The Case Barlow is BACK

Somehow, these proposed models don't look as good as they could/should

Shields seldom look right on a Barlow because of the long bolster and reduced scale slab, plus, CASE shields are not usually very interesting anyway. Get them off!

An attractive Barlow should have a stamped Bolster or ringed. CASE have excellent pedigree for bolsters see @Modoc ED who showed a very fine example.

I'd like as ground matte stainless for the blades, keeps down the glare and scratch factor:D

Handle suggestions: why not saw cut Yellow Delrin? Something different yet appealing, not costly.
Chestnut Bone Jigged and Smooth. Bermuda Green (dark) Smooth Bone, Bonestag (which they propose) Why not a wood option too? I hear Osage Orange is not expensive yet it's tough type. Like a lot of others, I'd applaud a true Red Bone but let's bite the bullet, CASE haven't done a decent Red this century and anything they offer would need a serious aftermarket dye bath to get it near tolerable.

It's good they've got the Barlow back in their range, a few clever tweaks and they could really issue a range of not too expensive and obtainable knives. Get it wrong and they might end up looking like a gaudy 'themed' run - not in good taste. :rolleyes:;)

Nice. Hope they do a red bone with "XX" stamped on the bolster. I HATE when Barlows have shields, and I HATE that the shields are not pinned, and I HATE the etch they went with on the bottom one.

I like that they're bringing it back and hope they do ones without the shield.

I'm in the opposite boat to a lot of yall... I'm wishing they'd update the design a little more and get rid of that asinine 4 mile long bolster. I love the overall shape, size and blades on the one and only Barlow I have... but hate the look of those dumb bolsters.

No doubt this will equal limited production (and high prices) aimed at the collector market segment. :(

I highly doubt it... They brought the Congress back this year, and they're doing that in lots of materials, and a couple blade arangements, with no limited runs(that I've seen anyway)..

I'm in the opposite boat to a lot of yall... I'm wishing they'd update the design a little more and get rid of that asinine 4 mile long bolster. I love the overall shape, size and blades on the one and only Barlow I have... but hate the look of those dumb bolsters.
Well, a Barlow without the long bolster is just a Barehead Jack. I like those too, but they are considered a different pattern. (I agree that Case should bring the Jack back, as well as the Barlow)
tEKAJUi.jpg

Now that I've seen a picture of an old case barehead jack, I'm not as happy about these as I was though I might still get one.

If they shortened the bolsters and called them a barehead jack would everyone be happy ?

I have a Case 6235.5 SS Barlow that has jigged Delrin with 8 dots. I forgot how their system works. Can anyone tell me what year it was made? And it does have an oval shield with Case on it.

I think these are pretty bad looking and agree with a lot of Will’s thoughts. I won’t buy any of Cases SS anyway so its already ruled out

If they shortened the bolsters and called them a barehead jack would everyone be happy ?
No.

;) Because everyone is never happy. ;)

This thread is about Case bringing back production of their Barlow Knife pattern. Speaking solely for myself, I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be making them in the classic style like they used to.

I have a Case 6235.5 SS Barlow that has jigged Delrin with 8 dots. I forgot how their system works. Can anyone tell me what year it was made? And it does have an oval shield with Case on it.
If the dots are at the bottom of the letters it's a 1972. If they are between the letters it's a 1982. Case stopped making the pattern in 1985. I have a couple of those but I don't think they are Barlows.

Here's an 8 dot 6235 from 1982:
IMG_4486.JPG
IMG_4471.JPG

Well, a Barlow without the long bolster is just a Barehead Jack. I like those too, but they are considered a different pattern. (I agree that Case should bring the Jack back, as well as the Barlow)
tEKAJUi.jpg

Now if you brought that back I wouldn’t think twice about picking a couple up!!!

No.

;) Because everyone is never happy. ;)

This thread is about Case bringing back production of their Barlow Knife pattern. Speaking solely for myself, I'm disappointed that they don't seem to be making them in the classic style like they used to.
I can definitely understand this, The Barlow is iconic and Case needs to do a better job with it.
Personally their barlows never come to mine when I think of a classic Barlow anyways.
They just kind of look proportionally off to me, like the frame should be a bit narrower for it's size.
It could just be how it appears in pictures, but I think the overall knife could be prefected.

There is a lot about the new ones that IMHO would make it more appealing to me , but the real truth is that I try to collect Barlows and since Case has not made one in a while , I want one , and ordered one , for my meager collection . Hopefully they will also make another run with other choices .

Harry

Back