The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

With winter mitts on you can’t use the little sparker things so the knife is the best option. Not a lot of guys will have that issue but in the northern half of the continent it is a thing to be mindful of

Canadian here! I actually never wear mitts for camp chores - even winter camping down to -35C. I would rather switch to light/midweight gloves to tinker with a fire or knives than to fumble around with big mitts.

That said, my mora has a 90 spine and I rather use that on a ferrorod than a cpk haha but that's just me.

It seems like the UFK is thicker behind the edge than the FK (0.020" vs. 0.015") and sharpened at a more obtuse angle (18° (also seen 20°, would be nice to know which one is the standard) vs. 15°). What was the design philosophy behind this change? With the UFK geometry I doubt if it can slice as well as the FK in the demonstration video on YouTube, though maybe it would sustain less damage smashing through a cinderblock. Will it be possible to ask for different grinds in the pre-order?

Also I would like to know if there is a difference in the durability of burlap micarta and canvas/linen micarta? Thank you.

It seems like the UFK is thicker behind the edge than the FK (0.020" vs. 0.015") and sharpened at a more obtuse angle (18° (also seen 20°, would be nice to know which one is the standard) vs. 15°). What was the design philosophy behind this change? With the UFK geometry I doubt if it can slice as well as the FK in the demonstration video on YouTube, though maybe it would sustain less damage smashing through a cinderblock. Will it be possible to ask for different grinds in the pre-order?

Also I would like to know if there is a difference in the durability of burlap micarta and canvas/linen micarta? Thank you.

Yes, in the pre-order you will be able to order thinner grind and edge geometry and also a harder heat treat. I'm using the geometry and heat treat that we use now because in our development we found it gave the best combination of properties, but some people will like the harder thinner blade we used to use.

I have not done extensive testing but it seems to me the regular canvas Micarta is the most durable scale material we offer.

Yes, in the pre-order you will be able to order thinner grind and edge geometry and also a harder heat treat. I'm using the geometry and heat treat that we use now because in our development we found it gave the best combination of properties, but some people will like the harder thinner blade we used to use.

I have not done extensive testing but it seems to me the regular canvas Micarta is the most durable scale material we offer.

whatever the original FK/D3V specs are, that is a winner

I was really excited about this pre-order. Then you added thinner stock... I really hope we're not limited to 1 per lol. I'm counting the hours now.
That's the beauty of the pre-orders; order as many as you'd like, with whatever variations and options, and they'll make 'em.

You could order a separate knife with each of the different ~3 dozen or so scale options to match your wardrobe, if you chose:D

Back