1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Members Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by KiwiBloke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Josh, I have no idea what to suggest as a fire retardant, but, there are a number of products out there but I have not used any of them. I don't even know who to ask beyond the big box lumber yards or an Internet search. Since you have the snowblower ready in early September perhaps we will have another winter of the blue snow that is so cold the flame on matches wears a goose down parka.

Trailsawyer and Yankee Josh like this.
  2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Didn't know where else to post these. Hand tool thread perhaps? Anyway I worked on the vices today. The bull dog really cleaned up nicely. (Obviously temporarily mounted for cleaning) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    4-1/8" jaw and weighs 52lbs. It's cleaned, degreased, lubricated and re-greased. It works very nicely! I'm curious about a stamp I found on the bottom of the front jaw. Stamped 84. Year of manufacture perhaps??[​IMG]
    I still have to finish cleaning the columbian wood vice. [​IMG] After much effort and persistence I freed the sliding clamp. That's a good feeling after all that effort to finally get it broken free! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Fmont, A17, Meek1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Google "anvil stand". You want your feet right up next to your anvil on all sides.

Then stand straight up, hang you arm at your side and make a fist. The bottom of your fist should be the height of the top of your anvil.

Fmont, Yankee Josh, A17 and 4 others like this.
  4. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    I guess I'll keep the vise theme going and post my vise here. This was my dad's vise and I'm pretty sure he told me that it was his father's vise. Its pretty old anyways.

It is a 5" stationary machinist vise, but I can't find a manufacturers name on it anywhere. The only numbers on the whole thing are 135A and 135B which I assume are part numbers. I'm guessing that would indicate that the vise is a model 135??

Does anyone have any ideas about who might of made it or know of any good vise resources that might help? The vise weighs about 70lbs without the receiver mounting hitch plate that my dad made for it.

Thanks for any leads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fmont, A17, junkenstien and 2 others like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Awesome!

Was your Dad a mechanic or a welder? Because those are the trades that I see with these trailer hitch mounted vises. Usually they're on flatbeds which are built out for their particular trade.

Fmont, A17, Hairy Clipper and 3 others like this.
  6. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Both actually, but most of his mechanic work was done on the side, after work. He did a good bit of welding at work.

Fmont, A17, Hairy Clipper and 4 others like this.
  7. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm aware that all vices look similar to a certain extent. However that REALLY resembles the one I just got. A Prentiss. The more I look at yours the more similarities I see. For instance look at the handle and the round piece it runs through;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yours may be an older one? There are differences for too but either way it's a great vice and awesome that it was your dad's.

8. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I see a lot of similarities to early Morgan vises.
    https://archive.org/details/MorganViseCo1930

[​IMG]

Fmont, FLINT77, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  9. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Just for the heck of it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob

Fmont, Square_peg, FLINT77 and 3 others like this.
  10. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Those are all very similar!! and the 5" Morgan is the right weight also.

I wonder if one of those manufacturers ever made vises for a 3rd party - kind of like how true temper and schrade made axes and knives for sears/craftsman. if so maybe they wouldn't stamp their name on it, but the 3rd party would stick on a paper label or something?

Fmont, A17, Yankee Josh and 1 other person like this.
  11. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Awhile back I split up a Black Walnut log using wedges and gluts.
    https://bladeforums.com/threads/pea...-dog-•-hook-on-a-stick.1567732/#post-17980999

My intention is to end up with a simple rustic bench with minimal tools. I took the widest piece out of the log I could (without the pith) for the seat. The rest I split for leg stock.

[​IMG]

Well a couple of days ago I started to split out the blanks for the legs using a froe. Needless to say it didn't go too well:rolleyes:, so I got out a couple of steel wedges and a sledge. Still pretty damned hard work for an old geezer.:D

[​IMG]
    :eek:

Bob

Fmont, garry3, quinton and 8 others like this.
  12. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    rjdankert I, too, have found it to be more work now than it was 50 years ago. I have a walnut tree that snapped off about 7 feet off the ground that I need to deal with in a like manner ... but, I think mine is mostly legs and firewood. Wedges still work for splitting and is the only way I have ever done it. I did acquire a froe earlier this year though to give it a try.

Fmont, Agent_H, Trailsawyer and 2 others like this.
  13. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Got a better piece of my Black Walnut split for one of my rustic bench legs and started to square it up a bit.

[​IMG]

Bob

Fmont, quinton, Square_peg and 6 others like this.
  14. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That Black Oak fears such a Timmerbila!

Fmont, junkenstien, A17 and 3 others like this.
  15. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    I think any wood would.:D Don't really know what I'm doing, but the old Swede seems to go through this stuff like smör. Thanks for putting me in touch with Lars enabling me to acquire this gem.

Bob

16. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Just for grins,i wonder if any of you guys are familiar with such device...

https://imgur.com/gEP4xSZ

It's a "fishwheel",a very old design of a rotating,river-powered fish-trap,originally from India or China...Wherever it was that the Army Corp of Engineers have dug it up from,to offset the starvation among native people caused by overfishing in Alaska by early canneries,late 19th c./early 20th...

17. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
  18. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
  19. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Agent_H,it's thanks to You that we can actually see these photos!:)

Yes,the days(and nights,earlier in the year when it's light around the clock)get to be fun here...
    Somewhat schizophrenic,as in here you are one moment in the far past,and 10 minutes later back to modern reality,with paperwork and internet and having to clean the house...

Fishwheels are cool beasts,i love running one.This is a dinky,baby one,it dips only 8' into the water...I've participated in running monstrous ones of up to 20',and i tell ya the forces involved there are something else...
    I think originally the design stems from using bamboo poles,here they're spruce poles,and better lashed vs fastened with any kinf of iron...but again,this is a simpler one.
    Wheels are one of the reasons why pikepole and peavey are my right-hand tools year around...

20. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks for sharing those pics ... I had no idea something like that even existed.