The Members Discussion Thread

No politics, we keep it cool here.

It's not politics, it's reality.

Why was the tree posted, it may have been cut down for political reasons? I didn't notice you mentioning anything about 'politics' when it dealt with salmon. How about climate change?

So please, let me know your litmus for what is and isn't politics.

How sad, people can suck.
F09-A2268-FA32-4-D2-A-BF3-F-FFEF4-F83-CC80.jpg

I'll never understand that. The a _ _ wipe probably kills kittens for fun, too.

We have room for him in our county jail if Hamden doesn't.

There is the story of the Golden Spruce out there in British Columbia from a few years back. The tree of some hundreds of years old, a revered and important monument of the local tribal culture, well known attraction, and a biological oddity because of its bright yellow color which made it stand out with prominence in the deep green forest surrounding it for miles and miles. Someone took their chainsaw to it and laid it low. It turns out that far from being the action of a mindless vandal it was an act of conscious protest, symbol for the general decimation of the greater forests through unhindered logging practices by Grant Hadwin, a kind of renown Paul Bunyanian figure of that area, a logger known for his eccentricity. He was some sort of scout for the logging company and could disappear into the rain forest for long periods alone. Once drunk he stumbled out of the cafe during a blizzard, fell into a snowbank, slept the night through the storm, woke up the next day and went to work. Before he could get stood up for trial for cutting the Golden Spruce he mysteriously vanished.

I read a piece from The New Yorker after your post, it's an intriguing story. Certainly a little madness at play, and occurs during an interesting era. Sounds like the already troubled man saw the land being denuded right in front of his eyes and it pushed him over the edge. And the DB Cooper type ending certainly adds to the mystique.

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. 3 years ago I blazed 4 wheeler trails all around my and my neighbors woods. About 1000' from my property there is some kind of farm implement laid in the crotch of a tree and long forgotten about!
VJhM7zt.jpg
CWzcthf.jpg
Birnhvv.jpg
6Fv0iBl.jpg

I know from talking to my neighbors that my land and the surrounding property used to be farm land. There's a bunch of other equipment over there but none stuck in trees. :eek:

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. 3 years ago I blazed 4 wheeler trails all around my and my neighbors woods. About 1000' from my property there is some kind of farm implement laid in the crotch of a tree and long forgotten about!
VJhM7zt.jpg
CWzcthf.jpg
Birnhvv.jpg
6Fv0iBl.jpg

I know from talking to my neighbors that my land and the surrounding property used to be farm land. There's a bunch of other equipment over there but none stuck in trees. :eek:

Eventually the ends will rust of and the tree wil encapsulate it. Then years later some poor bloke will ruin his chainsaw on it.

some kind of farm implement laid in the crotch of a tree and long forgotten about!

That's Uber cool,Josh!:)
As a sculpture,for sure,neat stuff.

Those chain-links look hand forged;you can look to see if they have a diagonal-running scarf line,it'd be fairly visible.
The square nuts look old enough for those U-bolts to be wrought iron too.
It doesn't mean that they'd any of it be low-C stuff,or clean,or easily forgeble,but may well be neat old stuff under one's hammer.

Eventually the ends will rust of and the tree wil encapsulate it. Then years later some poor bloke will ruin his chainsaw on it.
I'd LOVE to be able to cut down those trees and save someone the trouble someday... But they aren't mine darnit. That little cluster of red oak would yield a lot of firewood. And even better a lot of chopping!! I really do enjoy falling trees with an axe. There's not much I consider more fun than that. (That's because I don't do it for a living).
That's Uber cool,Josh!:)
As a sculpture,for sure,neat stuff.

Those chain-links look hand forged;you can look to see if they have a diagonal-running scarf line,it'd be fairly visible.
The square nuts look old enough for those U-bolts to be wrought iron too.
It doesn't mean that they'd any of it be low-C stuff,or clean,or easily forgeble,but may well be neat old stuff under one's hammer.
I don't have a hammer! Or a forge! And worst of all I doubt I can even ask for permission with the folks that own that property being they are from away. But I'll scope it out after work to see if they are hand forged and report back.
I suppose being that the links will disappear regardless it might not be unethical to take a few close to the tree. What do you guys think?

Hey man, be cool. We're all trying to get along here. We don't bring the snark or sarcasm from other places here, from any side of the political spectrum or otherwise. You've kind of walked into a room of civility that's sinfully rare on the internet.

We hold ourselves to a high degree of tactful conduct, and this place does supremely well with minimal oversight. It's awesome to have a place of discourse that's not inundated with adversarial relationships. Do you know what I mean? It kinda seems like you're a little bit rolling in here gangbusters, when the atmosphere here is more like a camp fire. I'd guess that nobody here wants to see the peace upset. So really, be cool! I'm sure if you've got good inputs to give and you're polite you'll find a nice group of people here. Bygones, and all that. Let's be cool. Reset.

Back