The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Haven’t posted in this new thread but did want to give an update. From the SAKs I got from sabre cat sabre cat my son received the Recruit as his first knife. I kept the silver Cadet and it led me down the rabbit hole of SAKs (at least a peek), resulting in a red Alox Cadet being added to the group. Fast forward to last week on a work trip out West and my coworker that went with me were discussing guns and knives. I asked him what kind of knife he carried and was dumbfounded when he said “none”. The silver Cadet from sabre cat sabre cat has been in his pocket since then.

It is amazing just how popular the Cadet is.

On paper I prefer the Soldier/Pioneer but, if it came down to me choosing one or the other, I think the Cadet would win out.

I wouldn't mind seeing the thread come back in some form or another. Maybe not quite a PIF, but closer to a pass around. Or a hybrid of some sort. It was a lot of fun, and I got to try out some things I wouldn't normally.

Now that I have a different membership level, I can more comfortable foreshadow a bit. I'm working on service to facilitate something like this, for a little money of course. I'm working out some of the liabilities I would take on by being involved in the transfer of knives back and forth to folks since we're a sue happy culture.

I thought it was longer ago that I made my quoted statement to jaseman. Finally getting this thing finalized but I'll be offering knife rentals of my designs and JK Knives for now, with the potential production knives in the future. This can work both as a marketing "try before you buy" scenario or if you simply don't want to buy an expensive knife and just want to to check it out. I think there's a lot of potential there, but it would fill in some of the aspects of what the PIF was in trying a knife, and then passing it on except without the same level of good vibes for paying it forward. However, I will be giving some of all profits to military or outdoors charities.

I'm hoping to expand to some mainstream production stuff in 2021, or partner with a much bigger operation who has a retail store to get the service more widespread appeal. Who knows, maybe this will apply to more than just knives, likes lights, small bags, and so on.

Okay, hopefully not too sales pitchy, but I wanted to put an endpoint on what I was working on behind the scenes there. I think it fills in some of the gap that I observed from the PIF thread, the moving around of knives for several people to try before finding its forever home.

Well, I'm still using my PIFs (including the computer) and am pretty grateful to have had the chance to participate.
It was nice to see that the things I passed along were appreciated as well.

Its unfortunate that theres some drama now but I guess that is juat a part of life.
Hopefully we can get another one going and have that fun all over again.

Rental is an interesting concept. I have any idea how much call there would be for it or not, but it’s an interesting concept to say the least. Define is something I haven’t personally heard of before.

Do you have a ratio figured out for knife value vs. rental price, plus factoring in shipping to/from? Or possibly loss/theft of merchandise? Are you factoring in use/wear/damage to those you send out? I’m assuming you have, just kinda thinking out loud.

Since we’re doing updates, I can’t remember who all of these came from, but....

Deinos Deinos sent me a Brous Silent Soldier that I keep on my belt when a larger fixed blade isn’t prudent.

The CRKT Stiff K.I.S.S sabre cat sabre cat sent is constantly getting put to work in the garage, or doing home improvements. I work it pretty hard, and always get a little smile knowing you insisted I take it without a return PIF. I’ve never met you personally, but it feels like a gift from an old friend.

The Steel Will Modus from either @Minirehak212 or @arrowhd - or maybe went through both before landing in my pocket - is in regular rotation. Makes a great, all purpose user, and is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Can’t remember who the Kizer Sunburst came from at the moment (I’ll see if I can dig around so I can tag them), but it’s been in my pocket every weekday for the last two months. Works well as an office EDC since it’s fairly slim, has a stylish flair, and is decidedly NOT tactical looking.

Finally, just today I wore the Invicta Grand Diver. It came as part of a pair of watches, which hopefully @JupiterPaladin is enjoying the other one. Again, can’t remember who it came from, but I’ll figure it out.

Rental is an interesting concept. I have any idea how much call there would be for it or not, but it’s an interesting concept to say the least. Define is something I haven’t personally heard of before.

Do you have a ratio figured out for knife value vs. rental price, plus factoring in shipping to/from? Or possibly loss/theft of merchandise? Are you factoring in use/wear/damage to those you send out? I’m assuming you have, just kinda thinking out loud.

I can answer that all through PM, but the majority of the details will be in the JK Knives sub-forum. I'll just say there is a few tricky pieces of it, but the overall concept is pretty much like a tool rental setup, but aimed more at the marketing/"try before you by" than generating revenue through rentals.

bikerector bikerector - apologies, as I wasn’t intending you to answer them. Was more just thinking (or typing) out loud. Like I said, interesting idea.

It's one of those, "is no one doing it because they haven't thought of it or is no one doing it because there's no demand" types of things. I spent 4-6 months mulling the idea over, starting when the PIF thread was humming along smoothly still.

It's one of those, "is no one doing it because they haven't thought of it or is no one doing it because there's no demand" types of things. I spent 4-6 months mulling the idea over, starting when the PIF thread was humming along smoothly still.

Hopefully it’s the first, and not the second! :cool:

Since we’re doing updates, I can’t remember who all of these came from, but....

Deinos Deinos sent me a Brous Silent Soldier that I keep on my belt when a larger fixed blade isn’t prudent.

The CRKT Stiff K.I.S.S sabre cat sabre cat sent is constantly getting put to work in the garage, or doing home improvements. I work it pretty hard, and always get a little smile knowing you insisted I take it without a return PIF. I’ve never met you personally, but it feels like a gift from an old friend.

The Steel Will Modus from either @Minirehak212 or @arrowhd - or maybe went through both before landing in my pocket - is in regular rotation. Makes a great, all purpose user, and is definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Can’t remember who the Kizer Sunburst came from at the moment (I’ll see if I can dig around so I can tag them), but it’s been in my pocket every weekday for the last two months. Works well as an office EDC since it’s fairly slim, has a stylish flair, and is decidedly NOT tactical looking.

Finally, just today I wore the Invicta Grand Diver. It came as part of a pair of watches, which hopefully @JupiterPaladin is enjoying the other one. Again, can’t remember who it came from, but I’ll figure it out.

Very kind words written throughout the above post. Thank you.

I had a lot of fun setting it up for you to get that knife. I have also enjoyed the fact that you’ve used it more in one or two months than I did in all the years that I owned it.

Kind of makes a pay it forward thread all worthwhile.

You know giving updates on all of our PIF stuff is kind of fun.

I spent part of yesterday looking for batteries for the flashlights that I had received through PIF.

That gave me a chance to ponder the kindness of others in the thread. Especially chuck4570 chuck4570 .
It is his fault that I now have the Surefire flashlights that I have wanted for years.

Yesterday also gave me a chance to talk with an old friend about the pay it forward thread. Tomorrow I will be taking the items that I have acquired to my friend so he can see them. Should be fun.

I have a lot of fun hearing about stuff out in the wild as well. It still amazes me stuff that I thought was awesome but ended up never using. Stuff that I received but put back into the pot only to get something similar on my own after. The PIF this time allowed me to explore small edcs that I could carry around NYC with no issues. I had been looking for knives that were similar to Leek's and the PIF thread really helped me out on that effort.

I don't know why for example I preferred the Mule Team over a nib Landi Custom which was also an awesome edc sized fixed blade. Or how I ended up loving a baby jess horn which I thought was not that appealing. Sending off G shocks and Timexes, and people not liking a benchmade that I thought was a home run and then having someone really take to my favorite edc a Spyderco wharnie Delica. I still basically can't keep a Delica, especially not a wharnie Delica as I will stop carrying or using any other knife besides it. A friend sent me an Endura and now I am using that thing more than any other knife. My Native hasn't been used in months. Sending off the laptops were cool too, as people on the thread tried to help out and sent a little too much money to help with shipping on those laptops....this in turn defrayed the cost of sending a bunch of Rough Rider knives up to Canada to Sharp & Fiery. The shipping cost as much as the knives that I bought for him. So this thread has put at least two other people onto wharncliffes for edc!

In my daily rotation from the pif are a baby jess horn, Kershaw Natrix, Spyderco Urban, CRKT Ripple (on occasion), Mule team (often) I got rid of my other fixed blades bc I really only need one regular edc sized fixed blade for my uses. The EDCs rotate regularly up against a CRK Inkosi, a gen 2 Real Steal metamorph, WE Zinker Dogtooth. I received a Feist in the pif and was going to put it back into the mix when another pif member said he was curious about it. That's how I ended up with a gen 1 metamorph and the Urban both of which I rotate. Except the gen 1 metamorph ended up funnily enough getting sent to Deinos who sent me the Feist in the first place. The Feist now gets carried regularly by Eric Black and Deinos is now edc'ing a carbon fiber metamorph after receiving Eric Black's gen 1 metamorph. Eric also put up that Protech Godson which was my second stab at trying one out and it didn't work for me which someone else really dug. How is that for the circle of pif's?

I have a lot of fun hearing about stuff out in the wild as well. It still amazes me stuff that I thought was awesome but ended up never using. Stuff that I received but put back into the pot only to get something similar on my own after. The PIF this time allowed me to explore small edcs that I could carry around NYC with no issues. I had been looking for knives that were similar to Leek's and the PIF thread really helped me out on that effort.

I don't know why for example I preferred the Mule Team over a nib Landi Custom which was also an awesome edc sized fixed blade. Or how I ended up loving a baby jess horn which I thought was not that appealing. Sending off G shocks and Timexes, and people not liking a benchmade that I thought was a home run and then having someone really take to my favorite edc a Spyderco wharnie Delica. I still basically can't keep a Delica, especially not a wharnie Delica as I will stop carrying or using any other knife besides it. A friend sent me an Endura and now I am using that thing more than any other knife. My Native hasn't been used in months. Sending off the laptops were cool too, as people on the thread tried to help out and sent a little too much money to help with shipping on those laptops....this in turn defrayed the cost of sending a bunch of Rough Rider knives up to Canada to Sharp & Fiery. The shipping cost as much as the knives that I bought for him. So this thread has put at least two other people onto wharncliffes for edc!

In my daily rotation from the pif are a baby jess horn, Kershaw Natrix, Spyderco Urban, CRKT Ripple (on occasion), Mule team (often) I got rid of my other fixed blades bc I really only need one regular edc sized fixed blade for my uses. The EDCs rotate regularly up against a CRK Inkosi, a gen 2 Real Steal metamorph, WE Zinker Dogtooth. I received a Feist in the pif and was going to put it back into the mix when another pif member said he was curious about it. That's how I ended up with a gen 1 metamorph and the Urban both of which I rotate. Except the gen 1 metamorph ended up funnily enough getting sent to Deinos who sent me the Feist in the first place. The Feist now gets carried regularly by Eric Black and Deinos is now edc'ing a carbon fiber metamorph after receiving Eric Black's gen 1 metamorph. Eric also put up that Protech Godson which was my second stab at trying one out and it didn't work for me which someone else really dug. How is that for the circle of pif's?
Funny you mention that Gen 1 Metamorph... considering PiF'ing it to my brother-in-law over the holidays. Sure you guys have heard this story before... guy spends a ****load of money on guns... carries the ****iest knives imaginable... Hoping the smooth action and reasonable edge maintenance turns him into a convert :D (or at least gets him to stop buying terrible knives...)

You know giving updates on all of our PIF stuff is kind of fun.

I spent part of yesterday looking for batteries for the flashlights that I had received through PIF.

That gave me a chance to ponder the kindness of others in the thread. Especially chuck4570 chuck4570 .
It is his fault that I now have the Surefire flashlights that I have wanted for years.

Yesterday also gave me a chance to talk with an old friend about the pay it forward thread. Tomorrow I will be taking the items that I have acquired to my friend so he can see them. Should be fun.
Lynn thank you for the kind words and I’m glad I could be an enabler for your addictions. I miss the old PIF thread and And the people that I met there, I keep an eye out for you whenever I’m on.

Lynn thank you for the kind words and I’m glad I could be an enabler for your addictions. I miss the old PIF thread and And the people that I met there, I keep an eye out for you whenever I’m on.

I look for you too, my friend.
Seeing a post from you brightens my day .

Back