The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Yes I know what you mean by saying 'cold dead hands' not mine but my wife's.;) I made the mistake of letting her us it in the kitchen and now it has a permanent place in the knife block. It has been sharpened a couple of times, but as Nathan stated it is a straight razor:D
ETk9Stw.jpg
. I purchased two of these about 10 years ago and this one Nathan ground thin with a nice hollow grind. The other one I let go to Justin.

:eek:

On a more serious note, I've heard a lot about these D2 Skinners, and the potato knives, and there's something to be said about the fact that they NEVER show up on the secondary market. Owners like em so much, they apparently fall in the 'cold dead hands' category.

I'd give mountains of cash for a potato knife. I can only hope they make a comeback someday.

Or the elusive CPK pairing knife / chef knife combo in AEB-L finally becomes a reality. That would be a dream come true.

Then my kitchen needs will finally be complete.

True. But it still means I have absolutely zero chance, even if I tried stopping by the roadside to make an attempt.

The demand for these is so high, I knew it was pointless to even bother asking for a proxy. Even the folks who have several UFs already, want one in D3V.

I just hope I'll have a chance to snag one before they're all gone, but if there's only going to be ~100 of them, at 5 per sale at 3pm, my chances aren't looking very good.:(

True. But it still means I have absolutely zero chance, even if I tried stopping by the roadside to make an attempt.

The demand for these is so high, I knew it was pointless to even bother asking for a proxy. Even the folks who have several UFs already, want one in D3V.

I just hope I'll have a chance to snag one before they're all gone, but if there's only going to be ~100 of them, at 5 per sale at 3pm, my chances aren't looking very good.:(

I think that Nathan is trying to get as many as possible and as fast as possible in the proverbial early adapters’ hands, by the end of this month so if that means 5 at a time, then maybe so be it?

I’m in total agreement with the gist of your post that it would be a crying shame if the most ardent supporters of all things CPK who have been waiting for a looong time for a UF, do not end up with one and miss the boat because of the craziness of the FCFS system specially when supplies are limited. I trust that Nathan will come up with a more fair and equitable system for the rest of the 90 or so. I truly do :)

I’m one of those lucky ones with a UF in my fold which I traded for behind the scenes. I had another UF which I had no problem paying more than 2 x its CPK price and would do again any day and twice on Sundays! That said, none were the field grade at CPK prices which I’d be more tempted to put to use. We easily have about 50 or so regulars in here who ought to be able to land one of the buying system was dialed in, some may even get 2. What gets me miffed is that the proverbial bird of prey types who do not contribute anything but $$$ to CPK manage to swoop in and snag based on FCFS.

Nathan, I know that this sounds like sour grapes but on many occasions I just can’t hold my darn tongue, a personality characteristic quality which I’ve been blessed with. I’ve now said my piece, many times over

Matty out!

Yeah toss me right in there too
:-( I’m way too slow to compete unless these slow way down lol These are highly in demand and I can see why :)
But I think we all knew Demand would be way up there :)
All but one of my CPKs I was able to score through preorder
:) :)
Let’s cross fingersthese slow up a bit down the road :)

Nate we need a sale with 50 UF’s , then we will all have a chance rather than the 5 fastest . And of course we would know if your towards the bottom of the list it will be a wait , like A NOT ANOTHER PREORDER SALE SALE .

Nate we need a sale with 50 UF’s , then we will all have a chance rather than the 5 fastest . And of course we would know if your towards the bottom of the list it will be a wait , like A NOT ANOTHER PREORDER SALE SALE .

Jake, this is just my own guess / intuition so please take it as pure speculation from a middle aged nutcase in perpetual midlife crisis phase!

I think that Nathan will be keenly looking at the next sale or two and then will hone things down to a more fair system for the rest of us schleps.

Back