1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Members Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by KiwiBloke, Feb 21, 2019.

1. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    Pink guitar picks as well!

Yankee Josh and KiwiBloke like this.
  2. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    No thang. I’m just happy to see it go to a good home!

Square_peg, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  3. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    In his defense, some people call a guitar an axe. ;)

4. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Haha good call man!

A17 and Yankee Josh like this.
  5. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Mother of pearl inlays?

I was born and raised in Kalamazoo, retired from a Kalamazoo company, and still live close but outside of the city. Excellent taste in guitars my friend.:thumbsup:

Bob

Fmont, junkenstien, KiwiBloke and 3 others like this.
  6. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Not quite.. let me give you a hint.. I wouldn't be able to sell this guitar even if I wanted too..

7. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    I'm trying to decide whether I should get a 2lb black rubber mallet which I can wrap a piece of cloth over to avoid black marks for $15nzd or a 3lb Thor white nylon hammer for $75nzd.. Another thing is the Thor has a face of 2 inches so need to be more accurate the typical rubber mallet has a larger face.

For some reason you can't buy 3lb rubber mallets in NZ or even 2lb white ones.

Wondering if I should pay top dollar for a good hammer dedicated to hanging axes.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Have you used rubber mallets to hang axes? Just wondering because some folks really like them and others don't.

KiwiBloke and junkenstien like this.
  9. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Thats to much for a rubber hammer lord have mercy,only use them on old handles so as to not split the swell most of the time a big wooden mallet works the best.

garry3 likes this.
  10. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    I haven't but it seems to be very popular. I only have a steel hammer and thought it was too rough/risky to be smashing on the knob with?

11. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    I think it is a fair price actually, its like the Estwing of soft hammers. Thor dominates the high end soft hammer market. It is not exactly design for hanging axes but instead for trades where a super heaver yet ultra delicate blow is required. The faces are interchangeable as they wear out. Would be perfect for hanging axes I thought except the 2 inch face is slightly small requiring accuracy but that is nothing to difficult.

So a mallet hand made and dry from some hardwood? I have a woodworking/carpenters wooden mallet and I was surprised to how delicate they are, I thought that would be the right thing to pound a wedge into and it left massive wedge dents in the face.

12. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Some guys use a deadblow mallet but those are also quite hard often being plastic or fiberglass.

13. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    This is what they look like.. I am very very open to something that will cost me a fraction of the price. All recommendations are welcomed. At this point my cheapest bet is a 2lb black rubber mallet for $15nzd from the hardware store. I was looking for a 3lb mallet however. And preferably white to avoid marking the wood.
    [​IMG]

14. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    See two pound white rubber hammers on amazon pretty cheap.Got four pound flooring mallets that look like they would work good for 35-50 us dollars.

15. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    You probably need more than one hammer :)
    (Went metric)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white ones don't leave marks that can't be removed, the black ones get abused. Bit of a consumable.
    I prefer wooden mallets. You can "feel" what you are doing/moving.

You could also look for someone in New Zealand that makes wooden mallets from local hardwoods and share what you find.

garry3, rjdankert, KiwiBloke and 3 others like this.
  16. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Thanks Agent :) Yes good to have a selection you are right. I have some hardwood close by I might grab a good sized piece and have a crack at carving a mallet myself

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  17. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
  18. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Rj I'm based in Lansing :) (Go Green)

rjdankert likes this.
  19. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    :cool:
    Made several trips to State in the 1980's when my daughter was a student there. Sent them a few $$$'s too.:p YES! Go Green

Bob

Fmont likes this.
  20. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Not true. The deer on Lopez Island have them bad. I've read that the other San Juan Islands have them, too. Kind of a banana belt up there. Drier climate.

A17 and ithinkverydeeply like this.