The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

How many Fk1 were produced in antique edge cut? I was running through old sales ads and noticed what appears to be 2, but I wanted to verify.

As I get closer to completing a full set this one seems like it's going to haunt me.
I'm sorry I don't remember

I'm sorry I don't remember

Legit Q:

At the beginning, you were doing very, very little samples of scales in AECM which has made some of them really, really sought after in the secondary market for the grail chasers. Why were they done in such limited numbers back then 3 years ago? Is it because you had like a smaller block of it before you had scored that big supply from the ship builder's? Or were you waiting for it to mature more or what? Just inquisitive because I'm interested in CPK history!

Legit Q:

At the beginning, you were doing very, very little samples of scales in AECM which has made some of them really, really sought after in the secondary market for the grail chasers. Why were they done in such limited numbers back then 3 years ago? Is it because you had like a smaller block of it before you had scored that big supply from the ship builder's? Or were you waiting for it to mature more or what? Just inquisitive because I'm interested in CPK history!

The edge cut antique Micarta does not come from flat stock or sheet but was machined into a shape long before we laid hands on it. It was challenging to work with at first because we didn't really have a good way to process it. We'd hold onto it like it was a piece of wood to slab it but the cutting forces are much higher than cutting wood so this was a little sketchy. It was a novelty item and we weren't able to do much of it.

We have since figured out how to process it and have secured all of the material that was available. There are a few extra steps to it but I have the process figured out pretty well now.

Well, there is still plenty left of it, LOL. You make it sound like I sold my collection, but what I sold was pretty much one piece here, one piece there, to individuals I cannot name at this point. Many pieces have found new homes over time, since at one point, I had three of everything (EXCEPT FOR THE SKINNERS):D

Nathan, just to confirm, the next sale for the DEFs is next Friday, right?
That's the plan anyways...

These are a tricky pattern. We're getting some scrap. I have to fulfill the pre-orders so I'm not sure how many are going to be left over for open orders.

That's the plan anyways...

These are a tricky pattern. We're getting some scrap. I have to fulfill the pre-orders so I'm not sure how many are going to be left over for open orders.

Scrap(s) as in like some small Qty becoming available again or as in a struggle following the first sentence? I feel very fortunate to have scored an additional one of the DEFs (as a followup to my preorder) after I found out that the variation was going to be much more intricate than just putting a sharp top edge.

I sure hope that you'll be able to offer up some more after you catch up.

Scrap(s) as in like some small Qty becoming available again or as in a struggle following the first sentence? I feel very fortunate to have scored an additional one of the DEFs (as a followup to my preorder) after I found out that the variation was going to be much more intricate than just putting a sharp top edge.

I sure hope that you'll be able to offer up some more after you catch up.

a few are destined for the creek bed but most are going to get reworked into some kind of a wacky Wednesday rework or similar. They're going to be good functional knives but they'll be out of spec. this will be empty space fodder for us to fool with at some point down the road for fun Friday sales. but it does mean we're going to have to stop doing our Friday sales on this double edge fighter so we can make sure we have enough to finish the pre-order.

Back