1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by JustinFournier, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    End of year?

We do have a few from development we may finish out.

Dimensions are different, you would need a custom sheath.

2. cdf293

cdf293 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Are there any sheaths available for the HDFK or will I need to have one made?

3. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Yes we have sheaths for the HDFK both Teklok and Dangler. Please contact Jo.

cdf293 likes this.
  4. jjweb

jjweb Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Nate when are the UF and Shiv getting on the sched ? Thanks

XtianAus and Odog27 like this.
  5. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    The Shiv, probably not any time soon. We wanted to run the UF in 2018 but we're half way through the year now...

We'll run the Field Knife 2 and the 6" Utility Fighter after the current batch of HDFK are finished. We'll run MC and HC after the batch of BC are finished. A medium size knife and a chopper can run through here concurrently. We're in a lull now as we were building up inventory for Blade, replaced a machining center and are building pre-orders but we'll get back into full swing again by the end of summer.

Short answer: the FK2 and the UF are both on the schedule but won't start cutting chips for ~ two months.

ATJ999, NiceNife, cold one and 15 others like this.
  6. ElCaptain

ElCaptain

May 1, 2011
    Hey Nathan, thank you for the info on the upcoming UF. Will there be changes made to the design and if so do you have pics? :)

- SpyderMan - likes this.
  7. NiceNife

NiceNife

May 19, 2018
    Hi Nathan!

Do you have any plans to make a knife with a convex or Scandinavian grind in the future?

Standard78 likes this.
  8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Somewhere around here there is a video of Nathan's manufacturing process and it is extremely informative, and really amazing what the man can do with a set of machining equipment. I'm sure Nathan can expound on this, but I have to bet his approach would involve perfecting the convex or scani-grind on a machine and not a hand grind if he's going to do it on a production basis.

Standard78 likes this.
  9. xxwarderxx

xxwarderxx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

Wait... HC ? I did not think that was going to go to production. Is it going to be the same as before?

Is there any chance a batch of Potato Knives and Skinners could make it in the schedule for 2019?

Is the desert ironwood still being worked with and will it be available to order?

Odog27 likes this.
  10. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Nathan is this picture taken by the "Godfather" Mr. Betzner a preview of the upcoming UF release? Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Yes,
    No...

12. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Scandi, no. Convex, perhaps.

Standard78 likes this.
  13. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    The MC is based on the HC. Since the MC is going into production I'll offer the HC as an option on the pre-order. It's not a particularly reasonable knife, but some people want something indestructible and heavy. *shrug*

I may revisit the skinner and Potato knife at some point in the future but it's not on the schedule

The Iron Wood has stopped losing weight and is ready to use (it was already aged) so I'll use it on a run of EDC this year.

ni1s, xxwarderxx, Phill50 and 5 others like this.
  14. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    No that's an old blank that I largely hand ground to have something interesting to take to the show. The new version will have chamfers and probably a few other tweaks.

15. NiceNife

NiceNife

May 19, 2018
    Ahhh, can you please make me a convex Field Knife for $500-600?

One can only dream :rolleyes:

16. Nathan the Machinist

Feb 13, 2007
    Sure. For 500 I could skip the milled bevels and grind some convex by hand. That's a lot of coin for a Field Knife though?

Odog27, NiceNife and Grenock like this.
  17. TommyGun56

Jul 29, 2014
    Chamfers are a good thing on the New UF IMO-Thanks Nathan

Slayer_Slaine likes this.
  18. NiceNife

NiceNife

May 19, 2018
    For your extra time and care to make a convex FK2? I am willing to do $500. I have never bought anything from you before, but your skill is well known. Please tell me how to begin this process.

Grenock likes this.
  19. betzner

betzner Best of the West Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007

Odog27, TommyGun56, T.O. and 2 others like this.
  20. TommyGun56

Jul 29, 2014

Odog27 and betzner like this.