The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan- What do you personally carry for a fixed blade and a folder if you carry one?

Thanks

chocolate or vanilla?

Nathan- What do you personally carry for a fixed blade and a folder if you carry one?

Thanks

The knives I use the most:

Usually when I use a fixed blade around the shop or home I use a prototype EDC in 3V at HRC 62. It's sharpened 15 DPS.

For fine/precision tasks needing an extremely sharp blade such as shaving fine burrs off plastic parts we machine I use a D2 skinner at HRC 61 that's hollow ground almost as thin as a straight razor. It's sharpened around 13 DPS. I also use this for skinning and disassembling deer.

In the kitchen I have three potato knives that are all ground different. There is a standard that Jo and I use on vegetables, a special thinner standard with a 48" hollow grind on the back I use on fish, and there is a thick one with a flat saber grind I use as a beater knife (pitting avocados etc). I also use an "Old Hickory" carving knife that I reground with thin 36" hollow grinds. There's also a very thin J knife in VG10 I use to skin Salmon.

For a pocket knife I carry a modified Reate folder that I thinned and Nathanized the blade shape. It's S35VN at HRC 60, sharpened around 18 DPS.

Around the yard I use a convex ground Racing Chopper sharpened 15 DPS that can remove limbs from trees and bushes like you're flicking a light switch.

Most of my own knives are thinner than most people use, and I use them hard. But, I'm not averse to repairing or replacing a knife if it gets damaged.

Nathan, boxers or briefs?

boxers

chocolate or vanilla?

Raspberry with dark chocolate

Pepsi or coke

tea

Favorite beer: Stone Self Righteous Black IPA

Favorite Scotch : Laphroaig (10 year, not the fancy stuff)

Favorite smoking pipe: Missouri Meerschaum

Favorite rifle: Jarrett Beanfield rifle Rem 700 7mm

Favorite cat: N/A

lol 'favourite cat'

Great response lol. I want to get my hands on one of those RLC's so bad I can taste it. I'm a Victory Hopdevil man myself but Stone puts out some good beers.

Hi Nathan,
Congrats on the well deserved accolades regarding the CPK Light Choppers' winning performance in the cutting competition at Jerry Fisk's 2016 Micro Show!
This was Bill Flynn's second win, but first with one of your knives.....correct? A very capable champion and notable that he chose the light chopper to step up his game :thumbup:

My question........was this the standard light chopper? Or would this be the "Racing Light Chopper"? Any other custom tweeks to this competion version?

Thanks

Hi Nathan,

With the current field knife being discontinued soon. What are the possibilities of another version of the field knife showing up down the road ? Also any chance of it being a heavy duty version ? For example like your heavy duty chopper and light chopper. I'm a big fan of 4-4.5 blade general use all around knives.

Thank you

was this the standard light chopper? Or would this be the "Racing Light Chopper"? Any other custom tweeks to this competion version?

Thanks

I recall it was a standard configuration when it left my shop. I don't know if it received any edge tweaks or not. They come standard at 20 DPS. If it were me, I would compete with 18 or even 15 (and keep it out of knots)

Hi Nathan,

With the current field knife being discontinued soon. What are the possibilities of another version of the field knife showing up down the road ? Also any chance of it being a heavy duty version ? For example like your heavy duty chopper and light chopper. I'm a big fan of 4-4.5 blade general use all around knives.

Thank you

I will revisit a Field Knife pattern after I have the next round of LCs, EDCs and the SK out. I like the idea of there being two versions, an HD and a thin. :thumbup:

" Nathan the Machinist "

That's really great to hear :) !!!! I see a lot of CPK knives in my future :)
Can't wait to see the SK that should be one awesome blade !
Thanks

" Lorien "

That's great to hear that you were also thinking same !

Hi Nathan,
I was lucky enough to score an edc on the exchange but it came without a sheath. Is it possible to order just a horizontal kydex sheath? Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is some. But the material does not process the same as G10 or phenolic. It looks like machining it isn't working out very well, the burlap is too fuzzy and not fully impregnated. Milling and buffing is a no-go. We're able to rough it on the mill but so far it looks like they'll need to be hand shaped and finished with abrasives for good results. So I'm not sure how much of this will work out as finished scales.

Sell 'em as a kit! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Georgecatl

The light chopper I used was exactly as I got it from Nathan at this year's Blade! Tero tuff handle.

I didn't even sharpen it, and had previously used it to remove tree limbs at my house

My previous "win" was with a Shawn McIntyre MS chopper, which I still have and which is also a great knife.

Now, before anyone gets too carried away....I was very fortunate (and happy) to win this cutting comp, but it's not like I'm going to be challenging Dan Keffler anytime real soon :D

Jerry comes up with some very interesting and amusing tests, so you really need a knife that can do a little bit of everything, and the chopper worked great

Bill Flynn

Back