The Future of the SK Series

They way I read it, that phase will be pretty much outsourced with the exception of the design being that of Guy's and his final say in the QC aspect.

I hope Guy has seen the movie Frozen and is able to take the message to heart so he can really let it go and give up a little control of the SK line.

When I read Ellie's post I pictures a bunch of bros on grinders in the S! shop, but outsourcing to an established place makes total sense.

I hope Guy has seen the movie Frozen and is able to take the message to heart so he can really let it go and give up a little control of the SK line.

When I read Ellie's post I pictures a bunch of bros on grinders in the S! shop, but outsourcing to an established place makes total sense.

... seems like it would free up more time for for the GSOs as well as the other '"custom" ideas... Who knows if one of those custom ideas is a hit, could kick the design over to the SK line... while still being able to hold onto the "custom" label on the GSO side ..

I think that this is a smart move on Guy's part. Andy Roy did a similar thing at Fiddleback Forge. I own about 85 Fiddlebacks, and none are Andy's production line of knives. Similarly, I doubt that I will ever own an SK. But I am anxious to own more GSOs.

Bumping this thread because we are now some months since Ellie started it, and I am sure some folk are curious if anything has moved on this.

I can only speculate but I've spoken with them about SKs over the past year. Aside from the "less Guy" aspect that I just don't believe, Guy is too OCD and his "$h!t ain't goin' out unless it right" motto is too much a part of him to not be 100% involved, so I believe it'll be a less expensive steel with very limited and basic handle options. Meaning black, green or brown in canvas micarta handles only. I also believe it'll be limited to a few knives like the 4.7, 5.1 and or maybe the 4.1. I've been begging them to put out a CFV 5.1 as the SK but that's not going to happen. That steel is too inconstant and expensive to do in the size runs he does. Hopefully he gets another batch of s7 steel or something similar. Again I am just giving you my opinion because I don't believe Guy and Ellie know either.

A less expensive steel that warps during heat treatment is no bargain.
There are still a lot of steel choices out there, but if you want to go with something distinctive to your brand that limits the options a lot.

That's too bad about the extra work for the Cruforge V. I'd be good with an sk line all in CPM 154 and black canvas though.

That's too bad about the extra work for the Cruforge V. I'd be good with an sk line all in CPM 154 and black canvas though.

CPM 154 is not a bad steel at all. I always prefer carbon steel to stainless anymore, and I don't like coatings and they add to the cost, although I have some. So CPM 154 might be the right tradeoff.

Everybody seems to love an alloy with a bit of vanadium so why not try CTS-B75P?
I have a kitchen knife in this alloy and I like it a lot.
BG42 was the cat's meow right after 154CM was the alloy of choice, so the powder version ought to be that much better.

Hey Survive nuts! The OP was back in July of 2016.
I ordered a GSO 2.7 1st in that same July of 2016 that was going to ship in a "couple months".

I called on November 7, 2016 to inquire when my 2.7 would actually ship. I was told "it should ship in a couple weeks".

I called last week and asked again and was told, "it should ship next week". I just checked my email and guess what? No shipping notice.

I'll be the first to admit I'd buy several more S!K knives off the shelf and the SK line sounds like a great idea, depending on the steel they use.

But, and I hate be the bucket of water thrown on this parade, I doubt you'll see any SK's before 2018. And, they never said they were outsourcing which could possibly be great. They said other people would be fitting and sharpening.

Where are we on the current production schedule right now?

Where are we on the current production schedule right now?

http://surviveknives.com/production-schedule/

In the Finishing Stages:
(In the SURVIVE! Workshop: being finished, sharpened, built, and packed up)

GSO-4.7: Existing orders are being worked on.
GSO-4.7 Cru Forge V: Being sharpened, shipping soon!
GSO-2.7: Remaining preorders are being built and sharpened. Presale orders will be shipping immediately after preorders.
GSO-4.1: These will be starting to ship in larger batches after the GSO-2.7 orders have been fulfilled.
GSO-7/7: Blades are at the SURVIVE! Workshop
Remaining blades, Factory 2nds and Ugly Betty knives will be made available as part of our Wednesday Sales, as we come across them while working on fulfilling existing preorders. These Wednesday orders ship within 90 days.

***Please note: There is a lot going on in the SURVIVE! Workshop these days. We are doing our best to get through existing preorders, but it will take several weeks from when preorders for a particular model start shipping out, until they are all fulfilled.***

and this was in my First-Friday e-mail:

Current Production:

Most GSO-2.7 Preorders have shipped, the few that remain are being finished up over this weekend. Presale orders will be shipping out over the next few weeks.

GSO-4.1 Preorders are being finished out, shipping notices coming soon!

We will be working on the GSO-7/7 Preorders alongside GSO-4.1 orders.

GSO-4 Limited blades are in our workshop, where Guy is doing any necessary hand grinding before they head to heat treating.

The GSO-3.5 is at production grinding.

The SURVIVE! Workshop is also working on Weekly Sales and "90 Day" GSO-4.7 orders. We will be fulfilling those in the order that they are due.

I'd also like to see the SK line in CPM154 :)

I wonder if Peters HT optimised the 4.7 batch in any way

Back