The Members Discussion Thread

How heavy to you like it to be?
I like the white rubber too. The 1lb. (1lb10oz total) Estwing will do but I’d like a bigger one.
E8065-CB6-29-B0-47-C3-9-BC1-683-CC5-C8-A0-C5.jpg

Your pickpocket should arrive Monday!

I like the white rubber too. The 1lb. (1lb10oz total) Estwing will do but I’d like a bigger one.
E8065-CB6-29-B0-47-C3-9-BC1-683-CC5-C8-A0-C5.jpg

Your pickpocket should arrive Monday!

That's a real nice hammer, I have always love Estwing hammers. My dad still has his first hammer some many decades later which is an Estwing. It pays to purchase something nice that you will enjoy using. One day I'll get that hammer and lets see if it lasts to my children and who knows how many generations. My grandfather held on to nothing before he passed away he sold practically absolutely everything (I was too young to get some things first). I will make sure there is plenty to go to my grand children.

Thanks mate I cannot wait to get the pick pocket! I hope you left your return address on the package, I will send something in return to you one day when I come across something appropriate I think you will find cool.

Seeing as there will be no more Wetterlings Axes ever made again I took the opportunity to buy 3 axes from a store in New Zealand. I reckon this is the last remaining stash of Wetterlings in the World. Most models sold out by now though.

The Wetterlings Scout Hatchet which comes with booklet and badge. Sheath has a D ring on top for hanging from a pack. This is a 1940's reproduction. This will probably be a wall hanger. 15.5" handle.
The Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet. This was their smallest head from the main line. 13" handle. Perfect for backpacking.
The Wetterlings Mini-Maul. A splitting hatchet with a heavy head, raised bevels and a hardened poll! 17" handle.

These girls have been sitting around in a store for at least a couple of years I would say maybe more. The wood and sheaths are bone dry! Will oil them up now, must be so thirsty.

Some advice though.. What should I do with the Scout Hatchet? The wood looks dry but am worried a light coating of BLO will screw up the stickers. Has anyone blo'd over a sticker? What hppened to it?

I couldn't be happier!

xrubuvS.jpg

OdMcHMK.jpg

Seeing as there will be no more Wetterlings Axes ever made again I took the opportunity to buy 3 axes from a store in New Zealand. I reckon this is the last remaining stash of Wetterlings in the World. Most models sold out by now though.

The Wetterlings Scout Hatchet which comes with booklet and badge. Sheath has a D ring on top for hanging from a pack. This is a 1940's reproduction. This will probably be a wall hanger. 15.5" handle.
The Wetterlings Wildlife Hatchet. This was their smallest head from the main line. 13" handle. Perfect for backpacking.
The Wetterlings Mini-Maul. A splitting hatchet with a heavy head, raised bevels and a hardened poll! 17" handle.

These girls have been sitting around in a store for at least a couple of years I would say maybe more. The wood and sheaths are bone dry! Will oil them up now, must be so thirsty.

Some advice though.. What should I do with the Scout Hatchet? The wood looks dry but am worried a light coating of BLO will screw up the stickers. Has anyone blo'd over a sticker? What hppened to it?

I couldn't be happier!

xrubuvS.jpg

OdMcHMK.jpg
Wow! Super cool!
I successfully BLO’d around the parameter of the sticker on this carnival mallet’s handle. (The wood on this handle was not as porous nor the sticker as delicate as the saw I’m worried about.)
ObCk74X.jpg

I could put it upside down in a very very shallow trey of oil? The axe is slightly proud. Enough to have it stand up on the wedge in blo but not get the head wet. Maybe sitting like that for a few days would would suck enough up to the middle of the handle? It doesn't really matter if it only swells the head on tighter as it won't be used but the wood in the middle section just above the red paint is very dry

Honestly it probably won't soak up more than a quarter inch anyway. Maybe the best option is to apply it very, very lightly to exposed areas, as itvd did. Just to get that light polymerized finish on the surface to mitigate humidity fluctuations effect on the wood.

Another option may be a light coat of paste wax? It doesn't sound like it will be handled much.

The other option, of course, is to do nothing. The end grain is painted, which is always the most worrisome area. By now the wood should be very dimensionally stable. If it's in a well controlled/consistent environment it can probably just sit there for a couple hundred years lol

Thanks for your input mate I think I will just let this one sit for now. I am wondering if one day I will just lose the plot, go outside and start swinging the bugger, pulling nails and smashing in tent poles! haha. I'll oil it then :p

Here's a question then folks.. would you use this hatchet or leave it pristine? I believe in 20 years this set in mint condition with the handbook and badge will be worth a small fortune to the right collector. A wonderful piece of axe history.

Thanks for your input mate I think I will just let this one sit for now. I am wondering if one day I will just lose the plot, go outside and start swinging the bugger, pulling nails and smashing in tent poles! haha. I'll oil it then :p
Ok clearly you cannot be trusted with this hatchet and the most responsible thing to do would be to sell it to me. ;)

On a whim I ordered a couple Husqvarna axes. And the truth is I just didn't care much for them so they didn't get used much. By the time I got around to auctioning them off they no longer made those particular models so they went for more than I had paid for them. I could have done quite well in hind site if I had purchased a case of them.
Them Wetterlings are going to bring a heck of a return in NOS condition.

Back