The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

I'd apply nail polish to the parts you want to remain the same, then dip it in 1/2 strength ferric chloride for about 30 minutes.

Here's an example where I did just that very thing. I haven't posted it yet because this project isn't complete yet.

Note that afterwards, I attacked
it with a Sharpmaker rod to get that stonewashy look.

This is an S35VN blade. Very similar in corrosion resistance to 154CM.
View attachment 1370209
View attachment 1370207 View attachment 1370208

You could attempt vinegar with that same method if you don't have ferric chloride, but I doubt it'll get it dark enough for you. This is one is about 20 minutes, give or take, on 52100 steel, which has about as much corrosion resistance as rebar (in other words, no corrosion resistance whatsoever).

View attachment 1370210

Thanks! That's exactly the look that I'm going for...I could dip it and lightly sand the high spots for a two tone look.

Thanks! That's exactly the look that I'm going for...I could dip it and lightly sand the high spots for a two tone look.
That was my thought too! I hope it turns out well. You can get ferric chloride from Amazon pretty readily if you don't have some already.

Here's a quick update... finished with the metal work on one side...

eh5PnBA.jpg

52dZ5EL.jpg

So, one of the pivot screws on the PM2 is completely stripped just completely sheared. What now?

Titanium drill bit? Say f it, buy a used pm2 and go from there?

So, one of the pivot screws on the PM2 is completely stripped just completely sheared. What now?

Titanium drill bit? Say f it, buy a used pm2 and go from there?
You can drill it out... Send it my way if you can't get it. I have replacement screws too.

You can drill it out... Send it my way if you can't get it. I have replacement screws too.

Thanks, I have brand new screws and scales already but I need to send some knives to you for sharpening. I'm just terrible at it.

I wanted to ask you, on my Hogue Exploit could I send it to you for some customization? Gray is boring.
Hmmm...that's an anodized aluminum frame, not really much you can do on that. Can't easily change the anodizing like Ti, and cutting through the anodizing (hand engraving) tends to look like crap as there's a tendency to Chip around the edges of the cut:(

Edit-you could jazz it up a bit by accenting the machined design with some black enamel or cerakoat, etc...just a thought

Back