The Future of the SK Series

But, and I hate be the bucket of water thrown on this parade, I doubt you'll see any SK's before 2018. And, they never said they were outsourcing which could possibly be great. They said other people would be fitting and sharpening.

Where are we on the current production schedule right now?

Either months or years behind schedule. Hard to keep track at this point.

In the computer world, where I ply my trade, it's called "vaporware"; something constantly promised, yet never materializes. Seems to be SK's motto. With all the other options available I don't understand why anyone keeps holding out hope that these folks will ever get it right. Their history shows they missed the boat, fell into the water and drowned. They squandered their opportunity. It's unfortunate really. All the momentum, all the goodwill, gone.

Either months or years behind schedule. Hard to keep track at this point.

In the computer world, where I ply my trade, it's called "vaporware"; something constantly promised, yet never materializes. Seems to be SK's motto. With all the other options available I don't understand why anyone keeps holding out hope that these folks will ever get it right. Their history shows they missed the boat, fell into the water and drowned. They squandered their opportunity. It's unfortunate really. All the momentum, all the goodwill, gone.
Meanwhile, over here on the sunny side of the street... I still maintain hope and goodwill, and my knives always materialize, and I'm never disappointed when they do. If I didn't have another single knife I could maybe see getting all antsy about delivery times, but c'mon! It's not like shtuff ain't getting cut around here... I like the idea of the SK line, but I would probably prefer to patiently wait for the GSO perfection. Glad it is a possible option for those that want more immediate gratification.

I love everything about my GSOs, but I'd definitely be interesting in owning some from the SK line. The big question that would really make the SK line good or great would be the steel offered. It's already been brought up for good reason.

154CM would work for me!

I love everything about my GSOs, but I'd definitely be interesting in owning some from the SK line. The big question that would really make the SK line good or great would be the steel offered. It's already been brought up for good reason.

154CM would work for me!
same here 👍

Meanwhile, over here on the sunny side of the street... I still maintain hope and goodwill, and my knives always materialize, and I'm never disappointed when they do. If I didn't have another single knife I could maybe see getting all antsy about delivery times, but c'mon! It's not like shtuff ain't getting cut around here... I like the idea of the SK line, but I would probably prefer to patiently wait for the GSO perfection. Glad it is a possible option for those that want more immediate gratification.

154CM would work for me!

+1!!!!

My 2.7 arrived today, ordered 8/14/15, on the last day of preorders.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This has been a common question lately so I'll just come out and say it: as of right this moment, we are probably going to do the SK Series in CPM-3V. It has a proven track record, is readily available, and we will be able to reduce the cost by ordering a lot of it. The plan with the SK Series is to continue using top quality materials to make a reliable tool. The difference will be in the overall fit and finish. We will be sure to let folks know when these are closer to being available. It will still be some time though, we have plenty keeping us busy right now.

I like the idea of the SK line, but I would probably prefer to patiently wait for the GSO perfection. Glad it is a possible option for those that want more immediate gratification.

Define "immediate gratification". Less than 1 year of wait time and 7 missed deadlines?

3v is a great choice !

Right on. If it's not that cost prohibitive, d3v is a tried and true steel. Guy just said in the latest youtube update that factory seconds only come with black sheaths. Selling uncoated d3v SK models with only one sheath and handle option would mean there's no messing around with various order configurations. Customers order "the" SK model and it gets shipped right away. It sounds pretty wise to wait on this SK line until production is caught up and they can have them sharpened and built and ready.

This has been a common question lately so I'll just come out and say it: as of right this moment, we are probably going to do the SK Series in CPM-3V. It has a proven track record, is readily available, and we will be able to reduce the cost by ordering a lot of it. The plan with the SK Series is to continue using top quality materials to make a reliable tool. The difference will be in the overall fit and finish. We will be sure to let folks know when these are closer to being available. It will still be some time though, we have plenty keeping us busy right now.

That makes so much sense. Go with what you know. Thanks Ellie!

Can't go wrong with that choice (CPM3V) and can see how ordering a higher qty can drive the cost down but if the prominent steel is basically staying the same as most of the current options are (and not a cheaper option such as O1, etc.) is it just the fit/finish process/standard that would be slightly tweaked (although it's hard to see Guy's expectations being much less) or most likely as some might have mentioned just less options in handle/sheath variations, etc.? Can't imagine a much different heat treat protocol. Just more/less a curiosity how the availability of this SK line would be increased in this manner.

Can't go wrong with that choice (CPM3V) and can see how ordering a higher qty can drive the cost down but if the prominent steel is basically staying the same as most of the current options are (and not a cheaper option such as O1, etc.) is it just the fit/finish process/standard that would be slightly tweaked (although it's hard to see Guy's expectations being much less) or most likely as some might have mentioned just less options in handle/sheath variations, etc.? Can't imagine a much different heat treat protocol. Just more/less a curiosity how the availability of this SK line would be increased in this manner.

I'm thinking that Ellie will get in touch with the local fire department and request the use of their hydraulic rescue tool to pry Guy's grip from the ownership of sharpening the SK line. If someone else finishes the knives in house or outsourced, Guy can keep rocking the GSOs while the SKs get finished simultaneously.

That's my best guess.

Back