The Case Barlow is BACK

I also don’t like a shield on a Barlow. I do think the one with the bolster stamp looks good and I like the spear blade on it. Like others, I would prefer it in cv steel. Maybe we’ll see some cv and other scales in the future or some “exclusives”/sfos from the bigger dealers like they’ve done with the teardrop and tribal spear.

It’s kind of funny I have one case Barlow from the mid seventies that I don’t carry a lot but I dropped it in my pocket this morning and then saw this thread. The one I have is a spear blade with sawcut delrin. Really nice knife with excellent fit and finish. Hopefully the new ones will be equally as nice.

So a US made barlow between $20 and $100. Not a tall order.

The sweet spot is perhaps about $60 for a good plain Jane user version. Realistically, they will probably need to sell them between $40-$80. Much over $80, and they are just making them for collectors who are more likely to spend a bit more and get GEC. Utica and Bear and Son have demonstrated that for under $40 you never can be quite sure what you will get (aka a Gump knife).

Fan of single clip barlows but will have to see one in person before purchasing. I like the classic shield on the top pic or no shield. Neither of the blue bone covers look enticing, a shame because blue makes a nice color for covers. The bolster stamp looks askew ... border is off center to the contents because of four letters in CASE and only three letters in USA. The star doesn't fix the centering, makes it worse to my eye. Halfstop obviously not flush, my guess is it has to be so far proud because the spring is otherwise weak. Why four pins in the covers? Two should be fine, three max if you really feel the need to secure the cover for rough use, but four is overkill and spoils the barlow look.
Thanks Chief now I don't want one but I mean that In a Good way. I got a lot of learning to do if I want to start collecting Tradionals and you brought up some points. Also Thank you for your service :thumbsup:

Do we know for sure that bolster is stamped and not laser etched? An etched bolster would be pretty lame and a no go for me. I’ve never seen that before, but looking at the pictures, I can’t see any depth in it like I can see in the shields. I hope it’s stamped.

What is the price going to be on these? People mentioning that it's too much but I've not been able to find these knives on the net to see what we're talking about.

The sweet spot is perhaps about $60 for a good plain Jane user version. Realistically, they will probably need to sell them between $40-$80. Much over $80, and they are just making them for collectors who are more likely to spend a bit more and get GEC. Utica and Bear and Son have demonstrated that for under $40 you never can be quite sure what you will get (aka a Gump knife).

I haven't had a Utica, and I've only had one (if I recall correctly) Bear and Son, but I don't think they offer much other than the "Made in U.S.A." stamp above Rough Rider (Ryder???). Of the several Rough Riders I've had, few have been worth less than the price I paid for them.

I'm in the opposite boat to a lot of yall... I'm wishing they'd update the design a little more and get rid of that asinine 4 mile long bolster. I love the overall shape, size and blades on the one and only Barlow I have... but hate the look of those dumb.
You do know , don't you, that the bolsters are largely what makes the knife a barlow?

This 1979 Case Barlow was the first knife I ever bought myself. I was brand spanking new. It's my only barlow remaining. Still have it. I doubt the new ones are any better so see no reason to get another. This is the knife that taught me to love delrin.

Case%2520Barlow%2520Open.jpg

I haven't had a Utica, and I've only had one (if I recall correctly) Bear and Son, but I don't think they offer much other than the "Made in U.S.A." stamp above Rough Rider (Ryder???). Of the several Rough Riders I've had, few have been worth less than the price I paid for them.

Your assessment of Bear and Son is spot on, I try one every few years, but they have yet to have consistent QC to make them worth recommending beyond the USA stamp.

The rounded bolster Rough Rider Barlow knife is very closely based on the design Utica/Kumaster has used for many years, but Rough Rider makes them on more up to date machinery with lower labor cost and higher QC than Utica can now muster for its slip joints. Older Utica slippies were great knives, the current ones not so much. Rough Rider make a very good user Barlow, although it is imported.

A Wright and Son make several variations of a decent working version of the Barlow knife for around $40-60 US, and this is often my choice of carry knife. Also an import but at least it is from Sheffield, using traditional methods of construction in the place that was the original source for importing the pattern.

It will be interesting to see how well Case does in producing their version of the knife. I look forward to sampling one.

Small technical question: Some of the new versions shown on pp. 1-2 have 2 large pins and 2 small, and the others have 4 small. Why? I'm guessing it has to do with the large pin versions having textured covers and the "all small" versions having smooth?

Andrew

Utica makes nice knives. They seem to have dropped the Barlow, though, except the ones in the promotional catalog, made in China.

Utica makes nice knives. They seem to have dropped the Barlow, though, except the ones in the promotional catalog, made in China.

Very true, the lock back knives they make and contract pieces they have made for Cat are generally very nice. The current Uitica Chinese Barlow knives are reproductions of shell handled knives. The traditional Catskill and Adirondack slip joints were still being made on and off until about a year ago, hard to tell if they have been discontinued on a permanent basis or if they are just between batches. Quite likely dropped, as you point out.

Last edited:
Well.. After reading thru all the posts I believe that some are thinking that this is a new venture in this configuration for CASE.. So far I have found this 3-4 pin, shield in handle going back to 1999.. The reason CASE put the Barlow in the Vault was lack of interest/sales.. Put it away for a few yrs and people clamor for it.. Wait a few more yrs and return it and the sales will sky rocket!! JMO!! They will flood the market with a zillion handles for the next few yrs until sales slow again. Look a the Backpocket, Swayback jack etc..:rolleyes:
John

Not sure about that, they vaulted the Barlow as the TC rocket took off so it seemed like ill judged planning actually. You have a point, they may flood the market with some kitsch tacky special editions or commemorative runs...but I disagree about the SBJ to an extent-they removed THE best one the Chestnut Bone cv. Still in mourning for letting go of mine- just assumed as it was popular they would keep making them. CASE moves in mysterious ways, often :D

Not sure about that, they vaulted the Barlow as the TC rocket took off so it seemed like ill judged planning actually. You have a point, they may flood the market with some kitsch tacky special editions or commemorative runs...but I disagree about the SBJ to an extent-they removed THE best one the Chestnut Bone cv. Still in mourning for letting go of mine- just assumed as it was popular they would keep making them. CASE moves in mysterious ways, often :D
Yeah, that's for sure. Love my Case knives--the ones I've bought for myself and family. But can't stand to see pocket clips on trappers, like they're making now! Also, thumb studs. Seems like they sell enough without having to resort to that.

The reason CASE put the Barlow in the Vault was lack of interest/sales.. Put it away for a few yrs and people clamor for it.. Wait a few more yrs and return it and the sales will sky rocket!! JMO!!

Creating artificial scarcity can be double edged, however. A lot of potential buyers found a satisfying alternative during the years that production is not occurring. Currently higher end collectors have migrated to GEC, while many who use the pattern are often satisfied with Rough Rider and other imports. Hopefully increased competition at both ends will result in a higher quality American made Barlow at a reasonable cost.

Very true, the lock back knives they make and contract pieces they have made for Cat are generally very nice. The current Uitica Chinese Barlow knives are reproductions of shell handled knives. The traditional Catskill and Adirondack slip joints were still being made on and off until about a year ago, hard to tell if they have been discontinued on a permanent basis or if they are just between batches. Quite likely dropped, as you point out.
Last I looked, they were still doing a few knives (coffin jack, trapper, and a regular stockman maybe) in Catskill, Big Pine, and Adirondack, with the Adirondack being described as 1095 now. Buckstag was still a heading, but had nothing under it.
You can't always believe their catalog, though. Their cutter-and-paster has been known to mess up. I'd hate to see them close down their native traditionals entirely, but they'll do what they have to do.

Why does Case keep missing the boat???
They keep making "horses by committee", (camels:eek:)
They could rule the Barlow world, if they only had a designer who really understood the "essence of Barlow"!
Maybe I should be careful of what I wish for!!:rolleyes:

Why does Case keep missing the boat???
They keep making "horses by committee", (camels:eek:)
They could rule the Barlow world, if they only had a designer who really understood the "essence of Barlow"!
Maybe I should be careful of what I wish for!!:rolleyes:
Well, I think I'll get my first Barlow from Sheffield. What better place? GEC is an alternative, though.

Vote with your wallet. Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em. Want to tell Zippo how to run their pocket knife brand? Call 'em or mail 'em. I'm sure they'd value your opinions. https://caseknives.com/pages/contact-us

This thread made me get out my 2010 Second Cut Antique Bone Barlow that had at one time been a grail knife for me (shield and all). I think I'll carry it a bit in appreciation. Great walk and talk, sturdy build, stainless steel blades, fits in a watch pocket.

Back