The Members Discussion Thread

Josh, I have no idea what to suggest as a fire retardant, but, there are a number of products out there but I have not used any of them. I don't even know who to ask beyond the big box lumber yards or an Internet search. Since you have the snowblower ready in early September perhaps we will have another winter of the blue snow that is so cold the flame on matches wears a goose down parka.

Didn't know where else to post these. Hand tool thread perhaps? Anyway I worked on the vices today. The bull dog really cleaned up nicely. (Obviously temporarily mounted for cleaning)
KB2y5TK.jpg
ByHoRXt.jpg

4-1/8" jaw and weighs 52lbs. It's cleaned, degreased, lubricated and re-greased. It works very nicely! I'm curious about a stamp I found on the bottom of the front jaw. Stamped 84. Year of manufacture perhaps??
z5wvcJE.jpg

I still have to finish cleaning the columbian wood vice.
NRr8kRC.jpg
After much effort and persistence I freed the sliding clamp. That's a good feeling after all that effort to finally get it broken free!
QQI48Qu.jpg

Last edited:
I finally finished this little project I've had in mind for a couple months. Nothing too fancy but it'll work. My cousin threw out a futon awhile back. The ends are solid maple and I couldn't just throw them out. So I thought of a use! In this photo all but the top layer is done.
8zyo3nR.jpg

For the bottom supports and the top layer I repurposed some old 2x4's from a camp my grandfather built a looooong time ago.
pI8csn7.jpg
qUjBLIe.jpg

Anybody have a suggestion what I can treat the wood with to make it a little fire retardant? It's only been drying for 80 years now.... lol. I can't wait to get some sort of forge figured out!

Google "anvil stand". You want your feet right up next to your anvil on all sides.

Then stand straight up, hang you arm at your side and make a fist. The bottom of your fist should be the height of the top of your anvil.

I guess I'll keep the vise theme going and post my vise here. This was my dad's vise and I'm pretty sure he told me that it was his father's vise. Its pretty old anyways.

It is a 5" stationary machinist vise, but I can't find a manufacturers name on it anywhere. The only numbers on the whole thing are 135A and 135B which I assume are part numbers. I'm guessing that would indicate that the vise is a model 135??

Does anyone have any ideas about who might of made it or know of any good vise resources that might help? The vise weighs about 70lbs without the receiver mounting hitch plate that my dad made for it.

Thanks for any leads.

I guess I'll keep the vise theme going and post my vise here. This was my dad's vise and I'm pretty sure he told me that it was his father's vise. Its pretty old anyways.

It is a 5" stationary machinist vise, but I can't find a manufacturers name on it anywhere. The only numbers on the whole thing are 135A and 135B which I assume are part numbers. I'm guessing that would indicate that the vise is a model 135??

Does anyone have any ideas about who might of made it or know of any good vise resources that might help? The vise weighs about 70lbs without the receiver mounting hitch plate that my dad made for it.

Thanks for any leads.

I'm aware that all vices look similar to a certain extent. However that REALLY resembles the one I just got. A Prentiss. The more I look at yours the more similarities I see. For instance look at the handle and the round piece it runs through;
KB2y5TK.jpg

ByHoRXt.jpg

Yours may be an older one? There are differences for too but either way it's a great vice and awesome that it was your dad's.

Just for the heck of it:

ouxEvaZ.jpg

s6KK8M7.jpg

Bob

Those are all very similar!! and the 5" Morgan is the right weight also.

I wonder if one of those manufacturers ever made vises for a 3rd party - kind of like how true temper and schrade made axes and knives for sears/craftsman. if so maybe they wouldn't stamp their name on it, but the 3rd party would stick on a paper label or something?

Awhile back I split up a Black Walnut log using wedges and gluts.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/pea...-dog-•-hook-on-a-stick.1567732/#post-17980999

My intention is to end up with a simple rustic bench with minimal tools. I took the widest piece out of the log I could (without the pith) for the seat. The rest I split for leg stock.

upu43kN.jpg

Well a couple of days ago I started to split out the blanks for the legs using a froe. Needless to say it didn't go too well:rolleyes:, so I got out a couple of steel wedges and a sledge. Still pretty damned hard work for an old geezer.:D

vKbfbFb.jpg

:eek:

Bob

rjdankert I, too, have found it to be more work now than it was 50 years ago. I have a walnut tree that snapped off about 7 feet off the ground that I need to deal with in a like manner ... but, I think mine is mostly legs and firewood. Wedges still work for splitting and is the only way I have ever done it. I did acquire a froe earlier this year though to give it a try.

Just for grins,i wonder if any of you guys are familiar with such device...

https://imgur.com/gEP4xSZ

It's a "fishwheel",a very old design of a rotating,river-powered fish-trap,originally from India or China...Wherever it was that the Army Corp of Engineers have dug it up from,to offset the starvation among native people caused by overfishing in Alaska by early canneries,late 19th c./early 20th...

Agent_H,it's thanks to You that we can actually see these photos!:)

Yes,the days(and nights,earlier in the year when it's light around the clock)get to be fun here...
Somewhat schizophrenic,as in here you are one moment in the far past,and 10 minutes later back to modern reality,with paperwork and internet and having to clean the house...

Fishwheels are cool beasts,i love running one.This is a dinky,baby one,it dips only 8' into the water...I've participated in running monstrous ones of up to 20',and i tell ya the forces involved there are something else...
I think originally the design stems from using bamboo poles,here they're spruce poles,and better lashed vs fastened with any kinf of iron...but again,this is a simpler one.
Wheels are one of the reasons why pikepole and peavey are my right-hand tools year around...

Agent_H,it's thanks to You that we can actually see these photos!:)

Yes,the days(and nights,earlier in the year when it's light around the clock)get to be fun here...
Somewhat schizophrenic,as in here you are one moment in the far past,and 10 minutes later back to modern reality,with paperwork and internet and having to clean the house...

Fishwheels are cool beasts,i love running one.This is a dinky,baby one,it dips only 8' into the water...I've participated in running monstrous ones of up to 20',and i tell ya the forces involved there are something else...
I think originally the design stems from using bamboo poles,here they're spruce poles,and better lashed vs fastened with any kinf of iron...but again,this is a simpler one.
Wheels are one of the reasons why pikepole and peavey are my right-hand tools year around...
Thanks for sharing those pics ... I had no idea something like that even existed.

Back