The $500 Question

7505 is a terrible choice for an EDC. Ergonomics are all wrong. Great fun, but I personally prefer a fat blade and slender handles.

I'd second the suggestions for CRK knives. Even more emphatically the suggestions for customs or high end midtechs.

I'd have to say that the CRK or the Akribis is the way to go... There are a few Customs out there as well for that $500 or so price tag.
We could go on and on about this for quite a while it just comes down to what you are looking for in the moment.

Yes we could go on all day about this but it's nice to get opinions and thoughts from people who actually carry these knives and know what they're talking about before I drop five bills on a knife.

I like both the plane titanium Seb and one with anyways. The 25 is more attractive in my opinion but either one would fit the bill. And that Akribis is just so damn good-looking.

I will look into the previously mentioned custom knives.

None of the above.

Go check out his new website: www.helpful.com

My input: while I, personally, would choose a knife that does not appear on your list, I would go with the Umnumzaan if I were you. After owning many 21's and Umnumzaans, I prefer the Umnum...it just seems more burley and I swear I grew at least three new chest hairs after owning my first...possibly as many as 7!

From your list I would go with the Akribis, I love Spartan blades, have my Enyo on as I type this. But for that money I would go after a Hinderer just my .02

I would spend under $500 and go sebenza that said tobin smith is a badass his knives are beautiful!

Nice selection.
I'd go for the Sebenza.
Proven simple design.
If weight matters to you, get a CF scale.
red mag

My choice for that price range - over 3.5yr ago - was this WC/CRK 'StarTac' Umnumzaan - a great pocket knife:

004-4.jpg

It wasn't available from WC the last I checked, admittedly some time ago. A standard 'zaan is a great knife, although I am more fond of the WC variant's scale design.

Stainz

Yes we could go on all day about this but it's nice to get opinions and thoughts from people who actually carry these knives and know what they're talking about before I drop five bills on a knife.

I like both the plane titanium Seb and one with anyways. The 25 is more attractive in my opinion but either one would fit the bill. And that Akribis is just so damn good-looking.

I will look into the previously mentioned custom knives.

Sweet, you're actually going to use it. I'm assuming that you've never had a Seb. It's a good knife, but it has never done it for me. The large 21 micarta that I sold was the 5th Sebenza that passed through my hands in two years. I just can't seem to keep them. However, everyone should experience a Sebenza, and judge for themselves. If you must have a CRK, then go with a Zaan. It's my favorite CRK. Ergos on the 25 didn't do it for me because of the hotspot on the clip, and it didn't feel as refined as a 21 or Zaan. I enjoy my Spartan as you've seen in my other thread. What really set the Akribis apart from the Sebenza for me was the ergos. The nice rounded and hand filling handles of the Akribis is much more comfortable than a Sebenza's boxy handle including the inlayed handles. The thumbstuds are more comfortable too. The only thing about the Akribis that I don't like is the coated blade, but I understand their reason behind it. If they made a SW Akribis, then I'll be a very happy camper. I'm just not a big fan of coated blades, but I love mine nonetheless.

I'm currently looking for a CRK umnumzaan. I already have a small 21 and the fit and finish, the precision of manufacturing and the looks are just amazing. It's one of the very few objects you will come across in life which is perfectly executed.

That being said, the knifes are expensive. You don't buy them for their superior functionality, there won't work better than paramilitary 2 for example, so they're not for everyone.

You buy a CRK because it's perfect in every measurable way.

Last edited:
I think the 25 is a good choice, much better ergos than the 21.

I've owned and used both, and will own another 25 in the future.

The umnum is also a solid choice.

I'd go crk over benchmade gold class anyday, pay for quality instead of a production knife with some pretty clothes.

Aside from the blade steel (S30V to S35VN) and slight change in handle shape , is there a great difference between the Seb 21 and 25 ? The Sebenzas , which once looked drab and lackluster to me, now seem masterful. I believe my taste in knives has matured through experience having used many different blades.

And although I have yet to handle one , the Akribis looks seductive. Almost as seductive as the dressed up 710-141 Gold Class. But the Damasteel is not my first choice for the blade. Or my second.

21 vs. 25: I think there's a really fundamental difference. The 21 continues the traditional precision-fit bushing system used by CRK. Just crank the pivot bolt all the way down and done. No adjustment, no Loctite, no nuthin'. The 25, like the Umnu, uses the traditional adjustable pivot.

+1 For the Wilson Combat Startac, I bought mine from a user on this site and I love it. It is by far the best knife I've ever owned.

Not trying to be a fanboy here but I have to agree with this. They certainly aren't for everyone in the same manner that CRK isn't for everyone but if I was told that I had $500.00 that I had to spend on a knife, I without a doubt, would go directly to the exchange and hunt for an XM18. They can be had for around that fairly commonly nowadays. As long as you are getting a 3.5" spanto or slicer. If I had to choose one on your list, I would get a lightly used Umnumzaan or Sebenza (21 or 25) off of the exchange and a $150.00 steak dinner with drinks:) You should be able to find either of those in close to new condition for $350.00.

From your list I would go with the Akribis, I love Spartan blades, have my Enyo on as I type this. But for that money I would go after a Hinderer just my .02

Jake Hoback Midtech Kawaibak

Or a David Clark custom (clarkblades.com)

I agree with Mr. Raymond that you can easily find a used (sometimes more used, sometimes less used) large 21 for $300-$350 that will last you the rest of your life although there is something about getting one brand new and you're the one to break it in and it's yours and only yours. Beat it up a little and don't like how it looks? Tried out a scotchbrite finish and don't like it? Send it in and for no more than what it costs for you and your lady to get a couple burritos from Chipotle, you end up with a brand new knife in your hands after a few weeks. I think it's natural for knife enthusiasts' tastes to evolve, and I'd only recommend people to move up to CRK level and higher only if they've tried out a bunch of stuff from different brands and aren't satisfied and looking for something more. It ain't gonna cut any better, but like most finer things be it wine, watches, etc, it's just one of those things you have to appreciate for what it is. I can't speak for any of the others' customer service or quality, but all of this applies to the other options on your list except forget finding a Hinderer for $350.

As far as being different, what do you drive? Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota? Everybody's got one of those too. Get what you like.

Hinderer XM-18 Slicer in your flavor of scale color or type! One heckuva knife, make great users and can be as classy as you wish.

Last edited:
Back