The "hall of meat"... (Graphic Injury Pics)

These are pics from two years ago when my wife had a bad incident with a cheap bait knife -- you know, the ones they sell for $2 at a big box store -- that sliced into the back of her left hand and severed the tendons to her fore and middle fingers. We wound up in the ER that night and she had emergency hand surgery the next day, followed by a long recovery and extensive hand therapy at the St. Joseph's Hand Gym. The pics start the night of her injury in the ER with the brutal slice , and end with with graduation day at Hand Gym (complete with a hat and tassel I made for her hand). Look if you want, BUT BE WARNED IT'S NOT PRETTY.

My wife was a champ through it all, and went from her two fingers literally drooping and hanging to regaining full use of her hand with nothing more than a thick scar as a reminder. She's tough stuff, and worked extremely hard to make sure her injuries wouldn't be permanent. Needless to say, she's a bit shy around knives now and understandably so, and leaves the cutting to me.

Resampled_2013-05-05_23-28-27_553_zpstdam4yxi.jpg

Resampled_PART_1367806757041_zpsirdzhik5.jpeg

1459324_10151770310305945_93483984_n_zpsz9g7t15t.jpg

1012481_10151770314970945_1919900953_n_zpsha6sxbs6.jpg

1000533_10151503716585945_82430881_n_zpsryuupr1n.jpg

These are pics from two years ago when my wife had a bad incident with a cheap bait knife -- you know, the ones they sell for $2 at a big box store -- that sliced into the back of her left hand and severed the tendons to her fore and middle fingers. We wound up in the ER that night and she had emergency hand surgery the next day, followed by a long recovery and extensive hand therapy at the St. Joseph's Hand Gym. The pics start the night of her injury in the ER with the brutal slice , and end with with graduation day at Hand Gym (complete with a hat and tassel I made for her hand). Look if you want, BUT BE WARNED IT'S NOT PRETTY.

My wife was a champ through it all, and went from her two fingers literally drooping and hanging to regaining full use of her hand with nothing more than a thick scar as a reminder. She's tough stuff, and worked extremely hard to make sure her injuries wouldn't be permanent. Needless to say, she's a bit shy around knives now and understandably so, and leaves the cutting to me.

Resampled_2013-05-05_23-28-27_553_zpstdam4yxi.jpg

Resampled_PART_1367806757041_zpsirdzhik5.jpeg

1459324_10151770310305945_93483984_n_zpsz9g7t15t.jpg

1012481_10151770314970945_1919900953_n_zpsha6sxbs6.jpg

1000533_10151503716585945_82430881_n_zpsryuupr1n.jpg

Wow! I couldn't imagine the thought of losing use of my fingers, since I play guitar. I'd be crushed!

I'm careful with my knives, but this is just a reminder on how easily your life could be changed from a simple accident...

Congrats to your wife for being a trooper:thumbup:

When we got to the ER, they asked her to move those two fingers and she couldn't. When they picked her hand up to look at it, the two fingers just hung there and there was nothing she could do to make them move, despite her brain telling them to do so. It was weird to watch her move the three good fingers while those two fingers just hung there.

That cheap $2 bait knife belongs in my daughter's tackle box and oddly enough, it's one of the sharpest knives I've seen. We have a very healthy respect for knives around my house, and I'll see if I can dig up pics and post my little accident I had four years ago, though it does not compare to my wife's hand.

I think we have a winner ^^^^

2Panther

Nobody clicked my link on the last page, lol. :D :D

Smashed my right, index-finger in a log splitter a few years ago. Looks 'normal' now, but I think it's why I can't seem to love the compression lock, or flippers. There's a little feeling in it these days, but it's still pretty numb. Not sure if I should post a picture, lol. There is definitely bone sticking out, haha.

Here's a link instead of the photo. Forewarning - it's a little more 'graphic' than other pics in this thread. ;)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3157/2874476552_555b2ef45e_o.jpg

It looks normal enough now, but it still feels mostly numb.

EDIT - someone always asks, but no it isn't 'shorter' or anything. Lol, it magically came back to life.
17343128234_93751196b0_z.jpg

But I think it explains my distain for flippers, and the compression lock could have a bit more purchase for my dopey finger. Lol.

Oh, sorry. :D I'll just keep a link to that first picture. That was actually 10 days after it even happened. The ER doc was a bit negligent… Could have gotten very infected.

You can see the scar on the palm of my hand - where they grabbed fresh skin. But I was stuck like this for 10 days...

After the 10 days, they cut 'er loose. :D

I snapped them all with my phone sitting in the doc chair. Haha.

Every time I open one of these threads, I know I'm going to regret it...

riceboy72 & vanslem6

nope.gif

hurl_cam.gif

Amazing how fast these things we fancy can mess up your world, and the amount of damage they do from just a tap against your hand.

Amazing how fast these things we fancy can mess up your world, and the amount of damage they do from just a tap against your hand.

ROFL you ain't kidding!

Here's my contribution to this thread. This happened just over a month ago;

WP_002437_zpsrlcsyxzo.jpg

Last winter I was splitting some firewood in my living room (due to the -30F weather) and while attempting to push my hatchet through a partially split log...all of a sudden it broke through and the corner caught my knee. My wife is pretty good at driving to the hospital!

WOWjKOc.jpg

uKdMEMz.jpg

Cold Steel puts a good edge on their knives, just FYI.

Solution: Pose for pictures, apply superglue, eschew the hospital because they would just superglue it and then charge me a million billion dollars.

Less than a month later:

Oh, sorry. :D I'll just keep a link to that first picture. That was actually 10 days after it even happened. The ER doc was a bit negligent… Could have gotten very infected.

You can see the scar on the palm of my hand - where they grabbed fresh skin. But I was stuck like this for 10 days...

After the 10 days, they cut 'er loose. :D

I snapped them all with my phone sitting in the doc chair. Haha.

I did much the same to my thumb with a meat slicer at work when I was 16 though I was able to grab the end that I cut off. The issue was my work didn't want to call an ambulance so they called my folks and but the time my folks got there and go me to the hospital the end had died and couldn't be reattached so the just hollowed it out and sewed it for protection.

Here's a new addition for the Hall...
Last weekend my best bud and his wife spent the night. We were all in the living room watching the movie "Fury" (pretty good flick BTW). All the lights were off and it was pitch black except for the glow of the TV...
I got the urge to work on a hangnail that had been bothering me lately. I felt my knife slip, then bite. I felt a warm pool collecting in my hand.
I told my friend "I think I might've nicked myself". He looked and said "that's a lot of blood brother, I can see it in the dark! Let's go check it out."
We went in the kitchen and sure enough I had got the hangnail, and a chunk of my finger. He asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and of course I turned it down.
I just told him "nah, don't worry about it.", flipped my knife shut, and wrapped a washcloth around the cut.
He asked me if I was going to clean my knife off and I said "nah, it'll leave a nice patina".
I flicked my blade out the next day and this is how it looked:

Yes, that IS a chunk of my finger:

:eek: be careful using those blades in the dark guys.

It is suggested you give that knife a bath in hydrogen peroxide so as not to make it appear you have a little Norman Bates in you.

Back