The Beer Scout Knife

Gotta chime in here to say that I'm happy with the sheepsfoot, and though I don't have a beer scout yet, I would have thought long about preordering if they'd changed the blade to something else. Why mess with a good and wildly popular design? The sheepsfoot excels for slicing and chopping, so it does compliment the bottle-opener as a "bartender's friend," and if the knife is only going to have one blade (or only one that's sharp and cuts stuff anyway) the sheepsfoot is probably the most versatile. I hope they don't change it. Besides, if they did, the rendezvous knives wouldn't be so unique anymore ;)

While some may not agree that the Sheepsfoot is the most versatile blade shape, it certainly has two things going for it:

1. The Sheepsfoot is the most pinchable blade shape in an EO frame.

2. The Sheepsfoot is the longest wearing blade shape. Though none of us will probably wear out a GEC, it is nice to have a blade shape that can be sharpened for years without losing much blade length at all.

I do love a nice sheepsfoot for actual use but always find myself drawn to the look of clip and spear blades.

Last edited:
I'm always saying that I want a spear or clip on the beer scout. What I really mean is a 15 with a caplifter in whatever configuration. I hope to see the radio jack/crown lifter make a comeback soon.

The sheepsfoot blade is probably best for the Beer Scout. Consider what goes very very good with beer? Sausage. The sheeps foot blade is probably the best blade for slicing sausage.

The sheepsfoot blade is probably best for the Beer Scout. Consider what goes very very good with beer? Sausage. The sheeps foot blade is probably the best blade for slicing sausage.

I would argue that most everything goes very, very good with beer...

While this logic is hard to topple, I will argue that the protrusion cuased by the sheepsfoot blade stowed is very squeezable during the lifting of caps. That squeeze may push the edge into the backspring, and thus, making it harder to slice your sausage.

my vote goes for a clip point, which we all know is probably the best blade for slicing brisket.

While this logic is hard to topple, I will argue that the protrusion cuased by the sheepsfoot blade stowed is very squeezable during the lifting of caps. That squeeze may push the edge into the backspring, and thus, making it harder to slice your sausage.

my vote goes for a clip point, which we all know is probably the best blade for slicing brisket.

When I had my Beer Scouts I thought the exact same thing. The blade stuck up so high that when I used the cap lifter I always pushed the blade sideways with my other fingers. I always made a point to 'choke up' closer to tang end so as to not throw the blade off center...

Good points all. Whatever blade is chosen I just hope GEC chooses a stainless next time around. If not, I'll probably get one any way

Good points all. Whatever blade is chosen I just hope GEC chooses a stainless next time around. If not, I'll probably get one any way
A 440C Beer Scout would be hard to argue with, no matter the blade shape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Show me a well-sharpened clip blade that doesn't slice through sausage....?!

:D

My first and deepest impression of a "pocket knife" is a folding knife with a clip point main blade.

I've come to realize it's my lasting impression as well. I love straight-edged blades, especially come time to sharpen or hone, but clip blades win out time and time again. I've also come to appreciate, and maybe even love, bails.

Bring 'em.

~ P.

Show me a well-sharpened clip blade that doesn't slice through sausage....?!

:D

My first and deepest impression of a "pocket knife" is a folding knife with a clip point main blade.

I've come to realize it's my lasting impression as well. I love straight-edged blades, especially come time to sharpen or hone, but clip blades win out time and time again. I've also come to appreciate, and maybe even love, bails.

Bring 'em.

~ P.

There's no question that clip blades are more versatile, but the sheeps foot is specialized for slicing.

There's no question that clip blades are more versatile, but the sheeps foot is specialized for slicing.

Not sure I know the difference between cutting and slicing. I would think all blade shapes aim to specialize in slicing(?).

I like my sheepsfoot. My dream knife is one with a full size clip, full size sheepsfoot, plus cap lifter. Basically and beerscout plus clip. A guy can dream. 😀

For the good of mankind and future of our world, I volunteer to fully investigate the advantages, and disadvantages if any, of the sheepsfoot vs clip for sausage & beer.

This study will answer questions vital to our future! If the Forum will deliver two cases of bottled beer, I will donate cases of sausage from a local well respected butcher shop. Bags of charcoal are waiting by the Weber! Testing and evaluation to begin tomorrow morning for breakfast. No lolly gagging here!

I'll sharpen my knives and fill the ice chest tonight!

In the words of Patrick Henry "my only regret is that I have but one stomach to give to the Forum!"

For the good of mankind and future of our world, I volunteer to fully investigate the advantages, and disadvantages if any, of the sheepsfoot vs clip for sausage & beer.

This study will answer questions vital to our future! If the Forum will deliver two cases of bottled beer, I will donate cases of sausage from a local well respected butcher shop. Bags of charcoal are waiting by the Weber! Testing and evaluation to begin tomorrow morning for breakfast. No lolly gagging here!

I'll sharpen my knives and fill the ice chest tonight!

In the words of Patrick Henry "my only regret is that I have but one stomach to give to the Forum!"

Thank you JSutter, for the sacrifice you are about to make for the country and forum I'll be nominating you for the American Spirit medal or whatever it is that Obama gives out. We all will be waiting anxiously for the results of your perilous mission. Oh by the way, you need to buy your own beer. Don't worry though, I'm available to assist in the consumption of the beer and sausage.

Twinkies and Beer? It's not exactly warm beer and cold pizza, but is an acceptable breakfast.

Back