The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, two questions. First, will you offer the thinner stock version of the fk2 in the future pre-order? Second, is it possible to offer a rough around the edges version to lower costs to those of us who don't plan on ogling your work, just using it? Maybe add a small marker to indicate this option so future buyers might not be fooled on the secondary market?

Nathan, two questions. First, will you offer the thinner stock version of the fk2 in the future pre-order? Second, is it possible to offer a rough around the edges version to lower costs to those of us who don't plan on ogling your work, just using it? Maybe add a small marker to indicate this option so future buyers might not be fooled on the secondary market?

I second offering the rougher version idea. I love Nathan's work but its getting a bit spendy for us averages joe's imo.

I second offering the rougher version idea. I love Nathan's work but its getting a bit spendy for us averages joe's imo.

Spendy? You really must be kidding. Nathan's pricing is actually almost too low for it's high quality. I betcha he wouldn't want to put his name on ANY production model that is "rough" - though I would not presume to speak on his behalf, naturally.

Last edited:
Spendy? You really must be kidding. Nathan's pricing is actually almost too low for it's high quality. I betcha he wouldn't want to put his name on something that is "rough".
I have to agree with you on this Bob, Nathan's work is under priced considering what you are getting. :eek: He offers a blade that you can stake your life on without hesitation.

Spendy? You really must be kidding. Nathan's pricing is actually almost too low for it's high quality. I betcha he wouldn't want to put his name on something that is "rough" - though I would not presume to speak on his behalf, naturally.

Not saying the price isn't good for what your getting. That does not change the fact that not everyone can afford a 400+ dollar knife.

Not saying the price isn't good for what your getting. That does not change the fact that not everyone can afford a 400+ dollar knife.

Hey, no one said that everyone irrespective of income should be able to buy one, either. Besides, he produces limited runs, not everyone even gets a chance to buy one. And IMHO he would be lowering his standards if he produced anything else but the quality for which he has become known.

End of commentary.

I feel what Argyle is saying. At least in reference to 2018 - the year of the choppers.
I picked up a BC and a HDMC in 2018. I spent all my knife money here at CPK. I don’t regret it at all. CPK does represent a great value for the product you get.
The choppers were expensive relative to my disposable income. I would have liked to have picked up an MC as well. But the truth is I won’t have my HDMC paid off until February or March of 2019.
It’ll be nice to have the smaller blades that are “on the board” this year and I’m sure CPK’s pricing will continue to represent incredible value.
If different levels of finish are offered, and they affect price, I’ll be buying the cheapest finish - hopefully multiples.

I just hope the UF’s are around long enough for me to snag one!

I know that I love using all of my CPK knives. They all offer me value in an area that I need them in. BC or MC for the big and rough stuff, HDFK for the camp chores and fire building. These knives are not for everyone, as they do fall into mid to upper range price-wise. But like Nathan said, I know they will make them as affordable as possible. The toughness/edge retention of D3V, ergonomics of the handle, either choked up or down for the chop, attention to detail, like the crispness of the laser etching, perfect grinds, chamfers, fullers, sharpness etc. make it all worth the extra price for me. When you buy a CPK, you buy it for life.

I know that I love using all of my CPK knives. They all offer me value in an area that I need them in. BC or MC for the big and rough stuff, HDFK for the camp chores and fire building. These knives are not for everyone, as they do fall into mid to upper range price-wise. But like Nathan said, I know they will make them as affordable as possible. The toughness/edge retention of D3V, ergonomics of the handle, either choked up or down for the chop, attention to detail, like the crispness of the laser etching, perfect grinds, chamfers, fullers, sharpness etc. make it all worth the extra price for me. When you buy a CPK, you buy it for life.
7K0FGQF.jpg

Nathan, is a folder maybe in the future in the next 12-18 months? If so or not would you lean towards a friction or slip joint style or flipper variant? Thanks

I am actually of the opinion that a folder design can become a serious drag on the CPK operation. Not insinuating that they have no to little experience with folders as both Lorien and Mark have collaborated and produced their own folders but I also know that the folder market can be very fickle. Don't get me wrong, as I'd love to see Nathan's D3V steel in the folder realm but by the same token the rabid folder folks look at a thousand and one different facets of a folder other than its steel's attributes (OK, I'm being a bit too dramatic but you get my drift!).

I must say that a CPK slip joint may be a pretty cool idea though because of the way Nathan does his steels and also how talented he is when it comes to handle scales. Let's not forget that Nathan had carried a CRK Mnandi for a looong time and that he perhaps still carries that lil bugger!

Because of some of the complexities with a folder was why something like a friction folder with a thin blade would be great. In my non knife construction mind it seems like it wouldn’t be as crazy from a design point of view and would make a great edc folder. Have a Fk for heavy stuff and the folder to replace my opinel or slipjoint in the pocket when bumming in the woods.

With all due respect;
not everyone can afford a $400 knife. So what? Not everyone can afford a lot of material things.

Most users of this forum would likely be fairly well served by a $150 knife made by a factory company, given the amount the majority actually use their knives. Hell, most people could make do with a shitty gas station knife.

We like these forums because our tastes are specialized, we like being able to get 'better things', even when boring, mediocre, cheap, easy to get things will do the job.

Compare a CPK to the product and service of CPK's closest competitors- that's the way to gauge the value. Someone willing to do the research will find that CPKs are at the lower end of the price spectrum, all things considered.

It's a pet peeve of mine when folks complain about the prices of the stuff they pursue as a hobby. Talk about first world problems:rolleyes:

No worries, I was d*ck slapped myself last week after being both hasty and inarticulate by calling someone else (a friggin attorney at that!) inarticulate. Getting d*ck slapped once in a bluemoon is good for you. It resharpens dulling senses :D

I didn’t read the comment as a general complaint about CPK’s pricing. I think everyone here agrees they’re a great value. This year saw a lot of of great models being turned out. But each run is only available in limited numbers for a limited time, so you either get on board when they’re available or miss out. In that light, I can see why some might appreciate a “rougher” version that permits them to still enjoy the unique quality of the product (the thought process and expertise that goes into the design and materials) at a price point they feel they can more readily afford (perhaps in some cases opting for a less “refined” version).
I hope that everyone can get as many of the different models as they desire while those that are involved in their making are appropriately rewarded.

Last edited:
Seems to me that presenting a lesser quality knife of the same production model might alter the views of the maker's primary buyer market. Might seem like a good idea for the buyer without the funds to buy the good one, but a problem for the maker if his reputation takes a hit. I think the idea really sucks, frankly.

End of commentary - again, lol.

Seems to me that presenting a lesser quality knife of the same production model might alter the views of the maker's primary buyer market. Might seem like a good idea for the buyer without the funds to buy the good one, but a problem for the maker if his reputation takes a hit. I think the idea really sucks, frankly.

End of commentary - again, lol.
Point taken and it’s ultimately for Nathan to decide. I didn’t mean to suggest offering a lesser quality knife. I guess I was thinking of past offerings of “blems” where we all know they aren’t at all lacking in terms of their quality, merely in terms of how “pretty” they are.
But I’ll end my commentary here, too. I buy what I feel I can afford and let the rest pass by.

Compare a CPK to the product and service of CPK's closest competitors- that's the way to gauge the value. Someone willing to do the research will find that CPKs are at the lower end of the price spectrum, all things considered.
Yep.

That's precisely what drew me to CPK. There's no other manufacturer around, that focuses on all aspects of a knife's performance, from the blade geometry, handle ergonomics, heat treat etc., and provides the equivalent performance, at these pricepoints.

Lots of manufacturers focus on aesthetics (nothing wrong with that, especially for knives that will never be used). Some manufacturers focus on some performance aspects, but are lacking in others. No one else provides the total performance bang-for-the-buck that CPK does.

Back