The humble little pen knife

Well, I searched for "pen knife" on the DLT website, and it brought up Case Peanuts also, so here are a few of mine. The two carribean blue Peanuts are for a graduation gift to our oldest grandchild. Started a new tradition, each grandchild gets a Peanut at graduation, and grandpa gets a duplicate for the collection. ;)

G8ZK6y1.jpg

LE2qE3G.jpg

Well, I searched for "pen knife" on the DLT website, and it brought up Case Peanuts also, so here are a few of mine. The two carribean blue Peanuts are for a graduation gift to our oldest grandchild. Started a new tradition, each grandchild gets a Peanut at graduation, and grandpa gets a duplicate for the collection. ;)

G8ZK6y1.jpg

LE2qE3G.jpg

Great pattern, and a fine tradition Steve, but Peanuts are small Serpentine Jack knives :) :thumbsup:

Jack, ah, my bad....

No worries Steve, when I was a youngster, we called all small knives 'penknives' :) If you ever get a chance to pick up a copy, the Blades Guide to Knives & Their Values series are a great primer on pocket knife patterns. I'm afraid I don't have a link, but I think you can read at least one edition free online at Google Books, and while Bernard Levine's 4th edition is the best, the other, less expensive, editions, are equally good in terms of pattern descriptions :thumbsup:

I got my first schrade 752 in the box o knives gaw here on the forum and it was an old advertising knife from the old mill in the town next to where i grew up. I have spent many days running around the old mill buildings and properties. Since i have started a bit of a collection. Notice the slight differences, the swedge on the main blade. I hope this qualifys as a pen, its about 3 3/8 but very slim and. Great little knife. 20201124_193206_copy_756x1008.jpg 20201124_193125_copy_756x1008.jpg

I got my first schrade 752 in the box o knives gaw here on the forum and it was an old advertising knife from the old mill in the town next to where i grew up. I have spent many days running around the old mill buildings and properties. Since i have started a bit of a collection. Notice the slight differences, the swedge on the main blade. I hope this qualifys as a pen, its about 3 3/8 but very slim and. Great little knife. View attachment 1461645 View attachment 1461647

Those are special knives :) The main reason that I collect the Sheffield Ruler Knives is that they are usually made using Chesterman rulers, and several members of my family, including my grandmother and great grandmother, worked at the factory, which was close to where I grew up :thumbsup:

zUT3TwY.jpg

qMMBv4d.jpg

My dad worked for Richards of Sheffield when I was a kid :thumbsup:

QcTCf3z.jpg

i9Q1c4l.jpg

dmIzChP.jpg

hQgC804.jpg

6Ak329i.jpg

Those are special knives :) The main reason that I collect the Sheffield Ruler Knives is that they are usually made using Chesterman rulers, and several members of my family, including my grandmother and great grandmother, worked at the factory, which was close to where I grew up :thumbsup:

zUT3TwY.jpg

qMMBv4d.jpg

My dad worked for Richards of Sheffield when I was a kid :thumbsup:

QcTCf3z.jpg

i9Q1c4l.jpg

dmIzChP.jpg

hQgC804.jpg

6Ak329i.jpg
Those ruler knives seem to be quite collectable, seen them advertised for high prices.
Love the new in box Richards, you have other new in box stuff I've seen iirc?

Those ruler knives seem to be quite collectable, seen them advertised for high prices.
Love the new in box Richards, you have other new in box stuff I've seen iirc?

I'd expect that Stan Shaw Ruler Knife to be on the pricey side! :D ;) Thanks, I have a few, including some I've already posted here, but they wouldn't all fit in this thread. Here's an interesting Penknife by TEW, with one stainless blade and one in carbon :thumbsup:

Xme5Xht.jpg

I'd expect that Stan Shaw Ruler Knife to be on the pricey side! :D ;) Thanks, I have a few, including some I've already posted here, but they wouldn't all fit in this thread. Here's an interesting Penknife by TEW, with one stainless blade and one in carbon :thumbsup:

Xme5Xht.jpg
Isint it funny to see nylon being (rightly) praised for traits we take for granted today. Anytime I drop a horn/stag handle knife on a hard floor surface I wince in expectation...
What's the dealio with the carbon and stainless blades? Stainless for food/fruit and carbon for good old utility and ease of sharpening?

Here is a weird example of a ruled fruit blade from Needham
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/729...ing&ref=sr_gallery-1-7&organic_search_click=1
Saucy money!

Can I ask you a question regarding quality in the Sheffield cutlery market of yester year? The following is an amateur perspectives and from a general pov...
I have Taylor Eye Witness examples which seem a touch utilitarian but with stout build.
Examples from Richards seem budget but bang for buck.
Wostenholm seem a step above both?
But Turner, G Butler, Lockwood Bros and Needham pieces seem on a different level. I know I'm not comparing like with like as there is decades in manufacturing knowledge and techniques between some of these but taking the G Butler splitback whittler and comparing it to my hairy arsed eye witness and its obvious there is a different company mindset at play.
Jack, who do rate or prefer and why and quality wise which Cutker do you consistently see best work from?

Back