1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

The Members Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by KiwiBloke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    A couple random leather trinkets I made, you guys might dig.

A key clip and a pick pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fmont, Square_peg, Agent_H and 7 others like this.
  2. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Those are awesome! I especially love the pick holder, being a guitarist. Did you carve the guitar into it?

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  3. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Thanks KB! I’ll send you one. Since you can’t message me here, maybe send me your address over at imgur.
    The guitar is a stamp imprint.

Cheers!

4. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Oh man that would be incredible!!! I noticed you on facebook on the axe hounds page, if it's okay I will send you a private message to that account. Thanks you are a legend!

5. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    And @Agent_H I certainly have not forgotten your generosity! I still haven't come across something cool enough to send you in return for the bevel gauge. Keeping my eye out! Actually whilst I have mentioned it..a family member asked me what would you use the 120 degree section of the gauge for and I was stumped. Any ideas what that would be useful for?

6. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Well at least we can rest easy now guys.. Gordan Ramsey is not the one responsible for mushrooming all of our poles!

1:08 into the clip
    HAHA!

7. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Sure!

8. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Breaking dishes is easy. He’s not breaking any axes.

KiwiBloke likes this.
  9. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Surprised their oyster axe isn't all rusted up. Maybe a clear coat over the steel.

10. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    You like that one previously pictured, it only holds 1-2 picks, or this other that holds 2-3? It also has my first ever attempt at two-tone stitching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...it’s hard to make out in the photos but it has both black and natural color stitching through the same holes.

11. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    And that, @ithinkverydeeply, is a very small example of what sets your skill and dedication apart from the pack!

KiwiBloke and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  12. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Ohhhhhh yes the two tone stitching please! I'm like a kid in a candy shop hahah! Those are just unreal, can't wait to show it off to the local guitarists. You could sell those worldwide, I think many thousands of people would want one. I sent my details to your facebook page. Thank you so very much.

13. ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Hmmm. I don’t see anything... sure it was me? (That old shingler’s hatchet on my profile pic.)

Square_peg likes this.
  14. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Yup definitely you. I messaged again. Because we aren't 'friends' perhaps it is in the "message requests" folder which is next to the 'recent' button in your private messages.

15. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Hey guys what do you use to apply blows when seating the head onto the handle? Iv'e been placing the head on the end of the handle, turning it upside down and apply blows to the knob/clipped fawns foot with a steel hammer, which as you all know, mangles and dents the handle. I need a new tool specifically for this job.

Would you recommended a dead blow hammer? If so 2 or 3lb is necessary? I have seen quite cheap versions that are all one piece and fancy ones with nylon faces that wear with use that you need to replace which look amazing but about 3 times the price.

So what do you use and what do you think I should try out? :) Thanks

A17, ithinkverydeeply and Yankee Josh like this.
  16. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Once I've sanded a flat spot, or clipped the fawns foot as you so eloquently put it, i use a large hard rubber mallet. Then a 3 lb sledge only for last 5 hits or so. 20190517_230049.jpg But if it's a pristine helve and one that needs to be saved i made a tool to save the swell. If you search "swell saver tool" on the forum you'll find a thread about it. Here's a couple pics though. [​IMG]
    I really wanted to save this fawns foot on this black raven haft. Pretty sure it's original. In fact I finally made the tool for this one. [​IMG]
    Hope that helped! Here's that swell after being driven hard! [​IMG]

17. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Thanks for the pictures Josh, yes I remember very well the fantastic device you made. One day I will have a crack at something similar.

The rubber mallet sounds good as it is soft, but it must also bounce right back at you when struck too? Dead blow sounds good as it applies the most force possible and is effortless to wield but perhaps the more hard plastic type face would too mar the work.

Also does the black rubber mallet leave black marks on the wood? Iv'e seen people use white ones perhaps for this reason?

Yankee Josh, A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  18. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    It doesn't bounce too bad at all. It is a pretty hard rubber though. In fact it's hard enough that I sand it with the orbital every once in awhile after it gets scuffed up and dinged up. It does leave black marks but I always end up re-sanding after hanging anyhow so that doesn't bother.
    I purchased two dead blow hammers from HD at first. They were too hard for my liking and also not heavy enough. I think those ones with interchangeable faces are probably the way to go. Once my mallet wears out that's probably what I'll use.

KiwiBloke, A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  19. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    White rubber mallet is what I use. Never had a problem with it.

20. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Visited Timberline Lodge today - axe/adze marks.
    [​IMG]