The Members Discussion Thread

K KiwiBloke I tracked your package. It was supposed to be there Monday but is running late. For some reasons it went through an international shipping outlet in Jamaica NY!?! That’s from WA state to NY state to New Zealand!! Which direction around the globe do you go from there? Quite the trek but it should eventually make it.
haha thank you brother! That is odd aye! I do appreciate it. :D Now I can tell people that ask that not only is it handmade in the great USA but it has also toured all around the states.

I'd leave them as pristine NOS. Users are for using. Plenty of users available.

No one can say what the axe market might be like in 20 years or if there will be any market at all. If the world economy turned very bad you might wish you'd sold while people still had money.

Interestingly, right now the most valuable part of my Wetterlings set is that badge for the Scout Hatchet. Plenty of people have that scout hatchet but for some reason Wetterlings only put badges with some of them. So a lot of people out there don't have the badge just the hatchet, sheath and booklet. For a serious collector of Wetterlings, right now the badge would be quite valuable to complete their set.

Hey I'm just curious about this; Are the ticks real BAD in the different parts of the country? In Maine for the past 2 or 3 years they've been off the charts. Already pulled 2 deer ticks out of me in one week! Geez.
I'm wondering if it's a nationwide thing or if we new englanders get to have all the fun....

Hey I'm just curious about this; Are the ticks real BAD in the different parts of the country? In Maine for the past 2 or 3 years they've been off the charts. Already pulled 2 deer ticks out of me in one week! Geez.
I'm wondering if it's a nationwide thing or if we new englanders get to have all the fun....
No shortage in any of the rocky mountain states. They rain down off of rocks and trees and the tall grass or brush is just a guarantee this time of year.

Thanks for your replies. I don't know how else I could ask a question nationwide and get an answer so quick! :).
They've been almost an epidemic here the past few years. This time of year is always bad but they've never been like this in my lifetime anyway. All my buddy's with dogs are pulling as many as 5 or 6 off every time they let them out. It's bad.... And it's the deer ticks that are proliferating. Little buggers.

This spring is by far the worst I have ever seen in south western Maine.

Not a fan of ticks but have two tick stories. I had one sneak into the top of my sock to grab a bite to eat off me in South Africa. Didn’t know it was there until that evening, pulled my boots off, and popped it accidentally. Couple of days later I ended up very sick with some sort of lymphatic/glandular infection that was persistent. The doctors asked me if I had smeared my calves with petroleum jelly before heading out... Made me love coastal Oregon that much more...

Whatever big picture niche they fill in in nature, I wish they didn’t.

When i was doing my ent degree I only meet two true acarologists, although more who were experts by way of disease ecology and medical entomology. Neither of them liked the organism. In fact I don't recall a single person who was fond of ticks (fascination notwithstanding). This is interesting because biologists almost always love their organism. Spiders, nematodes, even freaking mosquitos get love. Ticks are horrible, full stop.

You guys in New England are in a real hot spot for tick activity. Especially the notorious Ixodes spp. It's not a coincidence that's where Lyme was described. Western Michigan is real bad, too - and getting worse... climate change.

You've got 48 hours, generally (cdc tells people 24 to get them mobilized), to nab em. The bacteria multiplies on your blood in it's gut after the tick starts feeding in you. That ~48 hours is how long it takes the bacteria to reach an infectious stage after chowing on your blood.

I think probably everyone here knows this. And that most cases of Lyme are transmitted by nymphs and not the large, easy to notice adults. The larvae come off in the spring as nymphs, which is when you see these population explosions. Of course, the Ixodes/Lyme combo is only one of many tick borne illnesses :thumbsup:

I'd rather deal with black flies than ticks, and that's saying something.

Anyway I need to shut up or this post will keep getting longer and longer and even more tldr. I will say I'm happy to live in a temperate climate. Our problems with vector-borne diseases are child's play compared to the disease burden in the tropics. I've had malaria myself, and it's not the worst thing out there by a long shot.

That sucks. There are none at all west of the Cascade Mountains. I don’t know why, too wet, too cold... idk but it’s not a problem here.
I have also, for most of my life, believed that ticks stayed east of the Cascade Range..... but this year we have found quite a few in SW Washington! At least I have not found a rattlesnake on the west side yet!

I have also, for most of my life, believed that ticks stayed east of the Cascade Range..... but this year we have found quite a few in SW Washington! At least I have not found a rattlesnake on the west side yet!
Well I hate to “like” this. Because as a painter in the North West I have been banking on this global warming thing to pay off. It was finally coming around and now you’re going to ruin it with this!?! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks a million for this mate it is so AWESOME!

Geez sorry the postage ended up being so much, I was suprised to see it cost that, thank you very much I will treasure this pick keychain!

3mFyeC8.jpg

fPnAafS.jpg

Anyone know what's fishy about my photo?

Back