The Members Discussion Thread

I've finished the black raven. There were a few knicks in the bit 8 months ago when I purchased it. So a month after re-hanging it I filed a radial grind on it because I didn't want to remove much steel. In all honesty I was kind of afraid to! That may sound silly but I didn't want to ruin it.
I wasn't taking a picture of the grind itself, while this isn't a close up, here is that grind;
sH4HAO9.jpg

Then I made an attempt at a nicer mask which didn't turn out well at all. (I took this pic this morning);
20191114_123305.jpg
. 3 or 4 months later I then decided screw it! I wanted it filed and sharpened properly so I put a banana grind on it. Other than not removing a small chip off the heel I was careful and did it right. But the way the stone marks looked against the rest of the steel looked pretty bad in my opinion.
QH4VAob.jpg

5Ycdiln.jpg

And there was a small chip off the heel that I was reluctant to remove for fear of screwing it up.
83DvfJZ.jpg

So finally a few days ago I decided that it's silly to be afraid of messing up something that I own! Plus goodness knows I've got enough practice to improve it safely. So I removed about 80% of the chip with a file, honed it up, then used directional strokes with dry 600 grit sandpaper. I made a sheath like I've been making 'em recently and here's the result! I'm very pleased I did it.
1VJAztO.jpg

jKUGp7S.jpg
kylcumE.jpg
XPxQR5y.jpg

I actually took inspiration from a raven that's on THAT auction site presently. They look almost like twins now. I thought to myself "there's no reason mine can't look that good"! So I went to work and I'm glad I did. Have a good one!
kzOtshY.jpg

Last edited:
Astonishing as always sir!
I've finished the black raven. There were a few knicks in the bit when I purchased it. So after re-hanging it I filed a radial grind on it because I didn't want to remove much steel. In all honesty I was kind of afraid to! That may sound silly but I didn't want to ruin it.
I wasn't taking a picture of the grind itself, while this isn't a close up, here is that grind;
sH4HAO9.jpg

Then I made an attempt at a nicer mask which didn't turn out well at all. (I took this pic this morning);
View attachment 1232089
. I then decided screw it! I wanted it filed and sharpened properly so I put a banana grind on it. Other than not removing a small chip off the heel I was careful and did it right. But the way the stone marks looked against the rest of the steel looked pretty bad in my opinion.
QH4VAob.jpg

5Ycdiln.jpg

And there was a small chip off the heel that I was reluctant to remove for fear of screwing it up.
83DvfJZ.jpg

So I finally decided that it's silly to be afraid of messing up something that I own! Plus goodness knows I've got enough practice to improve it safely. So I removed about 80% of the chip with a file, honed it up, then used directional strokes with dry 600 grit sandpaper. I made a sheath like I've been making 'em recently and here's the result! I'm very pleased I did it.
1VJAztO.jpg

jKUGp7S.jpg
kylcumE.jpg
XPxQR5y.jpg

I actually took inspiration from a raven that's on THAT auction site presently. They look almost like twins now. I thought to myself "there's no reason mine can't look that good"! So I went to work and I'm glad I did. Have a good one!
kzOtshY.jpg

Thanks guys! Very nice comments! I thought it was an improvement. I don't ever want to just put any color in there. Definitely needs to be what they used in the factory.
It's so ironic that the Michigan pattern is my LEAST favorite! I know you guys already know this but it's so funny that all the best etches i have are Michigans. Even my OVB(s) are Michigans!
View attachment 1230511 View attachment 1230512
Lol. I've been making some improvements to the black raven as well. I'm not finished with it but I'll post up some before and afters once I git-r-done! That B&D really makes me happy. $20 I paid for that!
Its come a long way though...
XCPCcHR.jpg

Jtb5kom.jpg
The before and after shot is...there’s no words. Good work man.

Astonishing as always sir!
The before and after shot is...there’s no words. Good work man.
You have a beautiful Black Raven there Josh! When is the museum going to open to the public?
Thank you guys! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. But Harry Clipper you've got the wrong guy... While I've got some nice stuff the museum collection belongs to I Think Very Deeply.
One day I plan on being independent wealthy. But until then I'll just have a moderate collection with some really nice pieces. What a fun hobby though. Thanks again!

Thank you guys! I'm very pleased with how it turned out. But Harry Clipper you've got the wrong guy... While I've got some nice stuff the museum collection belongs to I Think Very Deeply.
One day I plan on being independent wealthy. But until then I'll just have a moderate collection with some really nice pieces. What a fun hobby though. Thanks again!
That is high praise indeed. But that Raven is so sick!! The full banana grind and your leather looks great man!
Really nice presentation.

What black and gold do you use for filling your embossment?

That is high praise indeed. But that Raven is so sick!! The full banana grind and your leather looks great man!
Really nice presentation.

What black and gold do you use for filling your embossment?
Thank you! Getting a leather compliment from you is, also, high praise indeed!
I'm not sure which axe you are referring to. Must be the Bigelow & Dowse you are talking about?
The black raven is just its natural look. I didn't alter that etch in any way.
The B&D I just used regular artists "Apple Barrel" gold paint mixed with a color called "chocolate sprinkle" to darken it up some. I thought I had mixed it up a tad darker but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thank you! Getting a leather compliment from you is, also, high praise indeed!
I'm not sure which axe you are referring to. Must be the Bigelow & Dowse you are talking about?
The black raven is just its natural look. I didn't alter that etch in any way.
The B&D I just used regular artists "Apple Barrel" gold paint mixed with a color called "chocolate sprinkle" to darken it up some. I thought I had mixed it up a tad darker but I'm happy with how it turned out.
Thanks! I’m interested in trying an old school lamp black paint to infill... I also want to make an old metal paint trying to match what they would have used with brass or bronze in it.

Hey guys what do you use to apply blows when seating the head onto the handle? Iv'e been placing the head on the end of the handle, turning it upside down and apply blows to the knob/clipped fawns foot with a steel hammer, which as you all know, mangles and dents the handle. I need a new tool specifically for this job.

Would you recommended a dead blow hammer? If so 2 or 3lb is necessary? I have seen quite cheap versions that are all one piece and fancy ones with nylon faces that wear with use that you need to replace which look amazing but about 3 times the price.

So what do you use and what do you think I should try out? :) Thanks
I'm not normally lucky enough to come into a lot of full fawn's foot handles but for the clipped ones that are standard anymore I made myself a large oak mallet. More forgiving than steel but still hard enough to make it work. I dig the swell saver though. Will try to get a photo of the mallet, if nothing else it was kind of a fun project to build.

Back