The "Ask Jo (NinJO) Thread"

Hi Jo,

Didn't want to clog your email with anything further, but I sent a request over the weekend Friday night (I know you were at a cut) for a Pirtle sheath for my shiv preorder. TIA!

Hi Jo,

Didn't want to clog your email with anything further, but I sent a request over the weekend Friday night (I know you were at a cut) for a Pirtle sheath for my shiv preorder. TIA!
I'm sorry, I've been a little overwhelmed in the actual shop this week. I'm way behind on emails. I will try to get caught up tomorrow.

Thank you!

Thank you for the explanation! I definitely want both personally, I don't like storing knives in leather if I can avoid it, but generally prefer to carry them in leather.

I used to be the same. But ever since the below explanation from Chad, for Pirtle, Duramax and Lorien sheaths I don't mind using them for storage any more.

Roland,

"As with a great many things in life, the general consensus is usually wrong, misguided or the path of least resistance I have thought about writing an article for Blade about this topic for years but I'm not much of a writer and rarely transfer my thoughts to paper as well as I speak or think them.

Leather doesn't cause rust, at least the leather any respectable leatherworker making sheaths or holsters would use.

What causes rust is condensation building up inside a sheath and then not being properly ventilated, which then translates to moisture and then possibly rust. Envision being out working in 80-90 degree weather with 95% humidity, then you walk into your air conditioned home and leave your knife in the sheath. As the cold air cools your sheath and the inside of the sheath and the knife are still moist and hot, condensation can develop. Later on the knife/sheath is tossed where it's kept and Eventually everything will equalize and dry out, but the next time you got to use it you could have some rust developing. This is going to happen with Kydex or leather, just a fact, leather does take a little longer to even out because it has insulating factors.

The best thing you can do is draw the knife, put it somewhere safe for a day and once everything is adjusted to the inside temperature and humidity they can safely be rejoined and stored indefinitely.

In a nutshell, temperature and humidity variations create the potential for knives rusting in sheaths. Keep those factors stable and you should never have a problem. I'd still advise a light oil or ren wax on your blades to be safe, but I have 1095 and 01 knives that have been stored in my gun safe for many years in their sheaths with zero rust or patina other than what I put on them in use. One being a knife my mom and dad bought me for Scouts some 40 years ago that's likely never seen a drop of oil.

Hope this helps"

Thank you for the explanation! I definitely want both personally, I don't like storing knives in leather if I can avoid it, but generally prefer to carry them in leather.

I hate carrying kydex because I carry a knife on my belt, hunt from the ground and the kydex always makes that scratchy plastic noise when branches rub against it, I just like leather better. Before storage I just make sure the blades have a light wipe down with oil and have made sure they’re acclimated to the temps like in the quote above. I’ve really had no issues storing blades in their leather sheaths and that includes a lot of carbon blades.

I could see how it may become an issue if you were taking your collection on the road and showing it around the country etc, in and out of changing weather a lot, but for home storage I haven’t seen a negative effect.

I used to be the same. But ever since the below explanation from Chad, for Pirtle, Duramax and Lorien sheaths I don't mind using them for storage any more.

Roland,

"As with a great many things in life, the general consensus is usually wrong, misguided or the path of least resistance I have thought about writing an article for Blade about this topic for years but I'm not much of a writer and rarely transfer my thoughts to paper as well as I speak or think them.

Leather doesn't cause rust, at least the leather any respectable leatherworker making sheaths or holsters would use.

What causes rust is condensation building up inside a sheath and then not being properly ventilated, which then translates to moisture and then possibly rust. Envision being out working in 80-90 degree weather with 95% humidity, then you walk into your air conditioned home and leave your knife in the sheath. As the cold air cools your sheath and the inside of the sheath and the knife are still moist and hot, condensation can develop. Later on the knife/sheath is tossed where it's kept and Eventually everything will equalize and dry out, but the next time you got to use it you could have some rust developing. This is going to happen with Kydex or leather, just a fact, leather does take a little longer to even out because it has insulating factors.

The best thing you can do is draw the knife, put it somewhere safe for a day and once everything is adjusted to the inside temperature and humidity they can safely be rejoined and stored indefinitely.

In a nutshell, temperature and humidity variations create the potential for knives rusting in sheaths. Keep those factors stable and you should never have a problem. I'd still advise a light oil or ren wax on your blades to be safe, but I have 1095 and 01 knives that have been stored in my gun safe for many years in their sheaths with zero rust or patina other than what I put on them in use. One being a knife my mom and dad bought me for Scouts some 40 years ago that's likely never seen a drop of oil.

Hope this helps"
That's a great explanation! However, my reasoning is a little different (after Chad had also given me that recommendation quite awhile back), and it was learned from personal experience.

Even thought it's pretty dry here, it get a little bit humid in my basement in the Spring sometimes, so I always keep dehumidifiers in my safe, several of them, to prevent any chance of rust. The problem with that is it will dry out leather! To the point that I've stopped storing the leather sheaths in the safe. Kind of the opposite problem as before lol. 🤦‍♂️ 😑

I hate carrying kydex because I carry a knife on my belt, hunt from the ground and the kydex always makes that scratchy plastic noise when branches rub against it, I just like leather better. Before storage I just make sure the blades have a light wipe down with oil and have made sure they’re acclimated to the temps like in the quote above. I’ve really had no issues storing blades in their leather sheaths and that includes a lot of carbon blades.

I could see how it may become an issue if you were taking your collection on the road and showing it around the country etc, in and out of changing weather a lot, but for home storage I haven’t seen a negative effect.
That's exactly one of the reasons I generally prefer leather. Especially during archery season.

Hi Jo, is there going to be much of a difference between the wood scales from the last K20 preorder at $350 (IIRC) and this current K20.1 preorder at $250? Different kind of wood perhaps? My guess is this: Nathan was in pain and on pain meds, kinda high and left $100 per handle on the table again (per usual 🤣)

Back