Tantos: do you love/hate ‘em?

What do you think about tanto blades?

• Total voters
I'm replying to this thread without going through all the posts yet (probably bad etiquette).

I wanted a tanto for the longest time... mostly because of all the hype about it being the most effective tactical/SD blade shape. I got one (Kershaw Emerson CQC-8k), did more research on the controversial topic, realized it might not be what I'm looking for and got rid of it. What I read that made me change my mind referenced tests that proved the spearpoint design to actually be just as effective as the tanto for piercing, while surpassing the tanto in slicing ability.

After even more research, and seeing all the modified tantos, and "spantos", reverse tantos and the like, out there, I'm now very interested in acquiring one again.

Like I said, haven't fully gone through this thread yet, but I look forward to it as I already spotted some goodies while skimming through the pics.

Lately I've been looking at Emerson cqc 15. That tanto tip plus the rest of the blade shape looks attractive and useful to me.

I had to sharpen one for a cop friend...it was painful to do it right...
wouldn't care to do it again...

I like the sound of their purported toughness, but up until now I've never bought one. I'm looking at the Buck Marksman tanto or Cold Steel SR1 Lite at the moment because I'm always on the hunt for a relatively disposable heavy duty blade that can stand up to the punishment I routinely put my work knives through.

I fail to see any particular problem with sharpening, 2 straight edges are child's play - I brought a friend's to shaving sharp from a jagged edge with an orbital sander of all things, and a strop with some white polishing compound with no trouble at all. I think the key there is that it wasn't some stupid super steel that's more trouble than it's worth and not meant in any way for actual work.

I like the sound of their purported toughness, but up until now I've never bought one. I'm looking at the Buck Marksman tanto or Cold Steel SR1 Lite at the moment because I'm always on the hunt for a relatively disposable heavy duty blade that can stand up to the punishment I routinely put my work knives through.

I fail to see any particular problem with sharpening, 2 straight edges are child's play - I brought a friend's to shaving sharp from a jagged edge with an orbital sander of all things, and a strop with some white polishing compound with no trouble at all. I think the key there is that it wasn't some stupid super steel that's more trouble than it's worth and not meant in any way for actual work.
It’s fairly manageable to sharpen them with something like a Sharpmaker. Heck, I still use my el cheapo Lansky crock sticks. Usually quite happy with the results. But with a flat stone, I don’t think I can pull it off LOL.

For a starting, inexpensive folding tanto, I recommend the Cold Steel Voyager Large. Sub-$70 and 4” of Aus10a steel. Bang for the buck, friend. I generally stay away from CS knives of Chinese manufacture. Their Taiwanese-made knives have been excellent though.

Then for a higher-end tanto in the future, definitely keep the Paramilitary 2 in your radar. That one’s a real looker.

Any thoughts about the Spyderco PM2 Tanto exclusive? I'm thinking about it for my first tanto...

I wouldn't for your first Tanto. It's hideously overpriced as well imo.
I agree. It is extremely overpriced IMO... I just happen to be itching to get another Spyderco at the same time so I was trying to kill two birds with one knife o_O.

H
I agree. It is extremely overpriced IMO... I just happen to be itching to get another Spyderco at the same time so I was trying to kill two birds with one knife o_O.
Ha ha, just get a nice plain Paramilitary 2 in black with G10. Those are lovley if you want a slicer.

H

Ha ha, just get a nice plain Paramilitary 2 in black with G10. Those are lovley if you want a slicer.
I have way too many personal preferences especially surrounding Spydercos. I'm what I call myself a "new semi-fan". I actually posted a thread the other day in the Spyderco forum titled "New picky semi-fan" or something like that. I'm all about tactical designs. I finally settled on a PM2 but it was the PM2 with Emerson wave opener BladeOps exclusive. I still can't see myself buying a "regular" PM2. Another reason why I'm interested in the tanto version. Basically, I'm not paying $100+ for a leaf-shape blade in S30V with that fragile (IMHO) tip. The only other Spyderco I own is a Manix 2 XL, and I settled for the blade shape because it's got considerably more metal leading up to the tip (and tip strength proven in several videos online).

i dislike them due to the sharpening challenges it causes me. If I had a better handle on getting as consistently sharp as I want them, I may like them better. For my uses, I can live with Wharncliffes or straight clip blades.

I don't see a use for tanto.
I have one that I thought looked awesome as a kid.
I've never used it, I don't hate tanto blades to each their own.
I just won't buy one.

I agree with rkc2000 rkc2000 . I find that they are much harder to sharpen than a straight blade, just like blades with half serration.

I have this tanto knife:
717db612-d67a-4054-92e7-e747d722088d-jpeg.98253

I like it, it keeps a nice edge - it’s just a pain to sharpen.

They're useful but maybe not as versatile as more traditional blades. My CS Voyager and original tanto FB work better than my Emerson/Kershawwith its wrongside chisel grind.

Any thoughts about the Spyderco PM2 Tanto exclusive? I'm thinking about it for my first tanto...
As several people have said, they are pricey. Honestly, though I'm not sure how you would accurately value the PM2 tanto. It has more steel and machining than the standard PM2, it definitely isn't $40 worth of extra steel, but I don't know how much extra machine time is involved. You could argue that a g10/s30v knife isn't worth $150 to begin with (for the standard model), but the materials are only part of the equation, E.g. CRK charges $450 for titanium and S35VN.

If you are a PM2 fan and you want a tanto, I don't see any reason not to get one. I like everything about the PM2 except that sometimes I worry that I will break the tip, I don't have that concern with the tanto. Some guys like to do a lot of food prep with their EDC, if that is you the tanto wouldn't be ideal.

I've been carrying mine for a couple of weeks now and haven't really seen a big difference for my cutting tasks. The tanto blade is a bit heavier. I think if you do a lot of slicing the FFG model would be best. If you do a lot of handyman type tasks I could see the tanto working well for you.

As several people have said, they are pricey. Honestly, though I'm not sure how you would accurately value the PM2 tanto. It has more steel and machining than the standard PM2, it definitely isn't $40 worth of extra steel, but I don't know how much extra machine time is involved. You could argue that a g10/s30v knife isn't worth $150 to begin with
This^^^
I'm sure they factor in the machining of the compound grind. I know it has a hollow grind on the straight edge, and a flat grind on the second edge, and a swedge. But I agree, I do argue that the regular PM2 G10/S30V isn't worth $150 to begin with. Not knocking Spyderco at all. People will still pay that price and more for their proven quality and style. Hell, even I have contradicted myself and paid MORE than $150 for the PM2 with Emerson wave (forget if I mentioned that already.)

I'm not a PM2 fan. Well, I'm not a fan of the traditional PM2 because of the blade. I like the handle, the compression lock, and the Spydie-hole. I suppose that's why I'm so interested in the blade shape variants (couldn't care less for the exotic steel variants that everyone else seems to go crazy for).

Also am very interested in any PM2 with a longer blade (but same handle length). The PM2 wave spec at 3.45" blade length online vs original PM2 with 3.44" (I know, tiny difference but I thought it would make the difference for me). I saw that the PM2 tanto specs had the blade length at 3.5" and says the handle is the same. Do you have an original PM2?? If so, do you notice the blade handle ratio difference?? That would be another major factor important to me.

So, I guess I would kill 3 birds with one knife, if the PM2 tanto truly has a longer blade (with original length PM2 handle).

Back