Terrible News

Lorien-
I’m trying to look close at your avatar and I think I may have taken that picture. Was it when Bing gave you that Icarus folder in Seattle at the pre-funk? I have been thinking about that trip a lot today and the car ride with Bing. Also reminiscing over the look on your face as it set in that he was giving you that folder. He was tickled to death both before and after. He couldn’t wait to surprise you and was over joyed afterwards. But, that was Bing. Really been missing him today while reading through this and talking with some mutual friends. I hate that he’s gone....

On a side note, is there a way I can get your email or something Lorien? Wanted to send you a message sometime.

Jeremy

you got it, Jeremy. That Seattle show was an incredible experience that I'll never forget, and Bing kicked it off in the most amazing way possible- he gave me that knife, (a pattern he named Icarus) when I arrived, at the Pre Funk

over the past couple of years, Bing and I schemed and planned in preparation for his retirement from the job he was ready to give up, in order to pursue that which made him happy- the people and the craft that our community is built upon. I intend to fulfill my part of the plan and honour him and his good name

Marilyn is the love of Bing's life, and I realize that I have little consolation to offer. I hope to expand my ability to contribute in my way over time. For now, let me just say that Bing was ALWAYS bragging on his offspring. Constantly. Marilyn, if you are reading, that is the highest credit to a wife and mother that any husband and father can give, from my point of view. His love for you was obvious and full

my heart goes out to the Quesenberry family for having to absorb the full tragedy of our community's loss. I hope that in time, the knowledge that Bing was in his glory doing exactly what he wanted to be doing, immediately prior to his passing, will outweigh the grief and sadness of this loss of our good friend and brother. He was dreaming the soul of steel on his way to Valhalla

to Ed Caffrey, Bing's closest friend- I mourn for you as well as for Bing. I lost another of my closest friends just shy of a year ago. When we lose a friend who's so close to us as to consider them family, we lose a portion of ourselves that never fully returns. There's no way to sugar coat the loss, but it does help to know that we are not alone and we learn to see our friends in places both expected and unexpected. They are never totally gone, because we bring them with us everywhere we go

for my part, in retrospect, I consider Bing to be the uncle I never had. While we are close friends, his 20 extra years of life experience gave him the wisdom that I consider an inestimable value of the elder. He shared that wisdom with me without condition, and I looked up to him immensely for that, but we also connected as brothers and good friends. I miss Bing a lot. This is a heart breaking state of affairs

VXXqSgi.jpg

haqQlPc.jpg

Last edited:
To the knife community at large, I was very sorry and saddened by hearing about Mr. Bingenheimer's sudden and unexpected passing. I only knew of the Gentleman having come across his folder collaboration with Lorien Arnold through some very good online friends I have made on Nathan's sub-forum. Although I felt that I had no business to engage on here other than just lurking and reading the comments, Lorien's post above moved me to express and post my sincere condolences to both Bing's Family and Friends.

Lorien, you're one heckuva talented knife designer and I'm certain that everyone already knows this being a statement of the obvious facts. However above and beyond your talents, you write so well and express your heart's feelings so eloquently; you have a caring soul aptly matching your talents and logic. May the passage of time soothe your pain of the recent losses and may this time make your endeavors stronger to continue with the legacies which your friends left behind :thumbsup:

The loss of Bing has been quite a shock to our community. My condolences go out to those who were immediately affected: Bing's wife and family especially but also, Ed Caffrey, Mike Q, and so many others. Just weeks ago Bing and several of us were visiting and I'm so glad I thought to snap a photo. You just never know. I'm going to really miss him.

That sucks. I bought a knife from Bing a couple of years ago and our first conversation was like it was our one hundredth. He was such a pleasure to work with and while his knives are great pieces of art, the man was even better. Bing was a gentleman artisan and will be greatly missed.

Not too long ago, Bruce posted a thread summarizing his retirement, his first year as a "full time" maker and discussing his plans for the future. I was so happy for him.

I met Bruce at my first show in Little Rock. Honestly, my wife struck up a conversation with him and bought a couple knives from him. She told him I was a new maker and this was my first show and he insisted that he come over to my table to meet me. I, of course already knew who he was due to his WIP posts on the Bingalor here on Bladeforum. He was warm and genuine and he gave me a lot of pointers at that show. He gave me his card and said to call him if I ever need help with anything.

I next saw Bruce at the CKCA banquet prior to Blade and it was as if he was an old friend. We talked much during that show and he introduced Karen and I to Ed Caffrey, another friendly and generous maker. Over the past four years, Bruce and I really only talked at shows, via email and through Instagram but, it always felt like we were close friends. One of my fondest memories is sitting with he and Ed, drinking coffee and swapping ideas in the mornings before the Blade Show.

This year, I decided not to get a table at the Little Rock show. I did however agree to go shoot photos for social media promotion. I spent most of my time there visiting with Bruce and Doug Campbell. I remember handing Bruce a folder before the show and telling him to "pick it apart". He asked, "Do you really want me to pick it apart?" Then he put on his glasses and pulled out a flashlight. After several minutes of looking the knife over he proclaimed, "your screws are too long!" I was puzzled. There was no way my screws could be too long. My method of construction ensures all screws are flush. As I looked down into the knife under the illumination of Bruce's flashlight, I saw what appeared to be six tiny screws protruding into the knife past the liners. My heart sank; how could this have happened? Then a lightbulb came on and I said, "That is Loctite!" Bruce said, "Okay then, YOU HAVE LOCTITE SHOWING INSIDE YOUR KNIFE!" He brushed it out with a q-tip and we had a good laugh.

I will miss him.

Bob

Back