The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, do your kids make fun of you for still using an old and dusty yet still trusty, Dell computer?

But what other major brand of computer still come with a serial port for my rs-232...

Who here would even know a Serial Port if they saw one?

Is the upcomig FK2 the same knife as seen in the DEK1 thread?
Sorry if this has been answered before...

Is the upcomig FK2 the same knife as seen in the DEK1 thread?
Sorry if this has been answered before...

completely different knives, but in the same size range. I expect the FK2 to be of slightly thicker stock than the DEK1, and for it to be made from 3V. The DEK1 will be AEBL

The intent is to conform pretty close to the original but with a slightly higher grind and to lose the tang scraper and revisit the grip. We may offer a "standard" and a "thin" version with the thin version being thinner stock and thinner grinds.
Hi Nathan,
Are there stil plans to offer FK2 in standard and a thin version ? Just curious as to how many piggy banks I need to break open :) lol

Also I’ll second Tommygun for a UF pre-order :) one can hope :)

Thank you for all the updates and info you provide. It’s great that you take the time to provide us with it, much appreciated !!

Nathan, could you EXPOUND on your statement of "Limited Run" of the UF:confused: Does this mean Friday Sales, 1 Time Pre-order etc?

Also have you determined what thickness the New FK2 will be?o_O

Not even close to being a Nathan in any manner of speaking but to me a limited rum means that it will be offered once just like the Blade Sport CC was, hopefully as a preorder which in and of itself may become limited to a certain number of units. Therefore, first come / first served rules would still apply but Nathan being quite cognizant of the inflationary UF prices in the secondary markets, may wish to alleviate the supply method so to not exacerbate that situation any further (relying merely on a Friday sale will shoot up the 2ndry prices) yet not flooding the market with his signature UF pattern which was always a limited run pattern.

If any of the above makes sense to you, please also share your take with me :D :D :D

I've been perusing threads here and reading up on CPK and the various knife models, but I do have a question. In some cases, a sharpening angle of 20 degrees was mentioned, then there is the youtube video of testing the Delta 3V heat treat at an sharpened angle of 18 degrees, then there is another youtube video demo of the field knife, and that one mentions a sharpened angle of 15 degrees. So what angle is being used on new production Delta 3V CPK knives - 18 degrees on everything, or does it vary from model to model? What angle is currently used on the HDFK?

completely different knives, but in the same size range. I expect the FK2 to be of slightly thicker stock than the DEK1, and for it to be made from 3V. The DEK1 will be AEBL

Quick thoughts on steel choice (AEBL)?
I know it’s been very popular lately, just curious why moving away from D3V for this one.
Better corrosion resistance for those in the PNW, ease of sharpening... what were the deciding factors?

ETA: to answer my own question: super fine grain -> for slicer (doesn’t need to be as tough) with added corrosion resistance comes to mind. Not sure how AEBL and 3V compare re grain size.

Last edited:
I've been perusing threads here and reading up on CPK and the various knife models, but I do have a question. In some cases, a sharpening angle of 20 degrees was mentioned, then there is the youtube video of testing the Delta 3V heat treat at an sharpened angle of 18 degrees, then there is another youtube video demo of the field knife, and that one mentions a sharpened angle of 15 degrees. So what angle is being used on new production Delta 3V CPK knives - 18 degrees on everything, or does it vary from model to model? What angle is currently used on the HDFK?

It depends on the knife. The Potato Knife was 15 on one side (zero on the other), some of the A2 Shiv were 23. The Racing Competition Choppers are 15, the EDC are 18, and right now everything else is 20, though the Heavy Chopper may be more than that. There are two versions of Delta 3V, one is on the line between a plate and a lath martensite microstructure, the other is a plate martensite. I use the lath and the 20 edge on choppers and knives that see impact, I use the plate martensite because it supports a thin crisp edge for the small knives at 18 and under. There is no one perfect one-size-fits-all, things are adjusted in places.

Thank you so much for this information. I'm hoping to be fast enough to get in an order for an HDFK this Friday.

Back