Tacticals Made by Us for Special OPS Forces

Moving right along...

Here is mine as it is so far. Blade steel is 1075, scales are black/green canvas base micarta. OAL is 12 1/2 inches. Max blade width is 2 1/2 inches. Love those Loveless bolts. Monday I am shipping the blade off to a very thoughtful gun maker in New York state for bead blast and hot blue; then I'll finish the scales, then its off to Jamie who has offered to make the sheath on his own dime:

afgan3.jpg

RL

Well guys I just recieved an email and pics from the recipient of my knife. The email was very touching and I will share as soon as I get the ok from him to post. Looking good Roger.
Scott

I will only be posting the words of the email. no pics because he is in one and no names. And only if he says I can.
Scott

Got the ok to post. I'll post the email tomorrow when I have more time. Have to get ready for work.
Scott

Terry_Dodson said:
can someone define "jumpable"? and why wouldn't a leather sheath be jumpable? did the guys over there have any specific input as to what they need in a sheath?
Terry these guys often get where they're going by parachute. When I said "jumpable" I meant I don't think leather is safe enough for a parachute jump. I believe they are required to have a plastic lining and have tiedowns for both ends of the sheath as well as a significant hold on the knife in its sheath. Often when jumping troops will tie the knife more securely into its sheath just for the redundancy over its regular hold. You don't want a knife flopping around in the air or when you hit the ground! :eek:

Roger that is one fantastic knife! What a lucky soldier to get his hands on that bad boy... I gotta have one of those - maybe I'll cut out another and grind two when I make the other one, eh? :D That is just so fine. Good job!

By the way, thanks for the kind words about my knife. I'm a little embarrassed but admit it makes me feel good. :eek: :)

rlinger said:
Whit and all others, I have so far gotten two emails from our SF Alpha expressing their strong desire I set it straight about their cook and their mechanic, both of which accompany the team on missions. Both of these men are a member of the team. The only one it seems mistaken and just wrong is Whit.

Not publishing any of their names is my desire and I stand by it.

I hope this settles it and that no more is said about it. Thank you.

RL
Roger I think you're being kind. Whit, I don't know you but I think you have made a mistake. A rude one.

This is the first email from the soldier who recieved my knife.

"Dear Mr. Gossman,
I cannot even begin to thank you enough for the knife you have sent. I was the individual lucky enough to claim your exquisite knife as my own. You have done amazing work with this particular knife and I cannot even begin to appreciate the time that it took to complete such a quaility knife. However other then my appreciation for your unbelieveable gesture, I also want to thank you for your support. Not only for the support of myself and fellow soldier, but for the unwavering support for our country. It is delightfully comforting to know that there still exsit true Americans like you, individuals that will stand up for a cause that is just and are also willing to sacrifice with those who are sent out to fight. It is an absolute blessing to know that there exsit true patriots like yourself, who believe in the cause for which we fight.
At times, it feels our country has lost appreciation for the freedoms that our father and grandfathers have sacrificed and died for. It seems that, although 4 years ago, our country has already forgotten that indescribable feeling we felt in our soul as our brothers and sisters were taken from us on that fateful September day. However, your selfless gesture brings to reality that there still remain Americans that do remember and refuse to forget. I cannot begin to explain how touched I am by your kindness and how relieved I am to know that there are citizens although not here fighting with us, are still just as much in this war as any of us. Our country has a beautiful flame that will not be extingished and, although at times may appear to be dim, it still burns because of courageous citizens like yourself who refuse to let it burn out in the night. It is the American citizen like you, that I proudly call myself an American Soldier and willingly sacrifice my life, if necessary, to ensure the safety of this wonderful country that we call home."
name withheld

This my friends is what being an American is all about. I was almost moved to tears after reading this the first time.
Scott

ddavelarsen said:
Me too. Thanks Scott. Whew.

Me three, Scott. I have asked permission to post a response I just received from an Alpha Team member, regarding some of the comments in this thread. Suffice to say, these guys are keeping good track of what happens and is said here. But for now, I had to post this quote in response to Dave's comments about jumping. I hope the team member will forgive me for posting this small comment ahead of time. This cracked me up:

"The thing about a knife being jump-able, is if you can hold it in your teeth with out losing it you can jump it. A leather, cloth, or plastic sheath is fine."

Man, you got to love these guys! :D

Fox said:
"The thing about a knife being jump-able, is if you can hold it in your teeth with out losing it you can jump it. A leather, cloth, or plastic sheath is fine."

Man, you got to love these guys! :D
:D No kidding! These guys have huevos out to here... :D I eat my words.

"Fox, I couldn't thank you enough for the knife. I still follow the thread and was quite PEED off with "Whit". I think "rlinger" handled the situation well. Here is the skinny with the knives over there. The knives are not only being handed out to the team guys but also to the men and women ( yes, I said women...Whit) that are supporting the team ie. MP's, Cooks, Mechanics, and so on that support the cause...These "support" soldiers that are receiving them are PVT up to SSG so I don't think "Whit" knows the ground truth and being there with the team I kinda know what is going on.

The thing about a knife being jump-able is if you can hold it in your teeth with out losing it you can jump it. A leather,cloth,or plastic sheath is fine.
--
Thanks to you and the men that support this thread."

Name redacted

Glad to hear that about the leather sheath. Mine should finally be ready to ship on monday, just gotta finish the sheath, sharpen it, and take pics, and it'll go in the box and out the door.

Tony

Jumpable means that it will limit the chance that the blade will poke through the sheath. I.E. kydex, metal riveted on a leather sheath....like the old WWII and Korea M-3 knives issued to Paratroopers.

Finaly got a pic of what I'm working on, Just finished bead blasting and she'll be marked and coated tomorrow-err latter today.

Just need to finish up the handle and install after the epoxy cures.

This is the second one I made, the first was from 5160 and was a little thinner than I'd like, and just didn't feel right. So while I was waiting on a new platten linner I forged anouther, this time from L-6 and everything "felt" right.

L-6 forged from 3/4" round bar, 6 1/2" blade differentialy hardened, 3/16" thick at spine 1/8" 1050 gaurd. . It'll get a coating of black Gun Kote in the morning. The handle will be natural canvas mycarta if I don't destroy it in the process!

Attachments

• tn_000_1531.JPG
    tn_000_1531.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 79
Will that looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product. Are you going to GK the guard too?

Back