Swiss Army knife made in China?

hello,

its quite interesting that you us care that mutch about ouer swiss army knife.

as the swiss army still havent choose an exact knifemodel that they want buy, the bids are not open now, they say it will start in january.

as i have my own swiss knifemanufacturing, i will, with an us partner, compete but for sure theres not mutch hope to win anything, we do it for the fun.

i only hope it will be an quality product, whoever will supply it. as i got 2 roughrider knives at the blade show, mad in china hasent to say its not quality.

second, my version of an sak theme is in good work, some new features, so the discussion will be going on whats an sak or not. my one wont be swiss made cause its banned by swiss bureocratics, otherwise i would try to do it here - no chance.

all the best and enjoy your sak!

+B

Does Anyone think that the Chinese can make a decent SAK clone? If I were the Swiss I would simply stick with the standard Soldier model. WHY? Because for what a Soldier actually needs in a POCKETKNIFE (not a multitool, tactical folder, or fixed blade) it is pretty much perfect. Now before everyone chimes in on leathermans and Spydercos, and the like notice the word POCKETKNIFE (i.e. a slipjoint carried loose in a pocket).

As far as the WTO what will happen if countries should ever feel the need to go to war with/or should just develop negative relations with China when all their supplies come from well.....China. The whole reason for the forming of the "SWISS ARMY KNIFE" originally was a Swiss man didn't like their troop's knives being made in Germany (foreign). I'll stop while I'm ahead but I think all troop equipment (possible) should be made in house for a nation, in a possible time of war or international crisis you won't have to worry whether or not the nation that supplies your troops guns, knives, boots, etc, etc is your ally or not. Not to mention it creates manufacturing jobs at home but anyway.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

After all the history of the swissarmy knife,and all the millions made it would be ironic if the swiss army carried a multifunction knife made by anyone else.

Although china can produce knives of very good quality,I think something would be lost in the process or translation if you will.I really can't see china producing consistent quality comprable to Victorinox.

When it comes to knives China can not produce anything else than a POS!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

When it comes to knives China can not produce anything else than a POS!!

I must say, your way with words is impressive. Very eloquent. Why don't you, instead of communicating mostly with smilies, explain why the idea of Capitalism, on the part of the Swiss, seems to bother you so much? While you're at it, why don't you explain what you know about the QC of the Chinese manufacturers that are currently producing Spyderco's Byrd line of knives and Kershaw's Chinese imports?

Regards,
3G

for all of you that dont bellive china can make sompthing good, go and check out the rough rider knives. if they start making sak in that quality - then good night swiss...

While the Chinese may be able to make a quality knife, can they back it up with a lifetime warranty? I have a couple of the byrd knives and they are great, but a one year warranty just doesn't do it for me. For some people, a lifetime warranty is a big factor in deciding to buy one product over another.

IMHO, Western consumer standards are very different from most of Asia, including China (with the exception of Japan and places like Singapore). You can expect better customer service and warranties in the West, if the company is large and established enough. I'll betcha in most of Asia, you'll be lucky to find the original vendor again or getting any kind of warranty back without a fight. In my admittedly anecdotal experience, that is this just the way they do things (it's cultural). They (I mean the majority of sellers in asia), are the antithesis of the "customer is always right" ethic.

Byrd knives have a pretty good warranty. I suspect a Chinese made SAK could have just as good a warranty. Basically, anything defective is simply replaced. Products in this price range are not cost effectively repaired.

The biggest criticisms of Chinese products often seem mistakenly blamed on the fact that they're Chinese, and not on the real problem, that they are often cheaply built. That correlation between country of origin and quality is not causative. Cheaply made Chinese goods are cheaply made because that is what customers want, not because they are made in China.

Esav Benyamin said:
Not really. Switzerland does have a local option WITH human rights when it comes to knives. Switzerland may not have as clear-cut an option for computer chips, so it has to take what it can get, despite misgivings about labor conditions.

Regarding the idea that the Swiss may put stipulations on a contract regarding things such as human rights abuses and labor conditions, I have trouble accepting that notion at face value. After all, Switzerland has a strong reputation of dealing with anyone and not asking many questions. If there are such stipulations put on a contract, the real reason is to eliminate competition in favor of the popular homeland industry, not because the Swiss are suddenly keen on excercizing some noble ideals.

If I understand it correctly, Byrd knives are made in China, but for the US company Spyderco, so U.S. QA standards and policy applies. I happen to like many Chinese products (and obviously buy them as many of our consumer goods are imported from China but screened for quality control and assurance by the importing US retailer or US distributer/supplier), and I make no national distinctions or bias as long as the product is of good quality or value. My point is mostly about the really crappy or nonexistent customer service or warranties you can expect if you are a consumer "there". You're okay if you're friends or related to the vendor or manufacturer, but I really am of the opinion that western standards of service, esp. U.S. standards, are different and the typical U.S. consumer has it much better here, in fact they are spoiled by this and get frustrated when they don't get the same service when abroad. It's a totally different spectrum, although they may overlap, the US standard, though not perfect by any means, is much higher and often taken for granted.

I think we are making different points, as I certainly understand yours well enough and find your point reasonable. Now, if someone comes up and says they find my statements wrong because they have had great customer service and warranty policy when buying products in a "typical" asian country, then yes, there is dissension :) I'll concede that there are situations where my point is wrong especially if it's a higher priced item like a car or big ticket home item.

While the Chinese may be able to make a quality knife, can they back it up with a lifetime warranty? I have a couple of the byrd knives and they are great, but a one year warranty just doesn't do it for me. For some people, a lifetime warranty is a big factor in deciding to buy one product over another.

Buck's Chinese made knives carry the "4-ever warranty," from what I've read.

Regards,
3G

Some of the benchmade red line knives are being made in china now too. Being a benchmade, I'm sure the quality level is high. I can also assume that they carry the lifesharp warranty like all their other knives.

Duke, thanks for the interesting link.

I am perplexed by this quote in the article:

"He said he had found that under WTO rules "stabbing weapons" - among them the Swiss army knife - are on a list of products that do not need to be put out to tender."

I don't see how a SAK meets that definition. They don't lock, nor are they specifically made for the purpose of stabbing or as a weapon. A K-bar or bayonet, yes, but a folding utility pocketknife, no. It's silly, and if true, whoever made the interpretation SAKs belong under this WTO rules should consider resigning and going back to school for a better education. They have no business being in a position of authority :rolleyes:

Interesting radio report and article.

Sounds like the OHT may already fit the bill, if Vic is willing to let them go direct to the Swiss Army for about $20 USD apiece or less.

I don't see how a SAK meets that definition. They don't lock, nor are they specifically made for the purpose of stabbing or as a weapon. A K-bar or bayonet, yes, but a folding utility pocketknife, no. It's silly, and if true, whoever made the interpretation SAKs belong under this WTO rules should consider resigning and going back to school for a better education. They have no business being in a position of authority

AFAIK, any knife capable of stabbing (any blade with a point) is good enough to be considered a stabbing weapon, even if it has no lock. I think it's silly to try arguing otherwise.

The whole thing is silly. It's only a knife. The Swiss Army depends on a whole slew of foreign countries to provide it's needs. Vic/Wenger are not going to wither and die if they don't get the business. If Victorinox or Wenger ends up getting the contract even if underbid by qualified competitors, it'll most likely be because the Swiss people feel a Swiss based company deserves a welfare program from the government. Now that would be a sad statement about freedom.

Interesting radio report and article.

AFAIK, any knife capable of stabbing (any blade with a point) is good enough to be considered a stabbing weapon, even if it has no lock. I think it's silly to try arguing otherwise.

I respectfully disagree based on semantics and the contracting/outsourcing and business context it is being used in. Is the SAK design that of a stabbing weapon? I think not. It is harmful to the user for that purpose. What if they had a category called "hammering implement"? One can hammer with a knife, but that's not what it is. We can split hairs, but that is more of an interpretation of what is a specific label. A screwdriver becomes a stabbing weapon according to that definition, whereas it was not designed for that purpose, nor is that interpretation applicable in this contracting/WTO rule context. It's a case of mislabeling.

I do agree it is all silly.

"The army is saying little, except that it is working on the technical specifications for the new product to make it suitable for modern soldiering, including a serrated blade with a locking mechanism, a saw, and a Phillips - crosshead - screwdriver. It should also have a case, allowing it to be attached to a belt."

Sounds just like the current "Bundeswehr OHT" to me -- that's one model I've never seen copied (but I'm sure there are some floating around somewhere).

Back