The fall of Emerson Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t disagree with it either, but I guarantee a lot of people do.

My issue with him similar to the Kershaw collaborations (made in China), Ernie is disingenuous with his words versus his actions. He’s written more than once in ways that are definitely xenophobic and Islamophobic, promoted Crusader imagery etc and then goes and makes knives in China and writes about equality and the like.

Flat out slander. :thumbsdown:

Making gratuitous and fallacious assertions publicly is bad policy. This is a knife discussion forum - keep your political views out of here.

I don’t disagree with it either, but I guarantee a lot of people do.

My issue with him similar to the Kershaw collaborations (made in China), Ernie is disingenuous with his words versus his actions. He’s written more than once in ways that are definitely xenophobic and Islamophobic, promoted Crusader imagery etc and then goes and makes knives in China and writes about equality and the like.

Wrong, you may disagree with his views, but you are twisting it to fit your agenda in a pretty sickening way. Keep the political bs out of here.

Ptoblem for you is the guy is pretty prolific in his communicating his beliefs, so one only needs to access his lengthy and historical discussions to see that.

Flat out slander. :thumbsdown:

Making gratuitous and fallacious assertions publicly is bad policy. This is a knife discussion forum - keep your political views out of here.

No it’s spot on accurate and a fact that Emerson licensed knives are made in China and it doesn’t take much to see how it is hypocritical for someone to loudly tout American exceptionalism while personally profiting from outsourced production by our primary economic and geopolitical rival.

Calling out someone’s actions isn’t slander, you use that word a lot and don’t seem to know what it means.

No it’s spot on accurate and a fact that Emerson licensed knives are made in China and it doesn’t take much to see how it is hypocritical for someone to loudly tout American exceptionalism while personally profiting from outsourced production by our primary economic and geopolitical rival.

Calling out someone’s actions isn’t slander, you use that word a lot and don’t seem to know what it means.

Take...... yo...... politics........ out........ of.......... here...........reported.

Kershaw bought designs from Emerson and somehow think you found a link to American exceptionally, racism, bigotry, ect..... Wow. Its all a conspiracy.

Take...... yo...... politics........ out........ of.......... here...........reported.

Kershaw bought designs from Emerson and somehow think you found a link to American exceptionally, racism, bigotry, ect..... Wow. Its all a conspiracy.

They licensed not bought, as in paid royalties for the usage of the IP... and pointing out a country of manufacture isn’t politics.

They licensed not bought, as in paid royalties for the usage of the IP... and pointing out a country of manufacture isn’t politics.

Or, you could see what actually happened from the guy himself:

https://emersonknives.com/blog/ernest-emerson-kershaw/

Talks about partnering with ZT also. How dare he?!?!?! Come on, getting designs into more of the publics hands is the job of a knife maker, literally. Doesn't make him all the derogatory things you said about him though.

In what way is this on topic? I know exactly what it means thank you very much. I was respectful in my response to you, and refrained from personally characterizing you. Please do likewise. It appears bigoted to stereotype groups of people, such as, say, fans of any particular manufacturer.;)

Imho, Emerson has been quite consistent. They've always been decent knives, made of average material, at a bit of a high price. If they cost a bit less I think they'd be the perfect knife for those who use their knives in less than ideal conditions, for less than ideal purposes. I think Ernie has really nailed that corner of the market. Those who appreciate his knives for what they are seem just as enthusiastic about them as they always have been. I know they are still very popular with military due to the abuse they take.

Emerson is doing just fine and will continue to do so. I was a big fan for a long time, still am. I enjoyed mine while I had them, but I’ve since moved them on. They still have some of the finest blade finishes and grinds I’ve ever seen.

I should have hopped on that Elvia preorder while I had a chance. Oh well.

I am on my 3rd Emerson now. A CQC-15 that I recently bought here on the forums. I originally bought it for a get home bag but like it so much I have been EDC-ing it.
All 3 Emersons I have have had, as well of those that my friends own, have all had good fit and finish.
For me, the handle designs are great, I could personally live without the wave feature but most people I talk to buy them because of that feature.
I plan to pick up a Kwaiken next.

I just never have been able to get into the Emerson Wave opening method. Looks like a pocket/pants shredding nightmare, and I hate the look of the Wave "horn" sticking out. Couldn't get past it even though I otherwise liked the Kwaiken and Seax.

Backspacers absolutely can be interchanged. The move to standoffs was to reduce manufacturing steps and to simplify later repairs. A standoff can easily be replaced by the customer, whereas a stripped/damaged liner (especially the spring side) is a send in warranty issue. For the record, I prefer (and only own) old school backspacer Emersons.
I am guessing he means not interchangeable between models. One thickness of standoff likely fits every Emerson knife, can be mass produced and used across the line, saving $$. The backspacers are unique to each model so that is many more unique items to manufacture and inventory vs. just one size standoff.

Well I personally like Emerson knives. I have owned probably 5 different models and have enjoyed them all without issue. Its a well built solid and reliable knife. They are my normal go to knife if I'm working in the yard, pruning fruit tree limbs, cutting carpet or matting etc. I wouldn't agree that Emerson has "fallen". I agree the price could be a bit lower, but we buy what we like and to me they are worth every dime. Just my opinion of course.

I bought my first Emerson in 2016 -- very wary of all the negatives I kept reading about them, but wanting to see for myself. I've bought another six since then (one currently in the mail), and I've never owned another knife that quite captures the feel of an Emerson.

I've used and enjoyed them all and found them to be reliable, dependable, and aesthetically pleasing. I bought one used that needed a bit of warranty work, and their process was personal, quick, and produced perfect results.

I totally get why some folks don't like them. Priced solely based on their raw materials and level of "polish," several other companies definitely offer more knife for the money. But as tools with excellent ergonomics, designs, grinds, and functionality, which are easy to disassemble for maintenance, I love them. :thumbsup:

36hOEMZ.jpg

I am guessing he means not interchangeable between models. One thickness of standoff likely fits every Emerson knife, can be mass produced and used across the line, saving $$. The backspacers are unique to each model so that is many more unique items to manufacture and inventory vs. just one size standoff.

Yes this is what I meant. G10 backspaces block from CQC7 is not going to fit in a commander, etc.

I love Emerson Designs and I always will. I just wish they would get with the times and start using some S35VN or something. Stop using titanium liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back