Terrible News

Absolutely terrible news. Bruce was one of the nicest guys I have ever been around. As has been said, he made you feel like you'd been friends forever, even if it was the first time you'd met him. A huge loss to this community, for sure. :(

Mike Quesenberry posted this on Instagram and Facebook about 2 hours ago if you haven't seen it:

'I lost a dear friend yesterday, Bruce “Bing” Bingenheimer. We spent quite a bit of time together. We would get together at my away-from-home terminal in Elko and hangout in his shop, or have breakfast and talk knives, on a weekly basis. We’d bring current projects that we were working on and do show-and-tell right in the restaurant; at times getting some strange looks from the waitress.
He arrived at my house on Wednesday afternoon and we spent the day making Damascus. Thursday we spent the day working on a prototype flipping dagger that excited us both. After spending all day working together on the design, we realized it wasn’t going to work and called it quits. We headed in for the day around 4:30.
After dinner around 8:30, while watching TV, I saw his eyes get heavy and close. He said shortly there after, “Did I snore?” I said, “No.” He said, “ Marilyn tells me I’m snoring and it’s time for bed”. We chuckled a bit and decided to say good night as we had an early day on Friday.
The next morning I got up at 4am, fully expecting to see him up and ready to go on account we had an early flight to Arizona where we were both going to be teaching classes.
My dear friend passed peacefully in the middle of the night. I hope this doesn’t come across as a selfish statement, but I consider myself very fortunate to get to spend his last couple days doing the things that we enjoyed together. I’ll miss you terribly my friend.

I’ll post information on services as they become available.'

I can't imagine what Mike is going through. Prayers are with him and his family, as well as with Bing's family.

Damn! Bing was certainly one of the good guys. He was so happy to have retired and making knives full time. I don't know that I ever saw him that he wasn't smiling and he certainly always had a smile for me. What a great guy!

We first met at one of the ABS shows in San Antonio. We ended up grabbing a bite together and he quizzed me intensely about what I was trying to do with Knife Rights and about my own background. He started out skeptical and he asked smart questions! He finished that conversation with "count on me." Every year since he had generously donated a beautiful folder for our Ultimate Steel™ fundraiser. Ironically, just prior to reading of this tragedy, I was working on this year's Ultimate Steel™ and putting pages together, including the one for his beautiful donation knife this year:

Bing_2018_700w.jpg

This news truly bums me out. Can't begin to imagine how Mike felt and feels. Just terrible.
May the memories of Bing be for a blessing to all who knew him. Definitely will be for me. I will miss his smile, outgoing demeanor and the great conversations we always had. RIP

I've been contemplating something for years. A year-end 'Best Folder' thread.

Looks like in 2018 we should have a BFBBBF:

'BladeForums Bruce Bingenheimer Best Folder'

(John White commemorates the 'BF Best Bowie' thread.)

I hope you'll agree. :thumbsup: I'll be pleased to take the initiative.

I'll help

This is truly sad - Bing was such a great guy as well as a real talent. Prayers for his family

Bill Flynn

I was thinking the same thing. Honestly, I was wanting to name one of the awards at the Arkansas Show after John White and one after Bing.

I don't want to rip off or pull anything away from it on BF. So I didn't do the John White one this past year. I do want to honor them in the best possible way that we can.

Mike Quesenberry posted this on Instagram and Facebook about 2 hours ago if you haven't seen it:

'I lost a dear friend yesterday, Bruce “Bing” Bingenheimer. We spent quite a bit of time together. We would get together at my away-from-home terminal in Elko and hangout in his shop, or have breakfast and talk knives, on a weekly basis. We’d bring current projects that we were working on and do show-and-tell right in the restaurant; at times getting some strange looks from the waitress.
He arrived at my house on Wednesday afternoon and we spent the day making Damascus. Thursday we spent the day working on a prototype flipping dagger that excited us both. After spending all day working together on the design, we realized it wasn’t going to work and called it quits. We headed in for the day around 4:30.
After dinner around 8:30, while watching TV, I saw his eyes get heavy and close. He said shortly there after, “Did I snore?” I said, “No.” He said, “ Marilyn tells me I’m snoring and it’s time for bed”. We chuckled a bit and decided to say good night as we had an early day on Friday.
The next morning I got up at 4am, fully expecting to see him up and ready to go on account we had an early flight to Arizona where we were both going to be teaching classes.
My dear friend passed peacefully in the middle of the night. I hope this doesn’t come across as a selfish statement, but I consider myself very fortunate to get to spend his last couple days doing the things that we enjoyed together. I’ll miss you terribly my friend.

I’ll post information on services as they become available.'

I can't imagine what Mike is going through. Prayers are with him and his family, as well as with Bing's family.

Thank you for posting this. I am still in shock.

I'll help

Lorien-
I’m trying to look close at your avatar and I think I may have taken that picture. Was it when Bing gave you that Icarus folder in Seattle at the pre-funk? I have been thinking about that trip a lot today and the car ride with Bing. Also reminiscing over the look on your face as it set in that he was giving you that folder. He was tickled to death both before and after. He couldn’t wait to surprise you and was over joyed afterwards. But, that was Bing. Really been missing him today while reading through this and talking with some mutual friends. I hate that he’s gone....

On a side note, is there a way I can get your email or something Lorien? Wanted to send you a message sometime.

Jeremy

Last edited:
Very, very sorry to hear this. :( I only met him briefly, but he seemed like a real good guy and was clearly a very talented knifemaker. Too, too young to pass! Prayers sent for his family, friends, and all those he touched. And thanks to Dudley and Logan for sharing all this information here, and your very well-written and heartfelt posts.

Back