The most important lesson you've learned about knives.

Of course I've learned a lot of small things and details since I got involved in this hobby, but the main revelation to me that I didn't know before has probably been what a big industry it is and how much people are willing to pay for certain knives.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

I've bought knives that looked perfect to me on paper but IRL were kinda meh. And knives I hated but IRL something clicked and they became one of my favorite.

When trading with some folks, they’ll tell you that your knives are crap, and their knives are gold.
(Same applies to firearms)

Learnt a couple important lessons over the years...

Don't practice balisong whilst standing on a floor you are not willing to destroy.

The perfect knife for somebody else is rarely the perfect knife for me.

Touching up your edge every now and again beats a full-on sharpening session.

99.999995 % of folks think you paid WAAAAAYYYYY too much for that knife in your pocket.

"Touching up your edge every now and again beats a full-on sharpening session."

This is a great reminder, even to a guy that's been sharpening knives for 30+ years.

That's the way you do it ! Took me around 30 years, too, to understand that. But better late than never, right ?

Last edited:
That's the way you do it ! Took me around 30 years, too, to understand that. But better later than never, right ?

Ha, I'm not so sure I've learned my lesson, yet. I still have to break out the diamond stones when I let one of the super steels go too long without a touch up.

That after a certain price point, the margin of quality does not increase proportionate with the margin increase in price.
Put differently, a $50 knife is way, way better than a $25 knife; a $100 knife is way better than a $50 knife - but a $200 knife may not be so proportionately better than a $100 knife. The there is more true as the numbers get bigger.

Additionally, there is much more innate joy in using the daylights out of a $100 knife than there is owning but being afraid to use a $500 knife.

I've also learned that those who really use ... I really use at a significant intensity and for a significant amount of time generally seem to have less expensive knives. Those that have unused or very lightly used safe queens and pocket jewelry generally have more expensive knives. Yes, these are exceptions - many on BF, but generally speaking that is what I have found over the years.

Unless you’re a smoker yourself or are unbothered by the lingering odor of stale cigarette smoke, make sure you’re buying knives and gear from a smoke-free environment.

Unless you’re a smoker yourself or are unbothered by the lingering odor of stale cigarette smoke, make sure you’re buying knives and gear from a smoke-free environment.

I've bought dozens of knives online and have never smelled smoke on one, though, they are all folders. Maybe if you're buying a fixed blade with a sheath? I can see how maybe the leather sheath would absorb smoke.

I am a non-smoker, and I wipe down all knives with rubbing alcohol and a heavy rag after unboxing.

If it doesn't get used, it's not a knife. It's a paperweight.

I have exactly one, an 8" downswept double edge damascus blade with snakewood scales and mosaic pins. The maker sold it to me for less than the price of the materials.

I carry a $300 fixed blade every day. I don't really care about folders, tho I carry one of those every day, as well. I've never paid more than $100 for a folder.

When you're thinking about a new knife, and the reasons you think why it would be a great addition, remember you probably have knives in your collection that you bought for the very same reason, so go use them and rediscover them. Maybe it was the the excitement of getting something new in the mail that peaked your interest.

Back