The $500 Question

Wolverine666

Gold Member
$500 (give or take a few bucks) can buy a hell of a knife. Here's a new list of offerings that have caught my eye as of late. Wondering which you guys favor and why :

- Large Sebenza
- Umnumzaan
- Akribis
- Gold Class 710-141
- Gold Class 7505-132

The knife will be carried. No queens here.

I am a Benchmade Axis fan from day one, but for the money, I'd go with one of the top three on your list. The large 21 (if that's what you're referring to, rather than the 25) is a genuine classic and a heck of a knife. The precision-fitted bushing is more or less unique. On the other hand, the Umnu is a fabulous knife, too...so many knives, so little time...

The 7505 is such a unique knife. Were it my money, that's what would be in my pocket.

Dat steel, dat double-action, dat Ti.

I am a Benchmade Axis fan from day one, but for the money, I'd go with one of the top three on your list. The large 21 (if that's what you're referring to, rather than the 25) is a genuine classic and a heck of a knife. The precision-fitted bushing is more or less unique. On the other hand, the Umnu is a fabulous knife, too...so many knives, so little time...

Aside from the blade steel (S30V to S35VN) and slight change in handle shape , is there a great difference between the Seb 21 and 25 ? The Sebenzas , which once looked drab and lackluster to me, now seem masterful. I believe my taste in knives has matured through experience having used many different blades.

And although I have yet to handle one , the Akribis looks seductive. Almost as seductive as the dressed up 710-141 Gold Class. But the Damasteel is not my first choice for the blade. Or my second.

I've been eyeing some William Henry folders with ZDP-189 steel blades.
As each has their own plans on how to use their carry knives, it's hard to choose.
I don't have much more knowledge about knives in this price class, but the Sebenzas are great. A Lg. 21 with inlays fits right into the price range!

Though I haven't heard of it before now, the Akribis' shapes--blade and handle--are wonderful. :D

Aside from the blade steel (S30V to S35VN) and slight change in handle shape , is there a great difference between the Seb 21 and 25 ? The Sebenzas , which once looked drab and lackluster to me, now seem masterful. I believe my taste in knives has matured through experience having used many different blades.

And although I have yet to handle one , the Akribis looks seductive. Almost as seductive as the dressed up 710-141 Gold Class. But the Damasteel is not my first choice for the blade. Or my second.

My Lg. Sebenza 21 has a blade of S35VN steel. I believe they switched over around early 2011?
The Sebenza 21 has a hollow-ground blade, while the 25 has a large hollow-ground blade, which is between a hollow-ground and a flat-ground blade.
The 25 doesn't have the pivot bushing that the 21 has, also. I prefer the look of the 21 to the 25, but I also believe that the 25 is even more robust and has more blade belly.

If you have never had a sebenza, i'd try one, a large one is orgasmic for the first time :D

Try the Wilson Combat Star-Tac which is a CRK Umnumzaan with the Wilson StarBurst pattern which makes it unique, looks better and assures a better grip.

Titanium-2.jpg

The 7505 is such a unique knife. Were it my money, that's what would be in my pocket.

Dat steel, dat double-action, dat Ti.
I could go for that, but isn't sale somewhat restricted due to it being an auto?(might want to watch who's around you when you pop the thing open too;)).

In any case, M390 is a proven workhorse steel for me. I find CRK steels to be a bit on the soft side, though you'd probably have to cut cardboard all day everyday to notice.

Depends on what you want in the knife. Damascus is cool, but I wouldn't expect it to keep up with high carbide steels like M390. Looks wise, I'd go with the 710.

For perfect fit and finish, CRK offers the tightest tolerances in the market.

The Akribis is an unknown for me, but I'd personally go for the Carbon Fiber dealer exclusive CRK Sebenza at that price point.

I would say Akribis just because everyone owns a CRK. Might as well have something a little different. I actually sold my Large 21 Micarta, so I can keep my Akribis. That ergo is very hard to beat. The smoothest knives that I own are Andre Thorburn L36 on IKBS, ZT0777 on KVT, and Akribis on washers and bushing.

Back