed sharpened prybar. If you have to resort to a folder as a weapon Mr.Murphy has really dealt a bad hand all around. And that cork screw saved more than a few bottles of wine...lets see you do that with your billybada$$ rambo knife!

Back