The Members Discussion Thread

I haven't but it seems to be very popular. I only have a steel hammer and thought it was too rough/risky to be smashing on the knob with?
I have no experience with the one you posted, just the solid rubber ones. They are very forgiving and kind to the haft but there is just to much bounce there for my taste in seating the head on the shoulder. I use steel hammers but wonder if a good wooden mallet might not be the best compromise.

+1 Nothing seats it better than metal. It provides a more solid thwack rather than a springy thung. It looks funny typed but that's how it sounds when you whack the haft.

I have no experience with the one you posted, just the solid rubber ones. They are very forgiving and kind to the haft but there is just to much bounce there for my taste in seating the head on the shoulder. I use steel hammers but wonder if a good wooden mallet might not be the best compromise.

We have several nicer woodcraft stores and they carry a German mallet that looks good.
This is one I bought several years ago from a guy who collects nautical antiques and he said it was lignum vitae.
It puts a push on what it hits.

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

They all have a place in the shop I suppose. @rjdankert made a quite nice wooden mallet if I remember correctly.

We have several nicer woodcraft stores and they carry a German mallet that looks good.
This is one I bought several years ago from a guy who collects nautical antiques and he said it was lignum vitae.
It puts a push on what it hits.

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

They all have a place in the shop I suppose. @rjdankert made a quite nice wooden mallet if I remember correctly.
That's a beauty it is. Must of hit some steel to dent that bad boy!

I have plans to cut me some gnarly mountain mahogany this summer for a mallet project. Its about as hard as anything we have close by.

Sure there is. A Les Paul is an axe.
What about a Gretsch?
Well not technically, it's a kit that's based on the 5440 Bass, still needs a good set up and i have to move the tail piece over but it's come together quite nicely, i dont think im gonna be making too many of these because i went through an entire 30 dollar can of nitro-cellulose lacquer on this guy.
1xtTzNe.jpg

sorry for the grainy picture but it's Maple plywood over basswood bracing with a solid maple neck.

Do you guys want to see better pictures in a week or so when i fix it?

What about a Gretsch?
Well not technically, it's a kit that's based on the 5440 Bass, still needs a good set up and i have to move the tail piece over but it's come together quite nicely, i dont think im gonna be making too many of these because i went through an entire 30 dollar can of nitro-cellulose lacquer on this guy.
1xtTzNe.jpg

sorry for the grainy picture but it's Maple plywood over basswood bracing with a solid maple neck.

Do you guys want to see better pictures in a week or so when i fix it?
Yes please! More pics are always welcome as far as I'm concerned. That's a gorgeous guitar!

Nice Les Paul! What’s fishy? Um, a Custom with gold hardware oughta be black? Just kidding. What year is it?

I can't even on sell it (places like bars and such would like to hang it on the wall I am sure!), I made a listing and it got removed as well as a warning issued, it's illegal to sell fakes, I didn't even think about it.

9PXsyKI.jpg

had to add more than a few effects to counteract my camera, it doesnt like this color red in this lighting. got to play it today and it has quite clear tone, it doesnt go down as "wooly" as i would like but hey, that's what jazz basses are for. I did a few fixes that needed to happen in order to make it playable, like moving the tail piece (chrome bit on the end) to the left a bit to center the strings and filed the nut (not pictured).
U2BaCZc.jpg

this is really the best picture i could take to show the grain

Back