The Ironwood Thread

Can anybody comment if it changes over time? Gets dark? Osage Orange certainly changes when exposed to daylight, same for Ironwood?

Isn't that true of all woods to some extent? I don't know, but I just kind of assumed it.

Probably, although furniture such as Walnut & Mahoghany certainly fade and lighten in sunlight.
Osage Orange shows quite a marked contrast in colour, from yellow gold to ochre terracotta colour. I think Purpleheart wood also rapidly changes colour.

Probably, although furniture such as Walnut & Mahoghany certainly fade and lighten in sunlight.
Osage Orange shows quite a marked contrast in colour, from yellow gold to ochre terracotta colour. I think Purpleheart wood also rapidly changes colour.

I've had a few ironwood scaled knives and haven't noticed any significant changes, but they didn't see a lot of sunshine, being kept in a knife roll when they weren't in my pocket.

Can anybody comment if it changes over time? Gets dark? Osage Orange certainly changes when exposed to daylight, same for Ironwood?

I have had an ironwood scale turn significantly darker over time. It was the side against me on a knife that I carried IWB. Porosity does not indicate propensity to darken. It is frequently due to UV exposure, in addition to exposure to moisture, oils, etc. If my information is correct, osage darkens from UV exposure.

That being said, I do not think desert ironwood darkens significantly from UV exposure. For example, I have pieces of desert ironwood and cocobolo in my bedroom that have been exposed to the same light for years. The cocobolo has changed from rich bright red to almost black, but the ironwood looks the same as the day I got it. So if you are careful to keep it from regular moisture/oil contact, it probably won't change much.

Newest ironwood addition :D

20190524_132518.jpg

20190524_132539.jpg

SmartSelect_20190524-132950_Gallery.gif

~Chip

Some of ya will remember the large block of iron wood I got for handles:

P5FHr5u.jpg

c7QKzFb.jpg

I was excited to see what was inside cause ya just never know. I was talking with OG bout a project and he asked me to describe the grain inside this block. Best I could come up with was twisted feathers. Here's the first few made from this block.

gmSEUKR.jpg

QOPQt33.jpg

7YavOFk.jpg

xIowHDM.jpg

The customer that ordered this Castrator specified "dark" ironwood. Think we got that done on this one. From my firewood stash. In the sun the lighter areas just glow.

4kf5drK.jpg

sLxyAg3.jpg

Some of ya will remember the large block of iron wood I got for handles:

P5FHr5u.jpg

c7QKzFb.jpg

I was excited to see what was inside cause ya just never know. I was talking with OG bout a project and he asked me to describe the grain inside this block. Best I could come up with was twisted feathers. Here's the first few made from this block.

gmSEUKR.jpg

QOPQt33.jpg

7YavOFk.jpg

xIowHDM.jpg

The customer that ordered this Castrator specified "dark" ironwood. Think we got that done on this one. From my firewood stash. In the sun the lighter areas just glow.

4kf5drK.jpg

sLxyAg3.jpg
YEAH, man!! That's the ticket! Lookin' GOOD!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :D :cool:
Do it :thumbsup:
OG

I received this yesterday from Horsewright Horsewright .
Dave says this is the only damascus El Toro he has ever done and this sucker is muy SHARP :)
IMHO the ironwood he selected for me is absolutely outstanding :thumbsup:. Glows like velvet!
I couldn't be happier with this beautiful example of his extraordinary craftsmanship.
Thanks Dave - you da' man!
OG
AV6RuHe.jpg

I received this yesterday from Horsewright Horsewright .
Dave says this is the only damascus El Toro he has ever done and this sucker is muy SHARP :)
IMHO the ironwood he selected for me is absolutely outstanding :thumbsup:. Glows like velvet!
I couldn't be happier with this beautiful example of his extraordinary craftsmanship.
Thanks Dave - you da' man!
OG
AV6RuHe.jpg

Thank you sir for the kind words! That knife is handled in the last scales from that big block up in post #88.

For another BF member here on the porch I recently finished the only Scandinavian Dadley I've ever done. This knife is heading to Sweden right now. It's scales were cut from a different block of wood.

vVj3lWY.jpg

bYqjaRp.jpg

uDBWWf5.jpg

Back