1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Members Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by KiwiBloke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Sure there is. A Les Paul is an axe.

2. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    ...and you just ruined our upcoming camping trip to the Olympic Peninsula. LoL

3. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Until I see you cut down a tree or split wood with one, I won't believe it. ;)

Yankee Josh, Nbrackett and KiwiBloke like this.
  4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I have no experience with the one you posted, just the solid rubber ones. They are very forgiving and kind to the haft but there is just to much bounce there for my taste in seating the head on the shoulder. I use steel hammers but wonder if a good wooden mallet might not be the best compromise.

Fmont, KiwiBloke and A17 like this.
  5. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    +1 Nothing seats it better than metal. It provides a more solid thwack rather than a springy thung. It looks funny typed but that's how it sounds when you whack the haft.

Fmont, garry3 and KiwiBloke like this.
  6. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    We have several nicer woodcraft stores and they carry a German mallet that looks good.
    This is one I bought several years ago from a guy who collects nautical antiques and he said it was lignum vitae.
    It puts a push on what it hits.
    [​IMG]
    Mallet

[​IMG]
    Mallet

[​IMG]
    Mallet

They all have a place in the shop I suppose. @rjdankert made a quite nice wooden mallet if I remember correctly.

7. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    very cool!

Agent_H likes this.
  8. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I imagine there are some wild NZ hardwoods you could fashion to do the same.

garry3 likes this.
  9. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    That's a beauty it is. Must of hit some steel to dent that bad boy!

I have plans to cut me some gnarly mountain mahogany this summer for a mallet project. Its about as hard as anything we have close by.

10. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    If you make a "second", I will run it.

rjdankert and garry3 like this.
  11. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That will require a very large amp. ;)

Yankee Josh, Trailsawyer, A17 and 4 others like this.
  12. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  13. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    What about a Gretsch?
    Well not technically, it's a kit that's based on the 5440 Bass, still needs a good set up and i have to move the tail piece over but it's come together quite nicely, i dont think im gonna be making too many of these because i went through an entire 30 dollar can of nitro-cellulose lacquer on this guy.
    [​IMG]
    sorry for the grainy picture but it's Maple plywood over basswood bracing with a solid maple neck.

Do you guys want to see better pictures in a week or so when i fix it?

garry3, KiwiBloke, jake pogg and 5 others like this.
  14. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yes please! More pics are always welcome as far as I'm concerned. That's a gorgeous guitar!

A17, KiwiBloke and phantomknives like this.
  15. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you!

A17, KiwiBloke and Yankee Josh like this.
  16. Curt Hal

Curt Hal Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Nice Les Paul! What’s fishy? Um, a Custom with gold hardware oughta be black? Just kidding. What year is it?

17. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

garry3, ithinkverydeeply, A17 and 7 others like this.
  18. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    @phantomknives awesome bass!

Sadly it is a chinese fake. Given to me by someone who thought it was real.

phantomknives and Yankee Josh like this.
  19. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    I can't even on sell it (places like bars and such would like to hang it on the wall I am sure!), I made a listing and it got removed as well as a warning issued, it's illegal to sell fakes, I didn't even think about it.

20. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    had to add more than a few effects to counteract my camera, it doesnt like this color red in this lighting. got to play it today and it has quite clear tone, it doesnt go down as "wooly" as i would like but hey, that's what jazz basses are for. I did a few fixes that needed to happen in order to make it playable, like moving the tail piece (chrome bit on the end) to the left a bit to center the strings and filed the nut (not pictured).
    [​IMG]
    this is really the best picture i could take to show the grain