The Members Discussion Thread

Thanks a million for this mate it is so AWESOME!

Geez sorry the postage ended up being so much, I was suprised to see it cost that, thank you very much I will treasure this pick keychain!

3mFyeC8.jpg

fPnAafS.jpg

Anyone know what's fishy about my photo?
No thang. I’m just happy to see it go to a good home!

Not quite.. let me give you a hint.. I wouldn't be able to sell this guitar even if I wanted too..

I like the white rubber too. The 1lb. (1lb10oz total) Estwing will do but I’d like a bigger one.
E8065-CB6-29-B0-47-C3-9-BC1-683-CC5-C8-A0-C5.jpg

Your pickpocket should arrive Monday!

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a 2lb black rubber mallet which I can wrap a piece of cloth over to avoid black marks for $15nzd or a 3lb Thor white nylon hammer for $75nzd.. Another thing is the Thor has a face of 2 inches so need to be more accurate the typical rubber mallet has a larger face.

For some reason you can't buy 3lb rubber mallets in NZ or even 2lb white ones.

Wondering if I should pay top dollar for a good hammer dedicated to hanging axes.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a 2lb black rubber mallet which I can wrap a piece of cloth over to avoid black marks for $15nzd or a 3lb Thor white nylon hammer for $75nzd.. Another thing is the Thor has a face of 2 inches so need to be more accurate the typical rubber mallet has a larger face.

Wondering if I should pay top dollar for a good hammer dedicated to hanging axes.
Have you used rubber mallets to hang axes? Just wondering because some folks really like them and others don't.

Thats to much for a rubber hammer lord have mercy,only use them on old handles so as to not split the swell most of the time a big wooden mallet works the best.

Have you used rubber mallets to hang axes? Just wondering because some folks really like them and others don't.

I haven't but it seems to be very popular. I only have a steel hammer and thought it was too rough/risky to be smashing on the knob with?

Thats to much for a rubber hammer lord have mercy,only use them on old handles so as to not split the swell most of the time a big wooden mallet works the best.
I think it is a fair price actually, its like the Estwing of soft hammers. Thor dominates the high end soft hammer market. It is not exactly design for hanging axes but instead for trades where a super heaver yet ultra delicate blow is required. The faces are interchangeable as they wear out. Would be perfect for hanging axes I thought except the 2 inch face is slightly small requiring accuracy but that is nothing to difficult.

So a mallet hand made and dry from some hardwood? I have a woodworking/carpenters wooden mallet and I was surprised to how delicate they are, I thought that would be the right thing to pound a wedge into and it left massive wedge dents in the face.

This is what they look like.. I am very very open to something that will cost me a fraction of the price. All recommendations are welcomed. At this point my cheapest bet is a 2lb black rubber mallet for $15nzd from the hardware store. I was looking for a 3lb mallet however. And preferably white to avoid marking the wood.
M9RxrZR.jpg

See two pound white rubber hammers on amazon pretty cheap.Got four pound flooring mallets that look like they would work good for 35-50 us dollars.

You probably need more than one hammer :)
(Went metric)
B096-ACD3-9909-48-DE-9-D02-F6-D86-DD12-C6-E.jpg

434-ABD53-F67-E-43-F9-962-B-6-ED58102-AD3-E.jpg

1-E3-D1-B0-B-4900-4555-BD1-F-64-C57-A24-DD6-F.jpg

2-A1-F0-CC5-B40-E-44-C9-B0-A4-DDBF54-AB5-B6-B.jpg

The white ones don't leave marks that can't be removed, the black ones get abused. Bit of a consumable.
I prefer wooden mallets. You can "feel" what you are doing/moving.

You could also look for someone in New Zealand that makes wooden mallets from local hardwoods and share what you find.

You probably need more than one hammer :)
(Went metric)
B096-ACD3-9909-48-DE-9-D02-F6-D86-DD12-C6-E.jpg

434-ABD53-F67-E-43-F9-962-B-6-ED58102-AD3-E.jpg

1-E3-D1-B0-B-4900-4555-BD1-F-64-C57-A24-DD6-F.jpg

2-A1-F0-CC5-B40-E-44-C9-B0-A4-DDBF54-AB5-B6-B.jpg

The white ones don't leave marks that can't be removed, the black ones get abused. Bit of a consumable.
I prefer wooden mallets. You can "feel" what you are doing/moving.

You could also look for someone in New Zealand that makes wooden mallets from local hardwoods and share what you find.
Thanks Agent :) Yes good to have a selection you are right. I have some hardwood close by I might grab a good sized piece and have a crack at carving a mallet myself

Last edited:
Back