Talk of a Wee blade, the story unfolds

Stacked leather
Stick tang
Bullnose

New Poll is LIVE

If either will do, select both so I can tell who's voted. I'm not a fan of brass but I'm not opposed. I'll add "other" to the poll and you can post in here.

Pinemoon Pinemoon - I hope this brand of democracy won't discourage you if a BULLNOSE is elected.:(
I was pretty excited that you might play with us. Just think - you would be the only kid in all of Cumberland County to own such a knife. :cool: AND - an exceptional knife it would be - without qualifiers. I think it could prove more useful than you think and it would mix up your collection a bit. ;)

This is your knife muse talking :D

Ray
Well, the nose may be winning me over...don't count me out just yet.
Been thinking that it is a unique profile...
And the craftsmanship looks really top-notch on these.

The beauty of some gals misses you at first glance sometimes. You need to take another looky-look.

Really like the stacked leather with the butt and guard. Hoping for bronze!

Since I'm new to the club, I do have questions.
*Ballpark price?
*Stainless?

Just tossing a grenade into the room... What about Bronze or Copper?

No grenade with the BRONZE - it's an option in the poll. Looks great on my existing bullnose - as seen in the photo on the previous page. I typically prefer it but have decided to accept the consensus on this one. (If it comes down to a tie, I will back the bronze candidate!)

Copper is IMHO grenade worthy. ;) I have copper fittings on a puukko that is a favorite knife so it's not a deal breaker but in this case, bronze or the nickel silver are so much more elegant.

Just my 2¢

Ray

Pinemoon Pinemoon - I think you'll need to PM John to discuss $$s. What he ends up building, materials etc., will obviously determine price.

Ray

No grenade with the BRONZE - it's an option in the poll. Looks great on my existing bullnose - as seen in the photo on the previous page. I typically prefer it but have decided to accept the consensus on this one. (If it comes down to a tie, I will back the bronze candidate!)

Copper is IMHO grenade worthy. ;) I have copper fittings on a puukko that is a favorite knife so it's not a deal breaker but in this case, bronze or the nickel silver are so much more elegant.

Just my 2¢

Ray

D'oh! My bad, I read "Brass"... :oops:

Let's get the design worked out first and we'll go from there. These first ones will be 52100. I'll have to work up a heat treat for Aeb-L.

Let's open this up to discuss things like handle shapes, spacers, sheath styles. Just throw it out there.

Let's get the design worked out first and we'll go from there. These first ones will be 52100. I'll have to work up a heat treat for Aeb-L.

Let's open this up to discuss things like handle shapes, spacers, sheath styles. Just throw it out there.

OK then - let us discuss :)

Last edited:
I vote for some contrasting spacers near the guard. Nothing too crazy, but something.

Sheath preference would be something without a dangler, something with a loop built into the back. Easier for EDC.

I vote for some contrasting spacers near the guard. Nothing too crazy, but something.

Sheath preference would be something without a dangler, something with a loop built into the back. Easier for EDC.

I'd be OK with that too. Don't need a dangler on a small knife - BUT would still prefer one. Pinemoon Pinemoon - do you like the contrast in the 3 posted above? Is that enough?

Ray

Last edited:
I'd be OK with that too. Don't need a dangler on a small knife. Pinemoon Pinemoon - do you like the contrast in the 3 posted above? Is that enough?

Ray
The three above are pretty nice, but the wood (assuming it's wood) between the black spacer and the leather might be better with more of a contrasting species...maple, birch ??

Glad the sheath detail (no dangler) is agreeable to you.
Not sure if John does the sheaths but they look excellent :thumbsup:

Thanks Pinemoon, I do the leatherwork.

I'm wondering if a sheath with an X type back that could be worn dominant hand vertical or weak hand horizontal (or angled) would suit these? My napkin sketches are putting this at 7" OAL. I'll be making one for myself I think.

John's leatherwork is 1st rate :thumbsup: I think an X could work though I have found that I very rarely use a horizontal option. Guess my body type doesn't comply. Still favor the dangler but will not argue the point.

Maybe, regarding spacers, you will allow some diversity per individual. I like banaaana he likes bahnahnah, if you get my drift.

Ray

Thanks Pinemoon, I do the leatherwork.

I'm wondering if a sheath with an X type back that could be worn dominant hand vertical or weak hand horizontal (or angled) would suit these? My napkin sketches are putting this at 7" OAL. I'll be making one for myself I think.
So you know the blade length?
Hoping for less than 3"
2.5 or 2.75" sing to me...

Tip to guard is 3", that would put the edge around 2.75". You're right, we can do a poll to decide if we want to stay closer to 2.5" or 3". These would be tip to guard measurements, actual edge measurements would be about .25" less.

So to clarify, if you vote 2.5" that's a 2.25" edge, if you vote 3" that's a 2.75".

3" is less than 3" so I guess we can all be happy ;) (somewhat) Why not 3.25" though? :(

Ray

Back