The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

shuffle.jpg

Was bored so converted my KS Shuffle to a frame lock

As anyone who owns one of Gary’s sheath knows, they are fabulous. I own a few of Gary’s sheaths and took inspiration from his handiwork to make my own for my Vanderkolff slipjoint.
Spent most of the day on this one. :)

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley thank you for answering my leather questions a long while ago and hope you take this as a compliment to your skills.
You rock!!
9164B6E5-169D-4304-B57B-90F16D238C5D.jpeg

Nice! Great job and beautiful knife too
G2
Thank you Gary. That means a lot coming from you. Got a nice snug fit too!!
As you know, I have been trying my hand at wet formed sheaths for a few months now...took a few sheath’s to get the hang of it, and I am super happy with this one. I still have a lot to learn though.

Looking forward to more sheaths from you in the future!

As anyone who owns one of Gary’s sheath knows, they are fabulous. I own a few of Gary’s sheaths and took inspiration from his handiwork to make my own for my Vanderkolff slipjoint.
Spent most of the day on this one. :)

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley thank you for answering my leather questions a long while ago and hope you take this as a compliment to your skills.
You rock!!
View attachment 1570113

Great molding job and tight stitch work! 💪🏻

WValtakis WValtakis , What kind of sacrificial adhesive are you using for workholding while you engrave? And do you think that it would work for scale materials (e.g. G10, micarta)? I'm planning to do some modifications that would benefit from a temporary fixture to put them on a Bridgeport mill.
I use hot glue, but the trade product is Thermolock. A few drops of denatured alcohol releases it👍

I use hot glue, but the trade product is Thermolock. A few drops of denatured alcohol releases it👍
Thanks, I'll give Thermolock a try. Hoping to mill about 3/32" off of the handle of an aluminum ProTech Malibu for black micarta inlays. Was thinking I'd glue the scales to an aluminum fixture plate and put the fixture plate in the machine vise. I think that I'll likely try this out on a piece of 6061-T6 stock first at 1.5-2x the feedrate that I intend to use on the scale to make sure that the fixture can withstand the loads.

Appreciate the advice!

Thanks, I'll give Thermolock a try. Hoping to mill about 3/32" off of the handle of an aluminum ProTech Malibu for black micarta inlays. Was thinking I'd glue the scales to an aluminum fixture plate and put the fixture plate in the machine vise. I think that I'll likely try this out on a piece of 6061-T6 stock first at 1.5-2x the feedrate that I intend to use on the scale to make sure that the fixture can withstand the loads.

Appreciate the advice!

Please don't try to use hot glue to secure the piece for CNCing. I recently shipped out a piece of DamaCore that was too small to be clamped for CNCing and they used superglue and tape.

Check out the second part of this video. It's kind of the standard for securing pieces for CNCing that are too small for clamping.

Just a couple of minor scale/hardware swaps today. :)

First up is a Kershaw Leek. I took the black liners and blade from the acid-washed, S30V Random Leek sprint and threw on the carbon fiber scales from the CPM-154/CF Leek. Then I added blue anodized, titanium MXG standoffs, blue anodized, titanium screws from BladesWeLove, and a sandblasted Lynch titanium deep carry clip. I was going to go with the black cerakote clip, but they were sold out. I'm pretty happy with how the knife turned out. :)

I'm going to take the stonewashed CPM-154 blade and liners and add some purple scales and give it to the wife. No idea what I'll do with the yellow/14c28n Leek, probably give it away.

fgk6ebR.jpg

0lZADYP.jpg

fu7sQHe.jpg

jHyo6L6.jpg

aHnW2Bx.jpg

And then I added some new blue anodized, titanium screws to my Chaparral LW. :)

gip9RRv.jpg

T1ZZ4yw.jpg

Trimmed and reshaped the scales both ends and liner pivot side on my Luzon to make a window breaker mod
Please don't try to use hot glue to secure the piece for CNCing. I recently shipped out a piece of DamaCore that was too small to be clamped for CNCing and they used superglue and tape.

Check out the second part of this video. It's kind of the standard for securing pieces for CNCing that are too small for clamping.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. The Bridgeport isn’t a CNC, it’s a manual mill. I’ve been running them since 1990, but I don’t have access to a NC machine.

Going to give this a try, worst case I’m out $3 worth of aluminum bar.

Back