The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

I wanna say "Advanced Industrial Machining" but I'm probably misremembering, lol:confused:

Sorry, I actually have no idea.

Advanced Idea Mechanics is what AIM stands for in the Marvel Universe. But it sounds good. :oops:
So you were just blowing smoke, maybe I should ask Jo but she’s busy this weekend at nationals. And to think, I thought you had all the answers?

Hey Nathan, I have a bunch of shipping boxes with AIM industries on them. What does AIM stand for?

It actually doesn't stand for anything...

Almost 20 years ago I started a little job shop. We did some machining, welding, fab work, fixtures, prototypes, stamping etc. It needed a name so I named it aim so it would be short, easy to remember, and high on an alphabetical list of vendors. And I was getting into parts for firearms so it seemed like a good enough name. Then I capitalized all the letters. Folks would assume it stood for something but nope...

Then I started producing knives and now the name really makes no sense. We're "CPK", but on paper we're a small corporation called AIM. *shrug*

So you were just blowing smoke, maybe I should ask Jo but she’s busy this weekend at nationals. And to think, I thought you had all the answers?

:oops:

It actually doesn't stand for anything...

Almost 20 years ago I started a little job shop. We did some machining, welding, fab work, fixtures, prototypes, stamping etc. It needed a name so I named it aim so it would be short, easy to remember, and high on an alphabetical list of vendors. And I was getting into parts for firearms so it seemed like a good enough name. Then I capitalized all the letters. Folks would assume it stood for something but nope...

Then I started producing knives and now the name really makes no sense. We're "CPK", but on paper we're a small corporation called AIM. *shrug*

Brilliant.

The wife and I have spent way too much time thinking of a name to start different businesses. This is my new method.

Nathan, hello :)

I just got caught up and read that your previously announced sale of some Medium Choppers, has now been replaced with a large amount of UFKs for this Friday April 26th.

As an early adapter and owner of the Medium Chopper pattern from 2018, I didn't add another MC to my preorder when I had the chance and went with the HDMC option instead. If possible and when your tight schedule permits, I would like you to explain the tweaks (pics would be great if/when) between this newer 2019 MC as opposed to that older 2019 MC which I do not want to call the prototype version (yet!).

I am trying to decide about which CPK chopper would be the most utilitarian chopper if I was FORCED to only keep and own one. I am leaning more toward the MC as the most balanced as a-jack-of-all and if so, I would like to pick up a 2019 version with Terotuf as some point during a Friday's sale.

TIA, M~

ETA: per post below I may have misinformed about the MC sale date. So Sawweee!

Last edited:
Nathan, hello :)

I just got caught up and read that your previously announced sale of some Medium Choppers, has now been replaced with a large amount of UFKs for this Friday April 26th.

As an early adapter and owner of the Medium Chopper pattern from 2018, I didn't add another MC to my preorder when I had the chance and went with the HDMC option instead. If possible and when your tight schedule permits, I would like you to explain the tweaks (pics would be great if/when) between this newer 2019 MC as opposed to that older 2019 MC which I do not want to call the prototype version (yet!).

I am trying to decide about which CPK chopper would be the most utilitarian chopper if I was FORCED to only keep and own one. I am leaning more toward the MC as the most balanced as a-jack-of-all and if so, I would like to pick up a 2019 version with Terotuf as some point during a Friday's sale.

TIA, M~

ETA: per post below I may have misinformed about the MC sale date. So Sawweee!

The changes from the MC prototypes to the MC production are minor.

The biggest change is the bevel geometry has been tweaked with a small change to the S grind (due to R&D from the comp choppers) and the bevels are being left a tad thicker than the prototypes, which had been almost LC thin.

The chamfer at the scales are being tweaked to be a gradual sweep rather than abrupt.

The flats are ground rather than milled

Lorien's mark is being cut with a .030" tool rather than .020" to make the marks wider to eliminated the multiple passes to reduce spindle time and eliminated roughness that was occasionally trapping tumbling grit.

The lanyard hole was tweaked.

The jimping process is being added to the trimout process to reduce artifacts created by blending the two steps.

The blade and handle shape are unchanged from the final MC prototypes, the bevel angle and edge angle are also unchanged. So the changes from final prototypes to the production design are minor and would not be noticeable to most people.

The HDMC is thicker at both the edge and the spine, has a taller grind and a smaller fuller as a result and a different wider blade shape. The grind angle is the same as the MC and the Comp Choppers, just heavier/thicker.

The changes from the MC prototypes to the MC production are minor.

The biggest change is the bevel geometry has been tweaked with a small change to the S grind (due to R&D from the comp choppers) and the bevels are being left a tad thicker than the prototypes, which had been almost LC thin.

The chamfer at the scales are being tweaked to be a gradual sweep rather than abrupt.

Lorien's mark is being cut with a .030" tool rather than .020" to make the marks wider to eliminated the multiple passes to reduce spindle time and eliminated roughness that was occasionally trapping tumbling grit.

The lanyard hole was tweaked.

The jimping process is being added to the trimout process to reduce artifacts created by blending the two steps.

The blade and handle shape are unchanged from the final MC prototypes, the bevel angle and edge angle are also unchanged. So the changes from final prototypes to the production design are minor and would not be noticeable to most people.

The HDMC is thicker at both the edge and the spine, has a taller grind and a smaller fuller as a result and a different wider blade shape. The grind angle is the same as the MC and the Comp Choppers, just heavier/thicker.

Thanks for the info Nathan...:thumbsup:

I was curious if you could clarify for me regarding the MC knives that were sold at Blade '18 and whether you would consider them Proto or Production? My sample of the MC purchased last June seems to have hand ground flats/primary bevels?

Thanks again,
Pol

Thanks for the info Nathan...:thumbsup:

I was curious if you could clarify for me regarding the MC knives that were sold at Blade '18 and whether you would consider them Proto or Production? My sample of the MC purchased last June seems to have hand ground flats/primary bevels?

Thanks again,
Pol

No production MC have shipped yet

No production MC have shipped yet

I'm sure that Pol must've picked up from this line in your post # 2671:

Because he seems to think that the MC which he got from the Blade Show '18 has flat grounds as he states it. Perhaps it is possible that there are different variations of that "prototype" MC. To me the takeaway is simple, if the MC was bought in '18, it ain't a production model MC.

Back