The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Any idea when the last of the EDC2 pre-orders might be shipped?

It looks like we're shipping about 30 a month. I don't know exactly where we are on the list, but I'd guess probably another three months before the last of them ship. That's just a guess.

It looks like we're shipping about 30 a month. I don't know exactly where we are on the list, but I'd guess probably another three months before the last of them ship. That's just a guess.
Are there going to be anymore Friday sales....which seems to amount to 20 edc2's a month

“ Nathan ”

My question is in regards to the tip of a knife blade. I’ve read where you’ve mentioned the blade tip is not reinforced. Now I own a couple of your blades and the tips appear to be very sturdy. What would be different to be a reinforced point ? I keep looking at my HDFK thinking it’s a beast !! What would’ve been done to bullet proof the tip ????

Also wanna say , thank you for the great Knives !! Truly great work !!

Thanks Nathan, the question was in regards to a prototype BC I just acquired. Is there any chance an OD Green pair could be "massaged" to fit?

Also, will there be an easy way to tell the prototypes from the pre-orders?

~Chip

“ Nathan ”

My question is in regards to the tip of a knife blade. I’ve read where you’ve mentioned the blade tip is not reinforced. Now I own a couple of your blades and the tips appear to be very sturdy. What would be different to be a reinforced point ? I keep looking at my HDFK thinking it’s a beast !! What would’ve been done to bullet proof the tip ????

Also wanna say , thank you for the great Knives !! Truly great work !!

The point can be a highly stressed area that is thin (it's part of the edge, far from the spine) and poorly reinforced (edge from only one direction) so is commonly broken in rough use or if dropped. There are a number of ways to reinforce a tip but they all involve additional meat in the tip. One way is to simply grind the bevels wider there (we do that), another way is to twist the bevel to a more obtuse angle as it approaches the point, and another way is to move the shoulder of the grind (usually at the spine) down and directly behind the point (a diamond shaped blade cross section). Our reinforced point on the Shiv includes all of these and can be dropped point first onto concrete from shoulder height without losing the tip, despite being a narrow stabby point. This material helps bolster what is normally an inherently weak spot.

20180126_090715.jpg

Thank you for explaining that in such detail :) !! Great information and explains some. On why on some of my hard use knives have such a more obtuse edge nearing the tip. I really like how on your knives the edge practically stays the same all the way to the tip. Your grind line down to edge stays almost perfectly even across the blade. So I had been wondering how you’d be able to beef that up, now I know :)

Thank you !!!

Hey Nathan, quick question...Couldn't pm you so figured I'd post here. I saw you were going to be making more of the radius and chiller platens.... What time frame are you thinking they will be done (need to make sure I have the $$ because I NEED them haha) and secondly, will you be posting a thread here in the knife maker section once you have them ready or only be posting them on your site? Thanks...

Meister Stahlschmied Nathan: any guesstimate or ETA regarding the MC's maiden voyage onto these shores?

About a month would be my guess.
Is there a post I can read detailing the differences between the MC and LC? I really like the LC, and have a BC on pre-order, and was wondering where the MC fell (i.e. why the LC is discontinued and the MC seems to be the replacement).

Is there a post I can read detailing the differences between the MC and LC? I really like the LC, and have a BC on pre-order, and was wondering where the MC fell (i.e. why the LC is discontinued and the MC seems to be the replacement).

Here are a few links to Nathan's most recent posts / answers regarding the MC for you to get some more perspective on it:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-38#post-17287202

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-56#post-17488312

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-66#post-17638213

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/photos-post-your-cpk-photos-here.1404389/page-171#post-17745078

Thanks Casinistocks! Your search-fu is certainly better than mine. I tried searching the CPK forum for both 'MC' and 'Medium Chopper' and got so many results talking about the anticipation of it. I think I forgot to narrow it to only find posts by Nathan.

Hey Nathan, quick question...Couldn't pm you so figured I'd post here. I saw you were going to be making more of the radius and chiller platens.... What time frame are you thinking they will be done (need to make sure I have the $$ because I NEED them haha) and secondly, will you be posting a thread here in the knife maker section once you have them ready or only be posting them on your site? Thanks...

Probably within the next week or so. Yes they'll be on the Knife Maker for sale area.

I've made many hundreds of the 10" LC and I don't want to make it anymore, I want to make something different.

I'm doing a slightly more stout design, it weighs a little more and the geometry is not quite as thin. It will probably be around .220" thick, we've done a wide range for testing. It looks a lot like the Heavy Chopper prototype but the grind geometry is better designed for cutting performance.

One of the most significant tweaks is a revised grip design that we're very pleased with. The original grip was very good, but I think the new design is a little better. The grip doesn't look that different in a picture but in the hand it's noticeable.

I've made many hundreds of the 10" LC and I don't want to make it anymore, I want to make something different.

I'm doing a slightly more stout design, it weighs a little more and the geometry is not quite as thin. It will probably be around .220" thick, we've done a wide range for testing. It looks a lot like the Heavy Chopper prototype but the grind geometry is better designed for cutting performance.

One of the most significant tweaks is a revised grip design that we're very pleased with. The original grip was very good, but I think the new design is a little better. The grip doesn't look that different in a picture but in the hand it's noticeable.
Thanks for the info.

So would I be in the right ballpark, thinking of the MC like a beefed up LC geared more towards a sort of Large Camp Knife category (eg. Esee Junglas, CS Trailmaster, Ontario RTAK), i.e beefier for things like chopping and batoning, while still being lighter, and able to cut and perform finer tasks better than the more chopping oriented HC/BC?

Back