The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

damn! Thanks for the heads up
still would like one of Nate's steel ones though

dug out the old motor, I think this should work fine. It's pretty burly with 1.5hp and pretty low 1750rpm so I don't think torque will be a problem
kpSVPTn.jpg

I'll have to figure a bunch of weird things out before I can put this to use, but I'm most of the way to a tool that I reckon will be pretty useful

Last edited:
Hi Nathan, do you have a picture of the basic 5” field knife with scales? We would love to see the big brother too if it’s available.
Not yet but soon. I need to get the new machine on line and start the production run of scales for that. It's going to be a little while because I need to do a little debugging on a new process. Soon.

Carrying over the sweet spot discussion to this thread. So I took a look at my MC today to see how I was using it and more so where it's hitting when chopping.

L6DRIYR.jpg

Most of the scratches are in this area. I'm not competitively chopping but I like to make sure I'm using the most effective and efficient method I can. So my question is am I using this knife properly based on this? Should I be chopping closer to the handle for more weight/arm strength in the cut?

Carrying over the sweet spot discussion to this thread. So I took a look at my MC today to see how I was using it and more so where it's hitting when chopping.

L6DRIYR.jpg

Most of the scratches are in this area. I'm not competitively chopping but I like to make sure I'm using the most effective and efficient method I can. So my question is am I using this knife properly based on this? Should I be chopping closer to the handle for more weight/arm strength in the cut?
Don't have my MC handy, but going off memory, that looks about right.

The thing is that as you chop, you'll be able to feel it. Even with knives of similar size and length, there will be a slight difference based on the particular design's balance.

A more forward heavy knife (like a kukri), will have the sweet spot for power cuts further forward. Something with a comparatively lighter blade will have the sweet spot further back.

Swords and long machetes are a different story and the mechanics of cutting/chopping with them are different than chopping with a 6" - 12" blade.

Forgive my ignorance if the answer is common knowledge around these parts, Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , but will some incarnation of the EDC be making a reappearance at some point in the relatively near future?

Smaller knives and the highly anticipated (future) folder will find their way into my personal rotation much more so than the larger knives, despite my affection for larger, heavier duty fixed blades.

I carry a neck knife daily, have for many years...I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something from CPK suitable for carry in that arena. Food for thought.

This one from Darrel Ralph, (S90V), gets carried quite a bit:

Darrel Ralph Neck Knife.jpg

Forgive my ignorance if the answer is common knowledge around these parts, Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist , but will some incarnation of the EDC be making a reappearance at some point in the relatively near future?

Smaller knives and the highly anticipated (future) folder will find their way into my personal rotation much more so than the larger knives, despite my affection for larger, heavier duty fixed blades.

I carry a neck knife daily, have for many years...I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something from CPK suitable for carry in that arena. Food for thought.

View attachment 1605384
#notnathan but the micro-EDC is in the future list!

View attachment 1605384
When I saw you picture it made me thing about CPK Skinner.
Hope one day Nathan will make some again, there is so much hype around it (tho it was made in D2 not 3V or D3V).
Not to stay off-topic here is his "in-works" list
Also in the works:
Possible kitchen knife
Micro EDC
Folding all steel field knife
Integral Shiv
Axe
Utility Fighter 2
Looking forward to hear Nathans answer about your question and about Skinner.

How should the basic field knife be listed in the encyclopedia? BFK? Just basic field knife? How should we annotate the 'basic' line of knives?
That's a good question. I am wondering if any knives will be exclusive to the Basic line (I.E. a wharnie we have never seen on another knife. Just spitballing). That would make it an exclusive to the basic line, but not a signature series. Just musing. Don't mind me.

That's a good question. I am wondering if any knives will be exclusive to the Basic line (I.E. a wharnie we have never seen on another knife. Just spitballing). That would make it an exclusive to the basic line, but not a signature series. Just musing. Don't mind me.
Would the Kephart count as an exclusive to the "basic" line?

Back