• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

TADGEAR? nope, not with this attitude....

You must be selectively developing blade length estimates based on the infamous "penis principle". Honey, now this is an 8" "blade"!!

Get a life dude. 2.5" is 2.5"... you are lucky he will even take it back. The TAD guys treat people well and are always fair in my dealing with them.

If you knew him, you would understand his email a little better.

Undoubtedly true. However, it shouldn't have to be the responsibility of the customer to get to know the personality of an employee who includes unnecessary smart assed comments in emails.

That being said, all of my dealings with Pat at TAD Gear have been first rate and I would still highly recommend the company.

You must be selectively developing blade length estimates based on the infamous "penis principle". Honey, now this is an 8" "blade"!!

Get a life dude. 2.5" is 2.5"... you are lucky he will even take it back. The TAD guys treat people well and are always fair in my dealing with them.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess that you're probably not a small business owner.

I think that the remark about the library could have been omitted before the reply was sent back to you and that would have been just sticking with the facts. That being they have a restock fee. Other dealers have this policy as well. Newgraham started doing this too for credit card purchases only though. The way I see it it isn't personal. If you bought with a credit card and they have to credit they will be charged so they have to pass that on. In my mind its perfectly fair. If you paid with a money order and/or cash I see no reason to add a fee unless the customer maybe has made a habit of returning more than he has kept or something and has a red flag by his account or something.

I had one of these knives and it was smaller than I expected also. I would bet that its not the first time TadGear has had an email from a buyer about that knife with the same complaint or points mentioned and it is probably a hot spot due to others they have taken back.

I guess your first contact to them had some info they really don't need but we all do that now and then. I see no reason to worry about what you said to them. You were honest enough and that is all you can do. I would not change just because one dealer or person is going to punish you for being the way you are. This deal didn't work out as you wanted. Now you have to weigh the options you have to seel it yourself, use it, stick it in the safe and wait until they become more valuable down the road maybe or just send it back and be done with tadgear I guess if that is what you decide to do.

STR

Dealt with Tadgear many times, no problems at all and If I was told "we are not a library" I wouldn't get offended by that. It tells me the man speaks what he thinks, if only more people would do the same, this world would be a better place.

Just my 2 cents.

Would you have been MORE satisifed with this situations outcome IF the "Library" comment was left out and in the reply email sent and you were simply reffered to their return policy literature and THAN fairly charged the 15% as oppossed to 5% restock fee accordingly? :confused:

LD

Dealt with Tadgear many times, no problems at all and If I was told "we are not a library" I wouldn't get offended by that. It tells me the man speaks what he thinks, if only more people would do the same, this world would be a better place.

Just my 2 cents.
Having worked in retail, I agree completly with this. That "customer is always right" nonsense is almost always taken advantage of by assholes. This "PC" world we've created sucks, and were all turning into Emo kids.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and guess that you're probably not a small business owner.

LOL!!! No. I do work part time in a small business to have some cigar fun. We will not take any and all items back because a customer decides they were wrong about liking the taste of a cigar. If we recommend it to them, then we will..... etc..

I am feeling overly cynical today for some reason... my apologies to mr Diamdav for my cynicism...... But really, when you read 2.5" blade and then look at the knife in it's proportions to the picture, how can you not see it? I think the restocking fee does not merit complaint, especially a bad guy post due to the restocking fee.. the email sent to DD is not THAT bad... but, to each his own, I read it as more humorous than being shitty with a customer.

Yep, TAD is a great company and Evan is a great person and the library comment is unprofessional and flippant. I'm sure that if he were to see this thread, he'd apologize for making the comment and chalk it up to a bad day.

I disagree that the world would be a better place if everyone spoke their mind all the time. I'd rather not hear what everyone is thinking. :D

This kind of rude, condescending correspondence is favored by certain "tough guy" knife folks and people from their favorite knife company. It's simply a form of bullying, but they like to call it "telling it like it is". Perhaps TADgear has a lot of customers in this demographic, and began to believe it was ok to be rude to their customers. Screw 'em. Just shop elsewhere.

Having worked in retail, I agree completly with this. That "customer is always right" nonsense is almost always taken advantage of by assholes. This "PC" world we've created sucks, and were all turning into Emo kids.

Oh, c'mon now. Offering polite customer service is not the same thing as kneeling at the altar of political correctness. If the story is being related in an accurate manner then the fact remains that Evan could have easily accomplished everything he needed to without including the wisecrack.

Considering our collective past experiences with Evan, it's highly unlikely he deliberately meant to offend Dave. I see further evidence of this in the fact that Evan was only going to require one third of the normal restocking fee. By the same token, however, there's absolutely no call to suggest that Dave is an "asshole" trying to take advantage of somebody.

No way would this world be a better place if people spoke their mind all the time. That would just lead to a lot more violence.

greens, the fact that you wouldn't be offended by the library comment makes you a better person than me. I consider it completely uncalled for, but I can understand why comments like that are made. They come from frustration, and even the nicest of folks will sometimes say things like that.

Agreed, but also I wouldn't get tripped out about it or I'd call Evan on it myself. I would have said,"Hey Evan, what's with the additude? I just asked a question, whats up your ass?" Or something like that.
If I'm in a situation where someone said something that was insulting, or confrontational, I would defend myself accordingly. However, I would not complain to everyone around me, other than a passing remark, like, "That dude was being a dick, but whatever" or the management or whatever. Doing stuff like that to me, is like not taking responsiblility for what happens around you. I guess being who I am, and how I was brought up culture wise, I look at that as being a narc.(Or snitch, whatever)
Added, The reason I look at this this way, is like TorJonson said, so "retailers" use this as bullying, but what about customers that do the same? Most pain in the ass customers use bullying a buisness owner or manager or cashier, as they're way to vent. This has become much more prevalent nowadays. It's a captive audience, that can't talk back, without consequences ocuring. Thats why I have a problem with this kind of complaint. If he said "No I won't cause you suck" is one thing, but to go on a forum and lambast a small buisness owner, is the same as yelling at a cashier in a store.

Dave, I'm not sure why you have posted.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433958
You have sold the knife you bought from us before I even sent you that email.

I never refused to accept the knife return but stated what I would be doing if it was sent back.

You then sent me an email tellng me to never mind. Then you start up this post.

----

Back in the dot com days of selling $2000 custom d/a knives we have never charged restocking fees. People would keep buying and sending knives back. We would lose about $80 for each transaction but didn't realiaze it at the time. Since then we have stated a 15% restocking fee on all returns. I can maybe count the number of times on one hand that I have charged the full 15% on.

-----
Why don't you post the rest of your emails about wanting a perfect knife?

Taking an occasional returned item, in new and unused condition, and from a customer who doesn't make a habit of it, should be part of the cost of doing business. See, for example, newgraham, who kindly took a returned small Sebenza from me (yeah, I don't know what I was thinking) and subsequently has received several hundred bucks worth of purchases from me. Because of their good CS, I am constantly talking them up everytime some new guy asks where to buy a knife. If I had received the library comment from them, I would have been long gone.

peace

I have been doing biz with TAD for many years and except for one transaction similar to yours which was explained by Evan-it was my fault for keeping the knife too long past the normal return period-I have always had great service from them and would wholeheartedly try again and explain to Evan that the knife was a little too small-and as stated above, the knives all have a different feel once they're in hand-I always think MTs feel smaller than most because of the extremely tight tolerances the products are made to.
The Mini UMS is a smaller knife than say a Strider SnG or other folder because they are autos and don't need the heft or weight that a liner locking folder will have.
Call them again and talk to Evan and tell him that Carter Latham suggested another try-if the knife is as stated then a 5% restocking fee isn't too much to ask.
Thanks
Carter

Added, The reason I look at this this way, is like TorJonson said, so "retailers" use this as bullying, but what about customers that do the same? Most pain in the ass customers use bullying a buisness owner or manager or cashier, as they're way to vent. This has become much more prevalent nowadays. It's a captive audience, that can't talk back, without consequences ocuring. Thats why I have a problem with this kind of complaint. If he said "No I won't cause you suck" is one thing, but to go on a forum and lambast a small buisness owner, is the same as yelling at a cashier in a store.
You have a point, but in this case it was the small business owner who was rude to the customer. From what I've seen, the customer was polite and the business was rude. E_Wok is hinting about some further e-mails, perhaps he would be kind enough to post those so we can get his side of the story too. Let's get it all out in the open.

Dave, I'm not sure why you have posted.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=433958
You have sold the knife you bought from us before I even sent you that email.

Not correct. I DID sell the knife AFTER I received your email. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

I made no objection anywhere in my posts about your restocking fee, did I?
I may not care for that, but that was not what I was commenting on.

You have a bad day, I"m sorry, but you are professional enough where that shouldn't intrude into your customer service. I thought the library comment was out of line.

Taking an occasional returned item, in new and unused condition, and from a customer who doesn't make a habit of it, should be part of the cost of doing business.

You're damm right it is. Unless something is special ordered or custom-made, taking a return is part of doing business. Everybody says TADgear is an upright guy, great, I have no experience to say otherwise. But I didn't need the lip, and GOOD BAD UGLY Forums is supposed to be a place to offer your experience, good and bad.

As far as the size matter... it was just a matter of the overall heft of the knife being much smaller than I anticipated. I did not criticize...on the contrary, read my email, I complimented him on his service and the knife in general. My 2.5" Spyderco Pro Grip fills up the hand, this excellent Microtech just did not, that's all. I intentionally tried to write in a polite, respectful and diplomatic way, and for my efforts I got lip. I guess being honest is a liability these days.

Back