Off Topic The looker

^^^^^

We take any unruly riffraff out to the dumpsters...and when we're done with them, we set it on fire. That's why you don't hear of such issues. ;)
Your a top moderator right if so I can sell knives as a platinum member right

Your a top moderator right if so I can sell knives as a platinum member right

You can sell...but you can only do so in the proper area of the Exchange. (Read the rules at the top of of the page for the appropriate sub-category of the item you wish to sell.) Commerce is not allowed to be conducted in the discussion forums.

Once listed, you must wait two weeks to relist if it hasn't sold. Take good pix for the potential buyers and give a fair and accurate assessment of the item you wish to sell.

Any questions, send me a PM so we don't have to take up space here or post questions in the "Service and Support" area of the site.

I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen a CRK enthusiast openly attacking somebody else for not liking them, or for liking something different. This being the internet, I'm sure it happens, but not as often as the devotees of.... some other knives. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe you folks are just too sophisticated when you get to slagging other people, and I don't understand what you're saying.
More often than not it’s the folks that don’t like them that seemed triggered to be honest.

This is what I was talking about yesterday that would be a great do all in the construction field. It can be as sharp as any knife and cut anything required, it can pry, strip wire and do just about anything. Wish they had em 20 yrs ago or if they did that I knew about em. I think this is the perfect knife for construction imo.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
This is what I was talking about yesterday that would be a great do all in the construction field. It can be as sharp as any knife and cut anything required, it can pry, strip wire and do just about anything. Wish they had em 20 yrs ago or if they did that I knew about em. I think this is the perfect knife for construction imo.
Also wanted to mention I found it was great for cutting caulk lines because of the foat chisel grind.

I have one of those I use all the time. Great knife. I wish they made a left handed one.

Really no one. Said.fixed blade yet......

HOW ABOUT A FIXED BLADE??? YEP I'M YELLING😂.

A Mora.to beat on and whatever strikes your fancy.for the rest!!!

Your welcome!👍👍👍

😉
This right here! Obviously get a good solid work folder for fun, lots of good suggestions here. But also get yourself a tough smaller to medium size fixed blade too.. moras are good and cheap but I’m just not a fan personally. An Esee or small Busse/Swamp Rat/Sykco are close to unbeatable and have better warranties than most products in general nowadays.. Izula 2 is pretty close to indestructible, Ive beaten the crap out of mine, hammering and even prying and it’s still going strong. The stock sheath sucks though and will dull the edge so beware.. My personal fav is a Swamp Rat mega warden, with a kydex sheath from Dave Brown. I’ve hammered the spine and butt end, pried, chipped, scraped, used it as a hammer lol and it shrugs that stuff off. Just some more suggestions to keep things interesting..
A592777D-E8D5-4C93-AEB2-8B37FDCC2FA4.jpeg
Knives I’ve used for work over the years.. all great and sturdy but the tanto pm2 pretty much kicked all the rest to the curb. I personally think tanto blades are the best shape for woodworking but ymmv depending on preference and what type of construction you’re doing.
25C81A1E-C06C-482A-A78C-DDD8F1FABE35.jpeg3C4BDDE7-F436-4ECC-84DD-A8D65F1363F1.jpeg0CE79BEF-90B5-4D11-9533-AABA30D929D4.jpeg
5621AEDD-217B-4500-8B08-E2CC0C41B78C.jpeg9AE7C373-7BFC-49CC-BA30-D3436CE27843.jpeg
Daily pocket carry when I was a carpenter, plus the utility knife etc in my bags. Overkill maybe.. but where’s the fun if you don’t use them lol

This right here! Obviously get a good solid work folder for fun, lots of good suggestions here. But also get yourself a tough smaller to medium size fixed blade too.. moras are good and cheap but I’m just not a fan personally. An Esee or small Busse/Swamp Rat/Sykco are close to unbeatable and have better warranties than most products in general nowadays.. Izula 2 is pretty close to indestructible, Ive beaten the crap out of mine, hammering and even prying and it’s still going strong. The stock sheath sucks though and will dull the edge so beware.. My personal fav is a Swamp Rat mega warden, with a kydex sheath from Dave Brown. I’ve hammered the spine and butt end, pried, chipped, scraped, used it as a hammer lol and it shrugs that stuff off. Just some more suggestions to keep things interesting..
View attachment 2274201
Knives I’ve used for work over the years.. all great and sturdy but the tanto pm2 pretty much kicked all the rest to the curb. I personally think tanto blades are the best shape for woodworking but ymmv depending on preference and what type of construction you’re doing.
View attachment 2274206View attachment 2274210View attachment 2274211
View attachment 2274214View attachment 2274217
Daily pocket carry when I was a carpenter, plus the utility knife etc in my bags. Overkill maybe.. but where’s the fun if you don’t use them lol
Very nice, I like ya style. Also really made me miss my worn in estwing hammer!

View attachment 2274201
View attachment 2274206View attachment 2274210View attachment 2274211
View attachment 2274214View attachment 2274217

Welcome to the party!

I’ve been carrying a Hinderer Eklipse Bowie most days for the last few months. It’s definitely overkill for what I need from a knife, but the ergonomics are some of the best I’ve ever experienced. That, and the fact that they offer like 6 or 7 blade shapes and a few different super steels, means there’s a good chance they make one you find aesthetically pleasing.
And definitely as tough as just about any framelock can be.
For a little less money I would recommend a ZT. I’ve used the hell out of my 0801s, 0566 and especially my 0909. You can find all of these for around $200, sometimes less, and they will all take a beating too. The 0909 is my favorite “budget” beater.
They were on sale for $139 at one point, and you can’t kill ‘em. G10, on stainless steel liners, with a THICK liner lock and S35VN steel. They slice pretty well too thanks to the generous amount of belly.
Really nice Les George design for a fraction of the real thing.
Unfortunately I have never tried a CRK. I would like to get a large 21/31 before the year is over. I only hear good things.

Last edited:
I’ve been carrying a Hinderer Eklipse Bowie most days for the last few months. It’s definitely overkill for what I need from a knife, but the ergonomics are some of the best I’ve ever experienced. That, and the fact that they offer like 6 or 7 blade shapes and a few different super steels, means there’s a good chance they make one you find aesthetically pleasing.
And definitely as tough as just about any framelock can be.
For a little less money I would recommend a ZT. I’ve used the hell out of my 0801s, 0566 and especially my 0909. You can find all of these for around $200, sometimes less, and they will all take a beating too. The 0909 is my favorite “budget” beater.
They were on sale for $139 at one point, and you can’t kill ‘em. G10, on stainless steel liners, with a THICK liner lock and S35VN steel. They slice pretty well too thanks to the generous amount of belly.
Really nice Les George design for a fraction of the real thing.
Unfortunately I have never tried a CRK. I would like to get a large 21/31 before the year is over. I only hear good things.
You should put a real Les George on ya list too! 😉

You should put a real Les George on ya list too! 😉
It is on my list! LOL but so isn’t a SHF, a “real” Quantum, along with the aforementioned CRK.
Oh and that new XM-18 Bowie… that’s up there near the top of the list too… haha
Knife problems

Agree with others that the right tool for the job is important, but that said, a knife often is the right tool for the job.

If you are truly dead set on getting a "nice" American made knife to carry and use on the construction site. Then my recommendations would be; CRK if you want something slimmer in pocket and slicey, a Spartan Harsey Folder if you prefer something a bit thicker & more robust, a Hinderer if you like flipper tabs would split the difference, or a Zero Tolerance frame lock if you want to save a couple bucks.

Paired with a small flat prybar & a box-cutter (I prefer the Bostich double blade, to easily keep both a straight & hook blade handy), which are also the appropriate tools for certain jobs, any one of the above mentioned would suffice your desire/need for a nice sturdy construction knife.

Last edited:
I worked in a custom cabinet shop in the late 90s. I remember carrying a delica with the integral plastic clip for a while because they were the new thing (and a Gerber ez-out because I couldn’t find a delica at first) and another guy in the shop had one. An aside — I’ve never seen a knife abused as much as that guy’s delica. Story for another day though.

I had my first buck 110 and my first LB7 in those days too, but the 20 or 30 bucks I spent on them was too expensive to beat on. Same with the delica. My go-to knife was either a craftsman stockman or one of those LB7-style knife with the sawcut delrin and only a front bolster. It had a lanyard hole, so I could use it at the shop or when I was working on the party boat.

Unfortunately I don’t have any of those knives anymore so I can’t take any pics.

Back