The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Thanks for the kind words everyone! There are so many talented people in this thread and on bladeforums! This is a great place to display projects. I learn so much by talking to other members and seeing what they are workin on.

No where as nice as that engraving, but Chip sure knows how to make it look like it was factory.
XKuL96k.jpg

By opening up the hole a little it makes it much easier to get my thumb in there, sort of like the Gale Bradley.:)

No where as nice as that engraving, but Chip sure knows how to make it look like it was factory.
XKuL96k.jpg

By opening up the hole a little it makes it much easier to get my thumb in there, sort of like the Gale Bradley.:)
I still can't believe they didn't do that from the factory, just a small chamfer makes a HUGE difference in ease of opening:confused:.

I haven't been over here since last Spring and will need to scroll back some to catch up. In the meantime I've made my typically small mods with stuff I can buy or swap around with a few knives I've picked up along the way. On this one I added these flame-ano'd Wilkins to this 550...

oL50Xln.jpg

...to give me this...

qsk1sq5.jpg

...and swapped out the black Parkerized split arrow I was gonna use on it to my all-Wilkins scaled and re-bladed used-to-be 551...

krGUpyB.jpg

...which gives that one more overall tonal contrast plus a black hardware and bead match, while the bright Wilkins deep-carry clip really pops on the brightly colored scales on the 550.

VA2YJlp.jpg

took my bag o'knife to the studio

IMG_0066.jpg

First up was drilling the clip off the scales. The screws were in there good so I needed to extract the screws.
I thought I learned something the first time I did this.
Apparently not because as I was doing the countersinks...

IMG_0071.jpg

I almost packed up and went home.
There went like 12 bucks worth of cocobolo!
Okay, take a deep breath!
Try again.
If you look at the screw holes you can see how deep I counter sunk the holes.
Too deep!
Now I had to fab some washer/spacers:

IMG_0076.jpg

Two! and I still need one more.
Then I had to figure out why the scales were not lining up.
Five hours later:

IMG_0078.jpg

I think I'm done messing with it for today!
The first set was actually slightly thinner than this set, which is cut to 1/8".
Now they are too fat, so I'll need to work the edges a bit more.
Waiting on a tap so I can install the clip and then I'll be done.
I think.

Back