1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The Ironwood Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Pàdruig, Apr 15, 2019.

1. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Isn't that true of all woods to some extent? I don't know, but I just kind of assumed it.

JohnDF likes this.
  2. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Probably, although furniture such as Walnut & Mahoghany certainly fade and lighten in sunlight.
    Osage Orange shows quite a marked contrast in colour, from yellow gold to ochre terracotta colour. I think Purpleheart wood also rapidly changes colour.

3. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I've had a few ironwood scaled knives and haven't noticed any significant changes, but they didn't see a lot of sunshine, being kept in a knife roll when they weren't in my pocket.

4. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I don't think ironwood is as porous as some of the other woods, so won't darken nearly as much.

Will Power likes this.
  5. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I have had an ironwood scale turn significantly darker over time. It was the side against me on a knife that I carried IWB. Porosity does not indicate propensity to darken. It is frequently due to UV exposure, in addition to exposure to moisture, oils, etc. If my information is correct, osage darkens from UV exposure.

That being said, I do not think desert ironwood darkens significantly from UV exposure. For example, I have pieces of desert ironwood and cocobolo in my bedroom that have been exposed to the same light for years. The cocobolo has changed from rich bright red to almost black, but the ironwood looks the same as the day I got it. So if you are careful to keep it from regular moisture/oil contact, it probably won't change much.

6. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    both.jpg js1.jpg js2.jpg

dman62, waynorth, edbeau and 7 others like this.
  7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Newest ironwood addition :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~Chip

waynorth, edbeau, Pàdruig and 6 others like this.
  8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Some of ya will remember the large block of iron wood I got for handles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was excited to see what was inside cause ya just never know. I was talking with OG bout a project and he asked me to describe the grain inside this block. Best I could come up with was twisted feathers. Here's the first few made from this block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The customer that ordered this Castrator specified "dark" ironwood. Think we got that done on this one. From my firewood stash. In the sun the lighter areas just glow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eli Chaps, WolfyW, jakemex and 10 others like this.
  9. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Here's a Murray Carter neck knife in Ironwood (for sale in the exchange)

[​IMG]

OLd_gUY and JohnDF like this.
  11. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    YEAH, man!! That's the ticket! Lookin' GOOD!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :D :cool:
    Do it :thumbsup:
    OG

12. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
  13. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Will do!

OLd_gUY likes this.
  14. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

WolfyW, waynorth, edbeau and 5 others like this.
  15. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

WolfyW, waynorth, edbeau and 8 others like this.
  16. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    I received this yesterday from @Horsewright .
    Dave says this is the only damascus El Toro he has ever done and this sucker is muy SHARP :)
    IMHO the ironwood he selected for me is absolutely outstanding :thumbsup:. Glows like velvet!
    I couldn't be happier with this beautiful example of his extraordinary craftsmanship.
    Thanks Dave - you da' man!
    OG
    [​IMG]

waynorth, edbeau, Wurrwulf and 8 others like this.
  17. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Jolipapa, waynorth, edbeau and 4 others like this.
  18. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
  19. pistonsandgears

pistonsandgears Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2011
  20. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you sir for the kind words! That knife is handled in the last scales from that big block up in post #88.

For another BF member here on the porch I recently finished the only Scandinavian Dadley I've ever done. This knife is heading to Sweden right now. It's scales were cut from a different block of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]