Sword build: forged titanium gladius

The more I look at it, the more for some reason I wish it had an oval guard (and handle) instead of circular. I might have to hit you up for one of these also. Ti really seems well-suited to the gladius, for those fast cuts and stabs.

It's been through many trials, and the Bombus has completed the transformation from raw stock into glorious gladius! It is now 23" long, and weighs 1 lb 10.6 oz in the hand. It's a beefy bee!

The sheath and sword grip are black deer over peeled cow, stitched in kevlar thread and waxed cord. All of the leatherwork was done by Nordic bladeforums member LeatherMistressØye, whose sheaths easily double as bdsm paddles. The sheath is stiff and allows a quick draw of the sword, like a scabbard. The total weight of the sword and sheath is 2 lbs 9.0 oz.

This is a real sword, sharp and dangerous, stiff, flexible and very tough.

roizX9Q.jpg

YgjXjx9.jpg

GM9MZ7T.jpg

ymlT9Ex.jpg

b6WyPGR.jpg

r6lEipi.jpg

Last edited:
LOL paddle comment.. I mean, what does that mean :D

Looks super! Wish I liked gladius style swords :)

Soooooo, maybe we'll talk soon again.. depends, what is next on your plate?

Well, I was unable to acquire some green bamboo to chop, and it all went downhill from there, resulting in the world's worst cutting video. At least there's that little distinguishing mark, and since it does show the look and dimensions of Bombus Gladius, here it is for your enjoyment, and hopefully your mirth.

The sword sustained no damage. Several more objects were chopped than shown, but the footage was total crap! :D

[video=youtube;5WeyRmor-EU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WeyRmor-EU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Surely a sword fit for a gladiator - and a sheath fit for the sword. Wonderful work and a great WIP thread.

mecha- You have my endorsement.
rolf
A chisa katana would be a cool future project for you.

What are those round objects? Candles? lol

looks like you needed something good to cut and didn't have much.. but a CAR!.. hmmm

So on the wood did the edge just roll a bit? BTW did you mostly convex the edges? Thanks!

BTW next time you are going to trash a bunch of stuff, let me know :D Though I was in bed by 9pm last night.. kids run me ragged...

Words cannot accurately describe how I much I want this sword... :D:thumbup: Fanatastic work Mecha!

was that the music from the "Kirk fights Spock" episode? :D and awesome, Mecha..you've outdone yourself.

NICE !!
What's the hardness , microstructure ? I still call it by the original name - columbium , not after some girl ,Niobe !!

NICE !!
What's the hardness , microstructure ? I still call it by the original name - columbium , not after some girl ,Niobe !!

Back