The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Got a new one in yesterday off the Exchange. I've been flirting with a NeOn buy for quite awhile, having just missed on a couple and also having held back a few times too. I decided back a ways that I preferred the Ultra-Lite for it's open back design and didn't mind S30V as Shirogorov does a great job with that steel. My Python is S30V and it sharpens easily and takes a wicked keen edge.

I finally found one LNIB on the Exchange the other day for a reasonable price, so I pulled the trigger. I'll just post some pics for now and share some thoughts about it down the road, although I will say I carried today and am finding it wasn't even broken in when I got it as its action is just getting better and better.

ZbCRwQn.jpg

ftqzZZF.jpg

DtyR3bH.jpg

zCfXpJG.jpg

I could find some love for the NeOn too. Look forward to your report.
Nice pair there for sure :thumbsup:

Ray

My favorite thing about the Neon is the blade shape. Had one but it was a bit too small. I have to say though it packs a lot of cutting edge compared to some full size blades with choils.

My dream Shiro would have to be 95 size with Neon blade shape, polishes flats, 3D contoured plain Jane Ti.

One of the reasons I held off so long on picking up a NeOn, Thin-Slice Thin-Slice , is I was worried about putting so much money into a knife that might end up being too small for both my grip and tastes. Like you, I'm a self-professed larger knife guy. I've been flirting a bit with smaller knives lately, though, trying to find something a bit more discreet that would give me enough edge plus a decent grip for my beat up old carpenter's mitts to hang onto.

I sold/traded my small Seb some time ago as I couldn't get a good grip on it. My ZT 0450 is a bit longer, though skinny of handle, but I hung onto it as it pairs up great with its big brother 0452CF. I ended up putting a CF scale on the 0450 for a better match anyway. I picked up a Giant Mouse GM3 last month and it's a sweet knife with a taste more grip length and a nice down-turn at the pommel. Better grip there, but still just a tad on the skinny side.

I got a nice deal on this LNIB NeOn and am glad I grabbed it. It fits great in pocket, the clip is excellent (no matter what Nick Shabbaz says), and it's wicked light. I like the open construction with single stand-off and no interior milling--super easy to keep clean. As you said, there's plenty of cutting edge for a small knife. The palm swell on the handle nestles into my crippled up hand nicely for a solid hold. It's also an amazing flipper--just a light touch on the tab and the knife flies out like nuthin'--even with a softish detent that lets you pinch the blade open with two fingers.

I think this one's a keeper. :cool:

4fJitvQ.jpg

WZDcIBv.jpg

Oh man Chazzy - if I were rolling in it today this one would be mine :thumbsup:.
You'll be sad to see it go. Good luck. There will be others - though, not likely with such an excellent mod.

Ray

Oh man Chazzy - if I were rolling in it today this one would be mine :thumbsup:.
You'll be sad to see it go. Good luck. There will be others - though, not likely with such an excellent mod.

Ray
Thanks, Ray. I will be sad to see it go--it's a real beauty, but it just sits there coz I can't stand the idea of marking it up. I just bought that NeOn and have a Cheburkov Scout inbound, so I figured it was time to balance things out a bit.

Wow! Those are three beauties, R rexbo . I've almost pulled the trigger a couple times on an RDD and like the look of that RFD, even though I'm not a tanto guy. The Sigma's a looker, too, though I'm not really much into Persians either. Very subtle in its own way. I guess I'm just so into Shiros that if they build a knife in a style I'm not into I still really like it. :cool:

For my part, I'm getting more and more into my Ultra-Lite, which is weird 'coz I'm such a big knife kinda guy. Here's a couple tight shots of my new little fave...

xoewNYB.jpg

swPyAAv.jpg

...and while I shouldn't do this, straying off-topic and risking the integrity of this thread, I'll take some license as the Den's OP and post this pic of my latest Russian acquisition. :oops:

dNsjtdc.jpg

Wow! Those are three beauties, R rexbo . I've almost pulled the trigger a couple times on an RDD and like the look of that RFD, even though I'm not a tanto guy. The Sigma's a looker, too, though I'm not really much into Persians either. Very subtle in its own way. I guess I'm just so into Shiros that if they build a knife in a style I'm not into I still really like it. :cool:

Thanks C--P! I hear ya on the appeal of Shiro even when a particular model isn't your "cup of tea".... it's just everything they produce is just dripping with quality and phenomnal craftsmanship. I know a LOT of people don't think Shiro's are worth the price, but I really think that they are missing out and/or failing to realize just how nice they can be.

The "2 Bear" 110B that started it off for me and a line up of 10 collabs in this box

and that second pic of my dog.. he had a part in deciding that first ever Shiro.
I was contemplating between the 110B and a CF F3 and asked "Which one", more of
a question to myself. Believe it or not, he stick out a paw in front of the 110B.
The Dog has spoken...

IMG_20171223_153821_020.jpg

IMG_20180206_214828_513.jpg

The "2 Bear" 110B that started it off for me and a line up of 10 collabs in this box

and that second pic of my dog.. he had a part in deciding that first ever Shiro.
I was contemplating between the 110B and a CF F3 and asked "Which one", more of
a question to myself. Believe it or not, he stick out a paw in front of the 110B.
The Dog has spoken...

IMG_20171223_153821_020.jpg

IMG_20180206_214828_513.jpg
I've seen pics of the 110 online, a_d. Is the B the knife that followed the Tabargan? Whatever the follow-up 110 was, it didn't seem to stick around very long. I know there were Shiros with the same lock that pre-dated the Tarbargan as well. I'm really conflicted about my barrel-lock Shiro and kinda hope it doesn't sell. I'm for sure not gonna drop the price on mine and am just a hair's breadth from withdrawing it from the Exchange every day.

What's the steel on your 110B?

BTW, there are surely enough of us "enablers" here at BF, so it doesn't seem fair for your dog to push you into knife purchases too. Man's best friend, right? :rolleyes:

Edit: I looked and the Tarbargan has been up two weeks now with lots of likes on several threads, but no bites. I just withdrew it from sale. I feel better now. :)

Last edited:
Chazzy.. timeline for many of the older knives is a little blurry.
I think the 110 came before the Tarbargan/ Jerboa/ NS100 or around the same time. The "B" designation in the 110 series stands for "Bolster"
Anyway all these old knives were announce to be de-comm in 2010 when the first of the flippers started to debut but I think actual ceasing took place later.
This particular config on my M390 blade 110B makes it a keeper... afaik there has only been 2 knives with a ti bolster + cf combo.. this and the Dertnick95 which was produced for only a very short time... that one in itself is interesting as that is probably the first bearing knife from the factory. Nothing like the SRBS we see now.. but drilled out PB washers with 8 balls/ring dropped in like a thrust bearing and the one I have now, its super smooth action wise. Honestly I wouldnt mind if they went back with that bearing for today's productions.

My favorite thing about the Neon is the blade shape. Had one but it was a bit too small. I have to say though it packs a lot of cutting edge compared to some full size blades with choils.

My dream Shiro would have to be 95 size with Neon blade shape, polishes flats, 3D contoured plain Jane Ti.
It's not a Shiro, but the blade shape on the Cheburkov Scout is quite similar to the NeOn's. Maybe not quite as much drop as the NeOn, but more belly than the Shiro 95s.

jvWBGSI.jpg

39JyIAe.jpg

Edit: Of course these are not Russian brothers, but perhaps cousins, and at least comrades in arms. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, A anvil_den and anyone else, have you had any experience with Maria Stalina Knives of St Petersburg, Russia? I have a friend who's looking at something there, but wondering about authenticity.

Last edited:
I love shiros and I liked the neon, loved the size, action, blade shaped, material etc. I can not to this day understand the pocket clip. Looked great, was one of the worst clips I have ever used though, was hard to put on, would slip out easily and that dang point would ruin pants faster then anything. Am I wrong???

I love shiros and I liked the neon, loved the size, action, blade shaped, material etc. I can not to this day understand the pocket clip. Looked great, was one of the worst clips I have ever used though, was hard to put on, would slip out easily and that dang point would ruin pants faster then anything. Am I wrong???
As I mentioned earlier, Nick Shabbaz was all over the NeOn's clip--he just hated it. For my part, my UltraLite's clip has just the right amount of tension, is easy in and easy out, and has not shown any tendency to slip out. I just got mine about 6 weeks ago and have only carried it about two-weeks-worth, but haven't noticed any pocket-shredding tendencies in the little guy.

Makes me wonder if there's some variation in clip tension from knife to knife. :confused:

Back