The Just Hanging Out Thread.

How do you know Benchmade is struggling? If they are, it started with MAP pricing and price increases. Many said they would not buy another BM knife. I did buy one and can honestly say that it is presently my favorite modern folder (Mini Presidio II). But I think the price was a bit high. You like a particular knife and become willing to pay the price, but this has a compounding effect on future purchases. Basically you look elsewhere first.

Don’t forget about the JK/Rector collab knives too:)

They is the shiznit :)

Working out a new handle design for a med-small knife along with trying to see if John can do a bit of a grinding trick I've seen from Randall knives that acts like a compound grind. Trying to figure out a way to get the bushcrafty base and slicey front a kansbol without doing it the way they did it. I sent him the sketch this evening so we'll see if it's possible, and then if the process isn't cost prohibitive. If John says it's possible, I'll post the pics over in my collab thread on the JK sub. Otherwise I'll have to decide between the scandivex and saber, which is kind of how the modified grind came up.

And our knives are handmade, so that's something we even have over buck :D

Agreed spyderco fixed blades are way overpriced, unless you go with a mule or waterway.
The waterway is a great knife. The guy that designed it did a great job taking what was a very specific purpose built knife and making small changes to give it more widespread appeal while still retaining it's kayak fisherman knife intentions. I use mine as a kayak camp knife, occasionally as a trail knife when I'm riding and don't think the native salt is enough blade length.

The newer river thing made in China is a pretty decent looking thing as well. I honestly would love a spyderco sprig, but I'm not willing to spend the coin on it. It may not be around anymore.

Heard good things about the waterway. I just picked up a couple new lc200n mules off a different forum and have some halpern 3d scales coming. Will make an excellent camp/fish knife I hope.

In other news, I've been loving what Buck has been doing with bringing budget knives to market that are made in the U.S. They're not the prettiest but they don't cost $100 a pop either.
I love me some Buck Knives particularly the SFOs like From @skblades it is so far the only maker with a club I really think about joining.

Their modern designs are interesting but I find myself more drawn to the older designs and fixed blades.

Recently ive been thinking about their grey ghost marksman. Missed the bf sale but keeping an eye on them. Interesting lock mechanism to me.
The Hawks make a true lay simple yet elegant locking mechanism, don’t have a gray ghost but the black one, it sure is fun to flip and with a fairly thin blade a true cutter.

23 pages in and I finally found the old PIF crowd. Where have I been? :confused: I've got some PIFffing to do but no one to play with. :( Using a few of mine from you guys on a very very regular rotation.

Today though - as we are approaching the holiday season - I'm wondering about what special toots I might order.
Toots :confused: you ask? :D Yeah - is this a Bourbon or a Scotch or Blend crowd and what might you recommend?

I am fond of Glenfiddich - but tend to buy Jameson Irish whiskey as an easy and affordable favorite but will occasionally splurge on a nice single malt or single pot still Irish Whiskey such as - Tyrconnell, Redbreast or Green Spot.

Wondering if anyone has a favorite Japanese Whisky. I'm a very seasonal sipper. So one or two bottles is an indulgence, and the holidays bring out the best. :) Anyone else?

Cheers indeed!

Ray

Damn! Well he only lives about an hour drive from me if anyone wants me to deliver a message for them...

Well gentleman. I'm proud to know that the greater majority of everyone who participated in the thread are stand up folks and great members of bf.

In terms of how genuine and organic the generosity of everyone t...it was just over the top even when the center did not hold.

The only surprise here was that there weren't more folks trying to cash in on the thread in a disingenuous way while the gettings were good!

Worldwatcher Worldwatcher no intervention needed. This clown is called out on bf. His name is garbage.

I gotta laugh this one off but it reminds me early on when some other joker on the pif, took like a $150 knife and didn't even sneeze when he offered back up a beat to hell Spyderco Tenacious.

Gonna find that one and paste it here just to laugh. He was talking up the Tenacious like it was a PM2 or something roflmao.

My bad it was a ZT566, look how he talks up his pif back into the thread a beat up tenacious lol... Post #144

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...doing-this-again.1582646/page-8#post-18087524

Last edited:
Back